cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Lady & tow dolly. Can this relationship work?

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes! Think I've made a big mistake.

Last week I got all, "I've got to do my part to save the planet!" and traded in my flat-tow Honda CRV for a Toyota Prius -- for which I will need a tow dolly. I was just watching some YouTube how-to videos on tow dollies, with the explanations being provided by hunky, strong men. My question is whether I will be strong enough to do all that. In theory it seems simple. But there is a lot of ground-crawling and cranking. Do any of you use tow dollies? Or will I need to buy a second vehicle to flat-tow?

I'm a healthy, 5-foot-tall, 66-year-old woman. I've been motorhoming (is THAT a verb?) it solo for a dozen years, always flat-towing a CRV. But now I am in (impulsive) unknown territory.

Any suggestions (or reassurance??) from those two-wheel tow-ers?
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system
31 REPLIES 31

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed CRVs and Elements for years. The fuse switch is all you need.

Also replace battery every 2-3 years.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me more about this umbilical

Here's a link to a 7 pin which you should have on the coach end, at least... Wiring
Whether or not you have a spare on the toad end, I can't be sure, but an alternative is to just wire tie an extra run of #12, alongside the umbilical and attach a separate one pin connector on each end.
I did this once on a factory cable that I didn't want to change out and for running a dash indicator light, telling me when the toad brakes were being supplied.
In your case, the coach end would then run to the chassis battery with an inline fuse attached at the pos terminal and the same for the toad's battery.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
OK, something went wrong here, so will have to start over
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Getup'ngo wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Getup'ngo wrote:

Last week I got all, "I've got to do my part to save the planet!" and traded in my flat-tow Honda CRV for a Toyota Prius -- for which I will need a tow dolly. I was just watching some YouTube how-to videos on tow dollies, with the explanations being provided by hunky, strong men. My question is whether I will be strong enough to do all that. In theory it seems simple. But there is a lot of ground-crawling and cranking. Do any of you use tow dollies? Or will I need to buy a second vehicle to flat-tow?

I'm a healthy, 5-foot-tall, 66-year-old woman. I've been motorhoming (is THAT a verb?) it solo for a dozen years, always flat-towing a CRV. But now I am in (impulsive) unknown territory.

I've never heard of anyone going from flat towing to a dolly, that was happy, but one never know. As for what it takes, you'll become as good at it, as the the next person, I'm sure

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. After a few days of "turd shopping" trying to find a good older-model tow, I made an executive decision. I bought back my Honda CRV trade-in and will get a fuse switch to save the battery.

(Now, I need a garage stretcher ...) ๐Ÿ˜‰

So I've scheduled my next trip, flat-towing again. Life is good. (And I don't have to change my rv.net signature)

Are you saying that you copped out on the deal or do you still have the Prius?
As for the battery, an extra wire in the umbilical cord, connecting both batteries and with a fuse on both ends, should keep your toad, well charged.

Yes, I kept the Prius. It's fun to drive and I got 480 miles on 8 gallons of gas. Tell me more about the umbilical. Is this a special one you can buy?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Getup'ngo wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Getup'ngo wrote:

I've never heard of anyone going from flat towing to a dolly, that was happy, but one never know. As for what it takes, you'll become as good at it, as the the next person, I'm sure

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. After a few days of "turd shopping" trying to find a good older-model tow, I made an executive decision. I bought back my Honda CRV trade-in and will get a fuse switch to save the battery.

So I've scheduled my next trip, flat-towing again. Life is good. (And I don't have to change my rv.net signature)

Are you saying that you copped out on the deal or do you still have the Prius?
As for the battery, an extra wire in the umbilical cord, connecting both batteries and with a fuse on both ends, should keep your toad, well charged.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Getup'ngo wrote:

Good plan.

I did not need a charge line on my 04 CRV w/o a navigation system. In checking the voltage it was apparent there was some drain. So when the opportunity arose I upgraded from my 4 wire cable to 6. Wire #5 was the charge line and wire #6 lights a cab light when the toad aux brake is applied.

The Grand Cherokee (purchased used and was set up for towing) has the identical wiring but the charge line is not used nor needed. And the aux brake is air so no battery drain.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Getup'ngo wrote:

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Getup'ngo wrote:

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
On my tracker the instructions stated to start it every 250 miles. Which for years I did just that and everything worked just fine on the Tracker.

Then on my last leg of a trip I thought what the heck I'm close so I didn't stop to start it at 250 miles.

Well the battery was dead upon arrival. So I guess the starting it every 250 miles also was also charging the battery back up.

To OP: That decision has to be yours and basically it seems you are committed since you already bought the car!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical_ron wrote:
I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the proven solution for flat towing later model used crv. We tow a 2010 crv. After several instances of dead bettery we bought a remote fuse switch that solved the problem. Note newest year Honda's cannot be flat towed because of different transmission now being used. Do a search for honda towing and you will find many posts.

It seems to me that running a battery charge circuit from the motorhome would be relatively easy too and you would not have to mess with the fuse.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to beat a CRV.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We used a Demco SS to tow our VW. I installed longer safety chains that allowed me to thread them through the wheels without having to lay on the ground. With that simple mod, I could drive it up, attach everything without getting down on the ground.
As far as moving it, that was pretty simple and rarely necessary. We use pull through sites as much as possible and if it's a back-in, we either just push it back or leave it attached and back in.
Good luck,
Gary

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Getup'ngo wrote:

Last week I got all,

"I've got to do my part to save the planet!"

and traded in my flat-tow Honda CRV for a Toyota Prius .....

What you didn't take into account was you WERE already saving the planet!!

By flat towing the Honda behind your RV you were just 'dragging around the Honda not running'! Just think how much carbons you saved the planet from! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you're old at 66, you should turn in your drivers license and go on a cruise. :B