cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing for Atlantic Canada

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip into Atlantic Canada, including Newfoundland, next summer. My basic idea is to be in Canada the last week on May and most of June. My first thought is to be in the US for Victoria Day, in Canada for Memorial Day, out of Canada by the July 1 weekend, and Home before the 4th of July.

Will mosquitos be a problem that time of year?

Am I right in thinking that in June I won't need to worry about campground reservations, but in July I would need to make them?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
11 REPLIES 11

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Blackflies:(

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I should also say the provincial parks don't open until maybe late may? Not sure about others...but we boondocks. I do know that the one in Doyles is open as e have stayed there when it was threatening snow....before we had done much cold camping in our motorhome.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Wayne,
We travel Newfoundland like you are thinking but we mostly boondocks maybe one or two campgrounds in two months...or not.

You MAY need reservations for ferry on the way back but we have never made them but do call ahead to see what is available. But make them if you wish.

We don't like crowds either and have the place to ourselves in May/June. Provincial parks are great and a source for laundry/dumping but it is cold...be prepared for that and the mountains could have snow in May. STILL a great time to be there.

We did hit bad mosquitos one time in June/mid but we just moved on to another area or more breezy area. I think you plan is solid.
Donna and David
And we are part of boondockers welcome so you can stay at our house if you need to on the way out!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did Atlantic Canada a couple years ago. Even in Maine nothing much is open before Memorial Day. We crossed to Newfoundland first few days of June & spent a month there specifically to catch the best of iceberg viewing. No reservations. No problems getting sites till later in the month.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
waynefi wrote:
I'm not sure if I should let you guys scare me off or not. I do most of my camping in spring and fall, to avoid crowds. Maybe this area is enough cooler and less crowded anyway that I should reconsider. I don't mind cool, but wet is a problem.

Are insects worse in June or in July?

My original plan dodges the holiday weekends. Part of my plan is to visit Acadia park in Maine just before Memorial day, because it gets crowded later.

June is great cool weather in NB, NS and PEI. I have not been to Newfoundland in June but I hear it is cooler and rainy. July is certainly better for that province weather wise. No matter what time of year you come, the warmth and sincerity of the people is always there. Black flies can be bad in June if you are in wooded areas more than in July.

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if I should let you guys scare me off or not. I do most of my camping in spring and fall, to avoid crowds. Maybe this area is enough cooler and less crowded anyway that I should reconsider. I don't mind cool, but wet is a problem.

Are insects worse in June or in July?

My original plan dodges the holiday weekends. Part of my plan is to visit Acadia park in Maine just before Memorial day, because it gets crowded later.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Personally I would reschedule and wait until July. Not summer yet in Atlantic Canada in June. Still too cool,,,,
2010 Suncruiser

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Go as soon as you can to see the icebergsMay start of icebergs. ans stay as long as you can to see the whales.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Note date on photo
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
You can expect to need reservations for any long weekend, even at that time of year. As others have said, bring warm dry clothes. June can be cold and wet.
Dan

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
June is still spring.

Lived in Newfoundland for 24.5 years. "Old NL saying: we have two seasons, winter and July." Don't expect much patching of winter road heaves before July. Still there are lots of things to see.

5 weeks is a short time for such a trip.

😛
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
Mosquitoes can start being a hassle in June, so can the black flies. But its not like in Alaska or Yukon, if what I read about those places is accurate. You should be fine to get a place to camp easily enough but if you have a specific area or specific national park you want to stay at, I encourage making reservations. Late May and Early June are great for camping as the kids are still in school so less crowded for sure. We have had rainy springs the last couple of years. Newfoundland can be cold and wet that time of year as well.

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra