cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Gas or Diesel ?

LoveTheWest
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering how the 2019 Ford diesel stacks up.

OR... should I stick with a gas engine.
My driving will be about 50/50 city driving / out in the country driving.

Thanks for your comments.
35 REPLIES 35

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
LoveTheWest wrote:

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the ecoboost?

We seem to get 17.6 mpg no matter what. Climbing mountains, doing 80+ mph in Montana.....

We got 14+ pulling my daughter's car home on a dolly (included mountain driving)

My caveat: we have a "naked roof" - the only thing protruding is the low-profile Maxx-Air fan lid. No big safari rack, awning, or solar array - IMO, those can really cut down the mpgs
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

LoveTheWest
Explorer
Explorer
wr1032 wrote:
I do not own a diesel, but I seen this on the internet a number of years ago.
https://www.google.com/search?lei=rVXgW6aFBZL_zgL0vpHgBA&q=6.7%20powerstroke%20cab%20removal&ved=0ahUKEwjTtbCbvb3eAhXnc98KHTQUAzcQsKwBCBIoAA&biw=1082&bih=458

Bill that link didn't produce anything. Maybe it's my computer.

LoveTheWest
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

I have driven all 3 major brands of trucks in diesel and gas - the newer DEF-additive based diesel motors seemed very nice and insanely powerful. Even though I'm not really a fan of Ram, my Hemi-powered 1/2 ton truck was fun ๐Ÿ˜‰

However - right now, I have a Transit T-250 (homemade converted cargo) with the 3.5 Ecoboost (gas) motor: the thing is a rocketship!! I call it my "9-foot tall Ferrari" - when you touch the gas, the van jumps. Even pulling a tow dolly with my daughter's Prius through the mountains, it had ample power climbing steep hills (and perfectly-controlled manners going back down). I love the thing - it's truly a pleasure to drive. You owe it to yourself to test-drive one ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for telling me about the ecoboost. I will definitely look into it.

you know... I have always loved diesel. I use to own an old 1985 Mercedes turbo diesel. I had that car for 9 years and loved it. I like the sound of it, I didnt mind the smell of it.
it was fun to drive when the turbo kicked in,

but -- I am one who is never in a hurry to get anywhere so if there was ever any hesitation I didnt care. I am the kind of driver that really waits to merge with traffic when there is a good opening I feel comfortable with.

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the ecoboost?

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

I have driven all 3 major brands of trucks in diesel and gas - the newer DEF-additive based diesel motors seemed very nice and insanely powerful. Even though I'm not really a fan of Ram, my Hemi-powered 1/2 ton truck was fun ๐Ÿ˜‰

However - right now, I have a Transit T-250 (homemade converted cargo) with the 3.5 Ecoboost (gas) motor: the thing is a rocketship!! I call it my "9-foot tall Ferrari" - when you touch the gas, the van jumps. Even pulling a tow dolly with my daughter's Prius through the mountains, it had ample power climbing steep hills (and perfectly-controlled manners going back down). I love the thing - it's truly a pleasure to drive. You owe it to yourself to test-drive one ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of our campers had that problem. They said that it was a problem with โ€œinjectors?โ€
2017 Coachmen Galleria

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We have the "Ecoboost" in our Ford Explorer and it is one seriously powerful engine! The turbo in our Sprinter isn't quite the rocket as the Explorer, but it does have a tad more weight to move.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
Remember if you get a diesel you will have to get new carpet every season, the smell never go away. When you fuel up you will stand in diesel up to your knees. You need ear plugs to drive it.
They break done 3 times as much. Parts close twice as much. When you go to get them fixed you don' t go to and nice clear waiting room, you might have to set on a old dirty truck tire itf your lucky. And the smoke is so bad the niegbor won't speeh to you ever again.
Other then that there not much to say.

In all fairness: I HATE diesels. Despise the smell. Loathe the exhaust. Then Ed bought a 2013 F-350 with the DEF system. Nobody was more surprised than me, that it smelled fine both inside and out - I could actually stand next to a running (quietly I might add) diesel and not want to barf. This held true for the Silverado 2500 that came next; and the Ram that came after that. Here in Michigan's icebox, they started immediately. No smoke. No prolonged idling. I really LIKED those trucks ๐Ÿ™‚

But they're still not as much fun as the 3.5 Ecoboost....>LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
LoveTheWest wrote:
I am going to consider a diesel because i do want to be in the mountains in the summer time.

I just took my first trip through the mountains in AZ with my new Promaster. Of course, I am not towing anything, but I was so impressed with how well it did. Put it in Tow/Haul... I literally never even had to touch the brakes because the system did it all for me. I've driven this stretch for 14 years with 4 different rigs, and this was the easiest. Of course this is mostly moving down to the Phoenix area... but lots of climbing too.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wr1032 wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?lei=rVXgW6aFBZL_zgL0vpHgBA&q=6.7%20powerstroke%20cab%20removal&ved=0ahUKEwjTtbCbvb3eAhXnc98KHTQUAzcQsKwBCBIoAA&biw=1082&bih=458

Link
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wr1032
Explorer
Explorer
BILL

LoveTheWest
Explorer
Explorer
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
LoveTheWest wrote:
I am not sure exactly what I am considering buying. I am looking at everything right now.
All i know is the time has come to look into buying a van for camping.
I want it make it comfortable and airy inside.

And Ralph ! thats a great post about the 00 Silverado ! Point taken ! HAHAHA !

We looked (from a distance) at quite a few options. As camp hosts we had the opportunity to chat with people about their purchases, both gas and diesel. It seems it is a random thing for any chassis to have problems - gas or diesel. Most people who had more than a few miles on their MB Sprinter loved it. There were a few who experienced problems. There are forums on the internet that involve maintenance and repairs to them. Expensive.

We had pretty much decided we liked the ford diesel chassis and were looking at various B vans who had them. The service is easier and less costly. We didnโ€™t get it because ordering and buying out of state was too big a hassle for us at the time.

The gas options for some (RT and Pleasure Way) were another considerations we liked. If we werenโ€™t living in AK we probably would have checked these out. Some of the campers we met with them felt that they missed out by not getting diesel because of the travel through mountains, etc. would have been easier.

Hi thanks for your post. One thing I am not considering is a sprinter. MB is costly to do service on and i dont need that. I most likely will wind up with a ford.
I am going to consider a diesel because i do want to be in the mountains in the summer time.

But...I am not sure yet on what I want. I am giving myself a little more time to decide and talk to more people about it.

Thanks again for your posting.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
LoveTheWest wrote:
I am not sure exactly what I am considering buying. I am looking at everything right now.
All i know is the time has come to look into buying a van for camping.
I want it make it comfortable and airy inside.

And Ralph ! thats a great post about the 00 Silverado ! Point taken ! HAHAHA !

We looked (from a distance) at quite a few options. As camp hosts we had the opportunity to chat with people about their purchases, both gas and diesel. It seems it is a random thing for any chassis to have problems - gas or diesel. Most people who had more than a few miles on their MB Sprinter loved it. There were a few who experienced problems. There are forums on the internet that involve maintenance and repairs to them. Expensive.

We had pretty much decided we liked the ford diesel chassis and were looking at various B vans who had them. The service is easier and less costly. We didnโ€™t get it because ordering and buying out of state was too big a hassle for us at the time.

The gas options for some (RT and Pleasure Way) were another considerations we liked. If we werenโ€™t living in AK we probably would have checked these out. Some of the campers we met with them felt that they missed out by not getting diesel because of the travel through mountains, etc. would have been easier.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
LoveTheWest wrote:
SO let me ask you guys this. If you have a gas engine and you do run it up high miles -
what might the cost be to replace the engine ?

if you want to keep the rig you buy then you have to put in a new engine.
what are the costs that go with it as well ?

thanks

Last 3 trucks we've bought have been north of 100k miles and never considered replacing the engine.

As mentioned, it depends exactly what went wrong but for similar issues, the diesel engine will cost a heck of a lot more to replace.

By the time you hit 20yrs old, it's usually cheaper to just pick up a replacement 10yr old truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
LoveTheWest wrote:
I was wondering how the 2019 Ford diesel stacks up.

OR... should I stick with a gas engine.

LOL, Now look what you have done!

Do the math.

Diesel is roughly a $9K option.
Diesel is $0.54 more per gallon US average, more in some states like here in PA @ $0.64 more per gallon.

A prediction. People on these boards who have diesel will say "get a diesel", people with a gasser will say "get a gasser".

The thread will descend into chaos in short order and most likely be locked down LOL.
Remember if you get a diesel you will have to get new carpet every season, the smell never go away. When you fuel up you will stand in diesel up to your knees. You need ear plugs to drive it.
They break done 3 times as much. Parts close twice as much. When you go to get them fixed you don' t go to and nice clear waiting room, you might have to set on a old dirty truck tire itf your lucky. And the smoke is so bad the niegbor won't speeh to you ever again.
Other then that there not much to say.
So big a world, so little time to see.