cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front deck TH choices

dnewton3
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to discover options out there for open-air front-deck toy haulers. We are not interested in hybrid type models or pop-ups; only hard side full size units. About the only thing I've seen so far is the Palomini 177orvbh. There was a model within the Forest River brands, but I cannot locate it now.

Can you all suggest other options?
2006 Cherokee Lite with small personal mods and upgrades
2018 F-250 SD 6.2L SC 4x4
5 REPLIES 5

harley_hitchike
Explorer
Explorer
jayco octane super lite 210 GVW near 10,000 so I don't know why super lite, big deck overall near 36ft. Bed slides out rear .

Y-Guy
At one time there was one with a rear deck, with railing and a roof over it. Gave you nice open air and cover if it rained. Plus by having things loaded at the rear it helped balance the weight.

I think the greatest issue with these is the weight balance.

You might see if you can find one of the Cherokee Wolf Pack 20PACK10 to get some idea.

Hope you can find what you are looking for, the good news is that when I googled "Cherokee Wolf Pack 20PACK10" I found several used ones from 2016 & 2017.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dnewton3
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah - kind of my point ...
I've looked at a LOT of websites and found very little. The Palomini was just introduced recently; most others have already subsided. I've looked at many of the major sites; very little of what I seek, if at all.

One route is to find a custom RV maker and have one make to my own liking. Hard to find this and probably VERY pricy.

Another route is to get a traditional RV unit and floor plan I like, and then modify the chassis by adding a deck (done at a certified welding shop). (Being a Professional Engineer I can handle the load, balance and chassis calculations myself.)

Never understood why these didn't take off. I don't want a dirty, smelly, hot bike inside the same RV I am trying to sleep and live in ... so the more common THs with rear storage just does not appeal to me. Plus, front deck gives you at least two load/unload direction options. A buddy of mine has a new XLR TH with the drop-gate tail. He has to load/unload his Goldwing prior to setting up camp, and prior to leaving after breaking down camp, because his unit is so freaking long he could not drop the tail in the camp site.
2006 Cherokee Lite with small personal mods and upgrades
2018 F-250 SD 6.2L SC 4x4

Y-Guy
Something to be aware of. These tend to have very high tongue weights and even higher when you load up. Many of them do not have the capacity to carry much more then a bike and a BBQ. So do check the tongue rating and absolutely get it weighed on CAT scales before you buy. It wasn't that long ago that a member here ran into the weight issue, he was pretty much at capacity without loading his bike on it.

I'd also say the that this style of Toy Hauler never really took off in popularity, so resale might be a bit of a challenge.

While DutchmenSport gave you a list, I don't think many of them are still in production. The Cherokee Wolf Pack 20PACK10 is listed as Dealer Stock only, meaning it's being discontinued. In the main forum you'll find "The Complete List of Toy Haulers" worth checking each manufacturer to see if they offer what you are looking for.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Images, Click here.

Rockwood, Starcraft, Wolf Pack, Forest River Roo, Highlander, 20Pack10, just to name a few.