cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 week vacation next June! Space issue

krdodd13
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, but wanted some expert advice on our dilemma for next summer. We have a Embrace EL310. For the four of us (myself, my husband and two boys) it's great. Dilemma is my brother in law and sister in law will be joining us for a 2 week black hills, yellowstone, Estes park, lake of the ozarks vacation in June. Our issue is the fold out couch is TERRIBLY uncomfortable. It's one with no mattress, just the couch itself folds out. No one could sleep on it every night. Our thought was to buy an airmatress to put on top, but we would have to pump it up every night and deflate it every morning. Anyone have other ideas on how to make this situation work??? Cramped space and annoyance probably wont be much fun. LOL

Thanks in advance!!

Kim
12 REPLIES 12

rob-bill
Explorer
Explorer
I looked up the spec on an Embrace EL310 TT If that is what you have you should have no trouble with sleeping 6 people. Their web site says it will sleep 10 & with 1 king, 2 bunks & 3 sofa beds you should be able to sleep 6 ok. As for comfort the fume pads on the sofas should help.

The only problem that I see with your planed 2 week trip is with all the places you are planning to go you might be traveling more than camping. Yellowstone & Estes Park/rocky mountain NP either one could easily take a week & still not see every thing. Hope that you have a great trip RVing is a great way to see the parks

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry; they will not be spending any time sleeping on that sofa. Sleeping in the tow vehicle will someone drives, yes, but with the sites you plan to see, there will not be any time for camping.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago I purchased some new foam from www.thefoamfactory.com for the dinette cushions and a 4" memory foam topper with a gray and white striped mattress/topper cover for the bunk room roll-over couch. The couch folds out to a full size bed. The topper rolls up and fits nicely behind the couch but is still fairly large at 20" x 54".
Foam Factory is located in Macomb, MI and was a good on-line purchase experience.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the fixed dinette could you bring an ottoman along to make it longer? Would a cot fit between the seats when the table top is removed. Maybe a cot along side of the couch. When we camp with 6 adults for a long weekend we remove the table and chairs. A queen air mattress fits in the space. They have a yurt at the Lake of the Ozarks State Park. If their budget allows maybe a night or two at a park lodge or a Bed & Breakfast would be nice.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Could try air mattress made for hiking ,I have one I use while hiking I got on amazon takes very little room self inflating when unrolled sleeps well.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inlaws can make their own space if the existing comforts are inadequate.
How about a tent, cabin or second RV?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Look at RV parks such as KOA that have small cabins near the RV sites.

Get an air mattress with built in 120 vac air pump. Inflate and deflate in a couple of minutes when cabins are not available.

And be aware you will need reservations well in advance for some of those places unless you plan on sites with no hookups.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are your inlaws past 'camping' experience? Have they ever been 'camping' before? Or only used to hotels? Room service?

While you have a rig large enough for 6 people, are the new folks going to be able to handle the still confined situation/sleeping accommodations?

2 weeks is not a long time, but with an itinerary like you have planned, it could get.. Lets just say... Hetic..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
I would suggest a memory foam pad instead of an air mattress. You could roll it up and stash it in the daytime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That is what I would do. A 2" memory foam is very comfortable and as the above poster said, it can be rolled, or folded and stored fairly easily.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on visiting all those places in two weeks, sleeping will not be a problem since someone will be driving and in the tow vehicle pretty much 24/7.
Regardless, the best answer is either cabin rental or hotel room for them each night.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a memory foam pad instead of an air mattress. You could roll it up and stash it in the daytime.

Also... is the couch long enough for your sister & BIL to sleep on? Likely not, if they are above average height.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Could your BIL and SIL rent a RV for the two week trip?

Would your boys consider sleeping in a tent at the campsite (if allowed)?

Is there somewhere you could store the air mattress during the day while inflated?

Are there rental cabins at the locations you will visit?