cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to say Hello

HighLonesome
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... its been a while since i have been here. I left because i had decided not to buy a van.

My mother was not well and I had to deal with that.
She passed last year and now that things are somewhat more settled.... i am starting to think about building the van again.

SInce i have been gone... I have changed my mind about the kind of van i want.
I am now looking at an extended body low roof ford van with a pop top from sportsmobile.

i like the idea of driving something with a lower roof instead of the medium or high roof i was thinking about before.

I am sure i will have LOADS of questions again. I'll have to look up my old posts to see what
i was asking before.

its been a rough couple of years.... but i think things are ok now.
I look forward to reading here again and getting information.

happy to be back.
10 REPLIES 10

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going to buy a commercially-made conversion, I think Sportsmobile would be at the top of my list. I like the idea of designing exactly what you want!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“with LOTS of solar on the roof.”

An energy survey may show that a converted van doesn’t need a big solar system and space for multiple batteries is usually hard to find.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HighLonesome
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Do you really want to crawl around inside you low top van? How many years can your back take that? Even the pop up rook has a very small area where you can actually stand up! Do your self a big favor, and look at a high roof model!

I have been in the pop top van. There is plenty of room to stand up and move around.
I'm not sure what you mean.

danamrak
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Do you really want to crawl around inside you low top van? How many years can your back take that? Even the pop up rook has a very small area where you can actually stand up! Do your self a big favor, and look at a high roof model!

The sportsmobile pop top is over 7 feet when the top is up. Husband is 6'4" and has plenty of head room. The top is the full length of the van.
Ford Sportsmobile 2006
Dick and Anne

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

HighLonesome
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
Sounds like a good plan, having something to do usually helps. Hope you are able to complete your project. Sounds like you have done some thinking about what you need and that is one of the most important things when it comes to what kind of RV to go with.

yes... I have done ALOT of thinking about it. lol
I actually started thinking about it around 2003... LONG before i was of retirement age.
I have to say that things have morphed considerably since then.

I started out thinking about an airstream TT and then from there
i started looking at the folding campers.

THEN.... i decided i didnt want to tow anything and started looking at class c vehicles.. from there i went on to the long wheelbase ford transit van with the high roof.... then to the medium roof to now.... the long wheelbase low roof with the pop up. LOL

I have been all over the place.... but this time it feels just right.
At least thats what i think right now.... and i have been researching ALL this for YEARS!
I hope i have it right.

I have an appointment at Sportsmobile in Austin when i get back into town next month.
I honestly think that the low roof van is where i want to be.... with LOTS of solar on the roof.

really cant wait to get started on this.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan, having something to do usually helps. Hope you are able to complete your project. Sounds like you have done some thinking about what you need and that is one of the most important things when it comes to what kind of RV to go with.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lower as in not being able to stand up straight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HighLonesome
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Its something we all have to deal with... losing parents. its been SO HARD... i am just beginning to
get somewhat back to normal. Getting a van built and out on the road will be good therapy.

at least i think so. lol

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see you back! My sympathies for your loss.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board