cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet gate for MH?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to make a barrier to keep my dog from the forward section of the MH while traveling. I would like a baby / pet gate that would fit between the 2 slides that come together. I tried a baby gate but it wasn't wide enough by just a couple inches. The gate adjusted to 42" wide and that is not wide enough.

The 2 surfaces also don't seem to be equal in length top to bottom by a small amount. I thought about making something but I really don't want to screw into the wood work unless I have to. I am thinking of using some curtain rods with some mesh material between the rods.

Do any of you have something that works good for this?
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
8 REPLIES 8

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I question is whether a pressure-fitted gate will fall as the RV moves/shakes/twists going down the road?

The cargo net seems like a great idea - I had thought about a truck "air gate" (nylon webbing) if you need something more solid....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about the cargo net. My SW told me to go to the second hand store where she trades in a lot of clothes the grand kids out grow. Sure enough they had just what I needed for $15 and turns out she had a $19 credit. The space between the 2 slides when they are retracted is 42.5" and the other gate I bought had a max distance of 42" so it did not work but the one from the second hand store is about 48" max and each of the the ends are adjustable which works great because it has about 1/4" of variance in the two opposing slides. I will take some pictures of it installed of course I won't know how good this works until we go somewhere and try it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe put hooks on each side and attach a cargo net? It definitely will roll up and store away in a very small space. You could use Command hooks to hold it up. Easy to attach and remove, keep it low to the ground so you can step over it. Cargo carriers come in all sizes and shapes. And even if you get one that's too long, you can catch the hook anywhere on them for a shorter length.

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one that expands out to 72" wide, gut it is hardware mounted. Not sure if that would work for you or not.Clidk here.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

dturm
We tried the gate and found it difficult to use, get around and store. We have a little end table that we like to have with us and use near our couch or chair. It's similar to this one.

When travelling we put it on it's side between the front seats and it acts as a barrier to keep Kaiya from coming too far forward. She is pretty compliant. Her anxiety stems from me hitting rumble strips or rough roads (just about every road we travel on ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 dogs one is very big Hank he is a Sheepadoodle 1/2 Old english sheep dog and 1/2 standard poodle. He used to travel very good but lately he seems to have anxiety issues when we travel. Our other dog is a toy poodle and he is fine. Hank started having issues before the MH when we traveled in the truck. He paces and is not settled constantly moving about. My wife doesn't always sit in the front seat of the MH when we travel so Hank wonders up and sits or stands in the front passenger seat which is not safe and my wife gets tired of restraining him from going up front.

Hank is my dog and he wants to be by me I work from home and he goes pretty much everywhere with me at least when it is not too hot to leave him in the truck.

I am going to try giving him something to calm him when we travel. I would like to build some sort of barricade to keep him from the front it seems a pet gate would be a simple solution if I can find one that fits.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our two very large dogs travelled with us for many years. They were both used to having a crate, (we used soft crates), and travelling in them. We just put the two soft crates on the bed in the back, left the doors open, and they would just jump in and lay down when we were in motion. They both could sna would occasionally, jump down and come visit for a few minutes, then back to their bed in the crate. Overall, when travelling, they both were much more comfortable and comfident in their crates. At times, both tried riding either on the floor, or curled up on the couch. but were uncomfortable with the motion and trying to keep from rolling round with the coach motion.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one that adjusts up to 50". Might work for you...

Pet Gate....LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro