cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Readybrute elite

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
Most who tow a car seem to prefer to tow with all four wheels down. Based on advice we received we bought a Readybrute elite tow bar and outfitted our CRV so it could be towed. This tow bar is not an easy thing to set up as it's very heavy and awkward. I wonder if this is common with all tow bars, or if other brands are easier to hook up to a car. I've thought about buying a different brand or perhaps going to a tow dolly, but I don't want to put more money into something that isn't an improvement over what we have now.
18 REPLIES 18

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Demco light and simple.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Demco towbar and the arms have enough intentional friction that they don't drop to the ground. I've only removed it from the motor home when I wanted to take the bumper off to re-caulk some trim behind it.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our ReadyBrute Elite stays on the motorhome almost constantly, removed only occasionally when it's in the way of working on something else. When hooking up the toad, I support one arm on my right forearm while inserting the pin for the other arm that's held by my left hand. I did watch a neighbor hook his toad up using a homemade PVC pipe support to hold the arms in position while he inserted the pins. It took an extra couple of minutes that way, but then he only had one arm himself...

I rest one side on the baseplate safety chain attachment tab (Blue Ox) then insert the pin in other side.

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re about 10 days and 1500 miles into our first trip towing with a RBE. Ours is behind a truck and camper. The center mount stairs cannot be folded down with the tow bar on so ours comes off whenever weโ€™re using the Jeep and is just stored in the back. Not a big deal but it does take longer. I plan to do some suspension mods that will let me get rid of the hitch riser then I can fold the tow bar to the side and the stairs will clear.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our ReadyBrute Elite stays on the motorhome almost constantly, removed only occasionally when it's in the way of working on something else. When hooking up the toad, I support one arm on my right forearm while inserting the pin for the other arm that's held by my left hand. I did watch a neighbor hook his toad up using a homemade PVC pipe support to hold the arms in position while he inserted the pins. It took an extra couple of minutes that way, but then he only had one arm himself...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same set-up, RB Elite and a CRV. If hooking up solo, I prop one arm on top of the tool tote we use to carry cables, cords and misc hardware. See: Tote bag

The added height on the opposite side makes that part of the job pretty easy.

If we're talking about installing the towbar in the receiver. I have a routine for that, too. It's stored a ways from the MH so I put it on another HF product - Hand cart
It sits with the front bar pointing forward and the bar latch engaged so it rocks on the platform. When I get to the MH, I rock it back so the T bar just enters the receiver. It's then easy to lift the two arms and slide it the rest of the way in.

The biggest hassle for me is getting the locking hitch pin in because of the bodywork near the hitch receiver.
F1BNorm

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. The clevis screw unscrewed and fell out once. The tow bar was connected to the toad so no big deal but I wired it after that.

i would be replacing he clevis and pin with one that takes a keeper pin.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for reminding me. The clevis screw unscrewed and fell out once. The tow bar was connected to the toad so no big deal but I wired it after that.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The Ready Brute Elite is listed at 44 pounds. I pull ours off after most trips as I'll overnight it on the street to clean and unload. It isn't so much the weight but it is awkward to carry.

As far as the clevis being too weak to stow the bar it works fine. I put a short bungee on it to make sure it doesn't pop off when traveling.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a ready brute elite and have never taken it off the MH in two years. We use a locking hitch pin and just make sure nothing will dangle down on the road and and take it all over the place either with or without the toad attached.

I really don't think you'll have an issue just leaving it on there and it will save a lot of hassle.

As to the weight, a ready brute elite is mostly aluminum so I doubt you'd find one any lighter.

P.S...I'd also NOT recommend switching to a dolly if you are looking for easier...as it wont' be ๐Ÿ™‚

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm doubtful that anything bends but no visual. And if a clevis pin or something does bend then I wouldn't tow with it, period.

Possible suggestion but trying to stay out of counseling. Take it to a Ready Brute dealer and have it evaluated. And remind hubby that "if the wife is not happy no one is".

You guys are in a minority of one that remove the tow bar from the MH. That type of design which retains the weight on the MH vs the toad is one of the better design points.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the problem is we remove the tow bar from the receiver hitch after every trip so it's a real pain to get it set up again. My husband removes the tow bar because he thinks the clevis (I think that's what it's called) bends from the weight of the tow bar when it's put in the stow position. He doesn't like to "mess with it" so I find myself driving the CRV behind the motorhome on short trips. I'm tired of driving the car and would like to ride inside our motorhome (as a passenger). As you can tell this may be a couples disagreement issue, but there isn't a forum topic for this one. LOL

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
However once mounted I have no reason to remove my tow bar or related toad equipment.
Occasionally when travel season is over I'm remove the toad cross bar and brackets. The biggest aspect of the removal is to use a wrench to remove the 2 shackles that attach the safety cables to the toad.

The tow bar can bind making disconnecting harder. The Roadmaster All Terrain makes binding less likely but does not eliminate it all together.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Roadmaster Falcon2 is fairly easy to hook to my Jeep and before that a Chevy Sonic. The arms have to be be fairly heavy to take the stress. Canโ€™t see how a Readybrute would be much lighter. But picking it up to insert into the receiver hitch on the mh is a chore, so it never comes off.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT