cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep toad rides to rough.

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Our toad is a 06 Jeep LJ Wrangler Unlimited. It a great vehicle for towing but when driving it the ride is to rough. It's not lifted, has all stock suspension and tires. We don't go off road with it, it's more a daily driver type.

It rides like a Jeep ( ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but if anything can be done for improving the ride I'd like to try.

Anyone have any success at this?
2012 Discovery 40X 380hp ISC.
Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK
71 REPLIES 71

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dubdub07 wrote:

The rough ride is not subjective but the perception's of the drivers are subjective. There are certainly mall go-getters in the Wrangler family, but the more capable the Jeep is the rougher the ride will be....I am a 70% off road, 30% grocery getter, and I am here to say that I think that mine, albeit well tuned, still rides rough.

You can convince yourself that it isn't a huge deal but I know if I am driving a few hours somewhere, I am probably not going to take my JKUR.

WW

Subjective or perception (whatever you'd like to call it). I don't think our 2014 Sahara JKU rides rough at all. Both my wife and I think it's a comfortable ride. I have taken several 500+ mile trips in the Jeep and think it's a comfortable ride. Some people must be really picky about how vehicles ride. I have a bad back and driving and riding in the JKU has never bothered me. I probably wouldn't want to drive my 2015 JK that far but I routinely drive it 50 miles one way to Tampa 3 times a month and I don't mind the ride. I have never ridden in a Rubicon so maybe they don't ride as well due the the suspension. I'm not saying the JKU rides like a Cadillac but the JKU is not a bad ride in my opinion. I have been in many small cars that have a much harsher ride than our JKU.

For people thinking about getting a Wrangler, just test drive one and make up your own mind. But I wouldn't discount them just because someone says that don't ride well.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

fishorgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I read all the post, Looking for advice and trying to learn more about the Jeep line up. DW's xk8 Jag has been a great car for 18 years, but not a good tow car and can't fit the grandkid. I thought she'd look good in a jeep silver black top kinda thing. She walked right up to the JGC trailhawk I test drove it but, looks like a lot of things can go wrong with all the fancy options, and at 52K, a bit of sticker shock too. Trying to point her to the Wranglers, signed by help want to return to Quartzsite Az.
2008 Chev LTZ DRW Chev Duramax/Allison
2010 Artic Fox 1150
2005 Northwest Jet Boat
best for last
1960 DW
1960 DW

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
I can assure you that if it rides rough then everything is right in the world. If there is a Wrangler out there that doesn't have a rough ride then something is terribly wrong.....

I guess "rides rough" is subjective as I don't think my wife's 2014 JKU rides rough. It's no Cadillac but it's not rough. Now, my 2015 JK is rough if you aren't on a smooth road but it's got an awfully short wheelbase. We take my wife's JKU on road trips all the time and it is a comfortable ride. But I'm not used to riding in luxury cars as I don't like riding on the ground.

The rough ride is not subjective but the perception's of the drivers are subjective. There are certainly mall go-getters in the Wrangler family, but the more capable the Jeep is the rougher the ride will be....I am a 70% off road, 30% grocery getter, and I am here to say that I think that mine, albeit well tuned, still rides rough.

You can convince yourself that it isn't a huge deal but I know if I am driving a few hours somewhere, I am probably not going to take my JKUR.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I test drove a JLU and WOW it did ride like a real car. I just found the 2014 JK was more in my price range.

Post a picture when you get it all decked out. It's fun to accessorize them.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
My 19 JLR rides awesome. New bumper with tow brackets and winch are already installed.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK How you compare our 14 JGC Overland to some of the other jeep rides? Not that we are in the market for another jeep but may replace the CRV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
MetalGator wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
I can assure you that if it rides rough then everything is right in the world. If there is a Wrangler out there that doesn't have a rough ride then something is terribly wrong.....

I guess "rides rough" is subjective as I don't think my wife's 2014 JKU rides rough. It's no Cadillac but it's not rough. Now, my 2015 JK is rough if you aren't on a smooth road but it's got an awfully short wheelbase. We take my wife's JKU on road trips all the time and it is a comfortable ride. But I'm not used to riding in luxury cars as I don't like riding on the ground.

You are absolutely correct, the ride IS subjective. Not ALL Jeep Wranglers ride rough. There's only a few zillion variables that dictate just how they ride. Of course they're different than many autos/trucks/SUVs/ and other makes and models, IT'S A JEEP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! But, in the light of the fact that Jeep has done quite a bit in refinements in the last few years, and, after owning 9 different Jeep Wranglers over the last 35 years, I'd say the newer ones, as in JKs and JLs, ride CONSIDERABLY better than the CJs, YJs, and TJs.

Besides, if one were to do just a tad bit of research, you'd find there are tags with numbers on each set of front and rear springs for the JKs and JLs. Those numbers represent different springs for different applications. As in Sport, X, Sahara, Rubicon, Recon, Hard Rock and all that. Each of those will have different spring rates and will have different spring numbers.

When one purchases a Jeep Wrangler, one basically expects for it to ride somewhat different than the Cadillac they drove to the Jeep dealership. It's a given. But, if one were to test drive say, a Rubicon or a Hard Rock edition, then jump right into a Sahara, I guarantee you'll feel a difference in the ride. Not to mention, there's considerable differences in the tires that are supplied with the various models.
Scott

Yeah....and how soft does one have to have in a ride....geeeeezzzzzhhhh!
On the brighter side of things, when used as a mall crawler, the nimbleness of the vehicle, makes it a fun driver, besides paying off in the brush.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:

You are absolutely correct, the ride IS subjective. Not ALL Jeep Wranglers ride rough. There's only a few zillion variables that dictate just how they ride. Of course they're different than many autos/trucks/SUVs/ and other makes and models, IT'S A JEEP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! But, in the light of the fact that Jeep has done quite a bit in refinements in the last few years, and, after owning 9 different Jeep Wranglers over the last 35 years, I'd say the newer ones, as in JKs and JLs, ride CONSIDERABLY better than the CJs, YJs, and TJs.

Besides, if one were to do just a tad bit of research, you'd find there are tags with numbers on each set of front and rear springs for the JKs and JLs. Those numbers represent different springs for different applications. As in Sport, X, Sahara, Rubicon, Recon, Hard Rock and all that. Each of those will have different spring rates and will have different spring numbers.

When one purchases a Jeep Wrangler, one basically expects for it to ride somewhat different than the Cadillac they drove to the Jeep dealership. It's a given. But, if one were to test drive say, a Rubicon or a Hard Rock edition, then jump right into a Sahara, I guarantee you'll feel a difference in the ride. Not to mention, there's considerable differences in the tires that are supplied with the various models.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Trigger Happy wrote:
Fixed the problem. Jeep rides much better now. All it took was buying a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. :B

It really is much better in many respects. Thanks to those who suggested that upgrade.

Now the towing set up begins.
Congratulations! Like I said, The JKU is not perfect, but a better ride than the TJ. Just got through putting a new Bestop Twill Sunrider on mine along with some new winch parts! Too cool! You can't have that kind of fun with a Grand Cherokee or a CRV ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dubdub07 wrote:

2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer

The new JL offering is quieter and the 8 speed is a nice addition, but the Rubi I drove still had that Jeep rough ride....as far as a non-Wrangler Jeep as a toad....if you make a gain in one area you are sacrificing in another....the rough ride is the ride of competence. If you do not off-road a lot, maybe a CR-V is in your future.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Trigger Happy wrote:
Fixed the problem. Jeep rides much better now. All it took was buying a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. :B

It really is much better in many respects. Thanks to those who suggested that upgrade.

After some research, I went with a NSA, READYBRUTE/ELITE package and DEMCO base plates. Couldn't be more satisfied after being all over and up and down both the Rockies and Appalachia.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mc.cc wrote:
Traded mine for a 2018 GMC Canyon. Night and Day difference. Much more comfortable and quiet ride.

Depending on what you had, an 18 JL Wrangler is a world of difference, too. However, no off road vehicle of which there are few, is to be compared to an over the road vehicle.