cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking with other people around

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All - I'll be retiring in January and will be doing some boondocking. Plan on spending at least a month at Quartzsite, then maybe move to another location in the southwest for another couple of weeks to a month. My question is where, besides Quartzsite, can we boondock for free, yet still have SOME people around? My wife is all about the boondocking, just not complete desolation. We are not going to have a ton of money for our travel, so the idea is to spend the money getting there, not on campgrounds. I appreciate any feedback.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
32 REPLIES 32

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We do mainly boon docking in the southwest and wherever else we can...always our first choice...don't need to be around a ton of people. We have a set of benchmark atlas/maps and use them to determine BLM or forrest service lands and google maps to see where people have camped and do that. Sometimes it doesn't work out but life is an adventure. I don't like to spend a long time in each spot (must be some gypsy in me somewhere) so a week is a long time for us.

Enjoy!

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
To the O.P.: If you are going to get off pavement in the southwest it would be a good idea to have 4WD. I could not find that in your original post. Why? Sand. Lots of sand of different consistencies; packed to blow. More and more people are living the winter in the Southwest, steering south away from the cold, so you will have a lot of campers in view with help no matter where you get stuck. I don't know how hard core you are, but having a Safety Seal tire repair kit and a high bucks 12v air compressor and the ability to air down the entire rig will get you through a lot of the soft stuff and will give you the ability to repair a puncture, usually without removing the wheel from the truck or 5th.; unless it's a massive, tire shredding blow out then things get dicey.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Search boondocking on YouTube lots of videos people have made boondocking all over the southwest. Gives you a look at what to expect at different locations.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:

Just after we set up, this guy comes and setup less than 10 yards away...... I went up to him and said "really......" I asked him to move - which he did. He went to the other end of the field.

Sounds like my dog in bed except he won't move to the other side of the bed when I ask him.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

keyman44
Explorer
Explorer
Gary,
We boondock all over the SW. You are going to love it. Starting out in Quartzsite is a great idea. While there you will probably talk to lots of people and get lots of ideas. A couple of easy, nearby spots that will have other boondockers are the Senator Wash Area N32.88270ยฐ, W114.48642ยฐ, and Ogiby Rd area N32.834ยฐ, W114.838ยฐ. Your first year you may want to use the BLM LTVA long term visitor areas. Buy the permit and stay at any of them as long as you want.
https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-colorado-river-do-california-california-desert-do/public-room-frequently-0
https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-colorado-river-do-california-california-desert-do/public-room-frequently-requested
https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-colorado-river-do-california/public-room-frequently-requested/brochure/long-term

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
If anyone chooses to visit Anza Borrego state park make sure to visit the giant sculptures. They are amazing. Very close in the town of Borrego Springs.

See here.
https://www.theoutbound.com/san-diego/photography/visit-the-anza-borrego-metal-sculptures
Wow! Those sculptures look pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing the info.
Gary in Michigan

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
As mention in above posts they've provided you with quite a few other nice places you can boondock.

I''l just add that you might want to do some research on Quartzsite BEFORE you head out there.

It is not for everyone. From the wind and dust to 'when' you go. If it's during the RV shows, IMHO not so much fun. Unless you like walking up and down crowed aisles of people pitching their wares all day long and crammed parking.

When I went full time that WAS going to be my first destination also. Until I started asking around what it was like. :C
We won't arrive until about the 2nd week in February, so hopefully the dust and crowding will be at a minimum. We picked Quartzsite as our first destination just because it's well known and will have some people around. As I said in an earlier post, my wife doesn't like the idea of complete desolation, but we don't want to spend a month jammed in with ton's of people either.
Gary in Michigan

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Check out Free Camping
and Campendium
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
As mention in above posts they've provided you with quite a few other nice places you can boondock.

I''l just add that you might want to do some research on Quartzsite BEFORE you head out there.

It is not for everyone. From the wind and dust to 'when' you go. If it's during the RV shows, IMHO not so much fun. Unless you like walking up and down crowed aisles of people pitching their wares all day long and crammed parking.

When I went full time that WAS going to be my first destination also. Until I started asking around what it was like. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
More info here.

https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/ricardo-breceda-sculptures
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone chooses to visit Anza Borrego state park make sure to visit the giant sculptures. They are amazing. Very close in the town of Borrego Springs.

See here.
https://www.theoutbound.com/san-diego/photography/visit-the-anza-borrego-metal-sculptures
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
GaryS1953 wrote:
S-n-L wrote:
You might look into Anza Borago State park in California. Although we have never boondocks here we visit often and see lots of folks Boondocking in spread out clusters.

This a wonderful and interesting area. California's largest state park.
Sounds interesting, thanks!

A-B is the second site to be named a Night Sky Community, therefore, get a star map app loaded on your phone or tablet. Here is a link to camping and some other good info on A-B.

The BLM site is also good for a much larger area.

Do a Google search for Concretions, then while there look for them. As it is now a CA St. Pk. collecting may not and certainly shouldn't be allowed. But they can be fantastic pieces of natural art.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so if I see YOU out there I'll be SURE to keep my distance Thanks!

Thank you..........
Gerry

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Kofa NWR has boondocking sites near Quartzsite and south of there near Yuma also. Check out BLM land, Forest Services, and National Wildlife Refuges. All you need to do for BLM land is find their office and go in and ask for recommended places. Forest Service has places listed on their website and while not all Wildlife Refuges have camping, those that do will list it on their web page. freecampsites.net is also a great place to find sites.
If you can get to Quartzite by 9 January come join us at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. They have classes in finding sites, solar, cheap RVing and lots of friends and its all free. You guys will also meet lots of like minded folks who can give you hints where to go next.