Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Are Newmar coaches constructed better than others?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Are Newmar coaches constructed better than others?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

I have been in the RV business for 45 years. 39 of those years as and still a RV Technician. When we took on the Newmar line in 1993, I made the observation that Newmar built and still builds the best MASS PRODUCED RV's of any RV company out there. Back in 1998 for the 1999 model year, Newmar introduced the FIRST and ONLY 3 year Warranty on RV's. They covered all parts in the coach(no chassis) for 3 years. They did that to force other companies to follow suit. None did. In about 2005/2006, they dropped the 3 year warranty because nobody else stepped up and it was causing money loss as a lot of Newmar owners abused the warranty. Still, they were confidant of their product for those 6/7 years and still are. We dropped the line in 2008 as the units had increased the price so much they could not compete with the other brands we sold. They were/are still a great product. If I had the money, I would buy either a Newmar or a Tiffin. Doug

If I won the power ball, my only choice would be a Prevost, black and stainless with a real marble bath.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huntdooly wrote:

Thanks, everyone! I called Newmar today, to ask what year they started constructing the walls as in the video and as I had described above, and he said 2005. Prior to that, their construction was the same as other companies. Only difference is that their cabinets are not particle board.

Whoever you spoke to was serverly misinformed, or maybe they ment to say 1985. As far as I know they've been built like that for as long as they've been building Class As. Our friends 98 Dutchstar is built that way, as was our '00 Dutchstar and both of our Kountry Stars.

Newmar builds them that was as does Travel Supreme/Entegra and the old Monaco/Hoilday Rambler group. I'm not sure if Monaco still does.

Take a walk around a campground sometime and look at the older units. They all look good when they're new, look at the ones that are 10, 15, 20 years old.

I was asked last month if we had bought a new MH, ours is 11 years old.

Other friends have a '02 Dutchstar that still looks new.

So yes, they are built different, and IMO it is better. What you saw in the video is true.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Newmar and we think it is built well and very well insulated. We were in an RV park for a few months while we were waiting for our house to be built. During that time, the area had a very freak snowstorm. The park had propane delivered once per week. We were told by the guy that delivered propane that we used less propane than anyone else in the entire park. Also, looking at our roof compared with others, you can see that there is not much heat going through the roof. We had all the snow sitting on the roof while many others had the snow melting off the roof where the heat was coming off.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/18 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Newmar is 19 years old. Have had no issues with anything that Newmar built. Have replaced ATS, converter, both A/Cs, shocks, sway bar bushings, and alternator. Not a single problem with any parts of the actual coach.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

two travelers

Smithtown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/18 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2014 Bay Star and it was the worst piece of junk ever!!!! In the year and a half we owned it, the coach was at the dealer 4 times and the factory once. Each time for a long list of items; most of it incredibly poor quality workmanship. There was not one trip we went on that I did not have to repair something many times, with the help of the dealer service. When the full wall slide mechanism broke that was the last straw. Traded in and moved on. While at the factory for 2 days of repairs we took the factory tour. We were amazed at how fast the workers were assembling the coaches almost like there was a race or the place was on fire. If we had done the tour first would not have purchased.

Nutinelse2do

On the Road Where the Weather Suits Our Clothes

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/18 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X 2 with Bruce...

Our Newmar is a 2006, and people can’t belive it. She looks better than most 2014 coaches around.

We have been in snow, and 100 plus degree heat numerous times, and yet to have been uncomfortable.

Parts are still available for almost anything you need on one.

We bought her as an interim, but have decided, until a 2014 Mountain Aire 4018 is in our budget, we’re never going to let her go. Yes, she has her quirks, but we will be happy with her little ones, comparatively speaking.

Yes, Newmar is different.

* This post was edited 10/24/18 11:40pm by Nutinelse2do *

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/18 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

two travelers wrote:

We were amazed at how fast the workers were assembling the coaches almost like there was a race or the place was on fire. If we had done the tour first would not have purchased.

What? They work at a snail's pace compared to other manufacturers. Are you sure you weren't on the Jayco tour? [emoticon] It's unfortunate that you had problems. That certainly isn't the norm. We never had any. Really.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tntman

Livingston, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What answers you get here are from people who justify their purchase. I am not knocking Newmar, just stating a fact. Prior to buying my Tiffin Phaeton, I toured many factories and was laughing at some of the things I saw and heard. I even went to Tiffin and rejected that model year because of the cheap rubber roof they were installing.
Remember what you read here is biased, you roll the dice when you make a purchase, ALL manufacturers build some bad stuff. The difference is I can call Tiffin and talk to Bob, call Newmar and ask to talk to the CEO. Bob stands behind his vehicles.
As far as the three year warranty, when Virgil passed away, Newmar hired a Fleetwood exec to run Newmar, he stated in RV Business that due to the bottom line (money) they are going back to a one year warranty. If they are built so good, why stop the three year warranty?

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ You are correct. We needed to justify ourselves so much we bought 3 of them just to prove a point. [emoticon] [emoticon]

And as noted before, these are from a 1995 brochure and a 2018 brochure - still making them basically the same way.

1995;

[image]

2018;

[image]

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TnTMan: I don't believe Fleetwood was associated with Newmar. You may be thinking of Travel Supreme and Newmar's closeness. In 1989 Glen Troyer from Newmar started Travel Supreme (another high quality manufacturer but much smaller). During the economic crisis of 2008 Travel Supreme closed it's doors and many employees went over to Newmar who was able to stay in business during this period.

We had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel and got a Newmar motorhome. Excellent experience with both. They aren't mass-produced. We added/changed over 100 special items when we ordered.

Newmar has a 5-year structural warranty (sidewalls, roof, frame). Because of the way the sidewalls are built you won't get any delamination issues. They were the pioneers with slideouts - the first to have them with their own engineered mechanism.

Newmar has been in business for 50+ years. Here's an article on their history.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/why-newmar/company-history/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Are Newmar coaches constructed better than others?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS