Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airing Down Class A for Sand

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Heading out to Glamis for the first time in 10 years and for Halloween weekend... and first time in a class A (formally a 4x4 with Toybox).

I've never stayed in the washes before, always stayed off Gecko road out in the dunes.. again.. with 4x4.

So I am headed to the washes. I'll be solo the first day with the wife joining me the next day in our 4x4. I'll be in a 32' Gas Class A pulling a 16' trailer with a RZR on it. Worried about getting stuck, I know when I used to camp in the dunes I would air everything, trailer included, down to like 10PSI and would be fine. I am planning on camping down the washes. Again no idea what to expect as I've never been there before and I will be arriving the Thursday before a huge weekend.

So I guess my question is this.. should I air down my rig? I've never aired down a dully before. Do I air down all the tires? Outside tires? Dont bother?

Thanks for the info. Just trying to avoid having to barter away beer for a tow.

Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
jeremywatco wrote:
But in years past I pulled MANY DP's out that were buried up to their frames with my 4x4 Duramax.

So if you pulled many DP's out you know what can happen. You're not immune.

Here's a YouTube on Glamis parking. If this is the type of place you'd park then you'd be just fine. It looks like Quartzsite. Been there often with our 40' DP MH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMlbX-ZzxY
Yup, that is indeed the "washes" at Glamis. Plenty of big rigs, both toyhaulers and motorhomes in that video. Didn't see a single one that was stuck in the video (not saying it doesn't or can't happen, just that it's not the norm).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't attempt it. Stay on firm soil.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jeremywatco wrote:
But in years past I pulled MANY DP's out that were buried up to their frames with my 4x4 Duramax.

So if you pulled many DP's out you know what can happen. You're not immune.

Here's a YouTube on Glamis parking. If this is the type of place you'd park then you'd be just fine. It looks like Quartzsite. Been there often with our 40' DP MH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMlbX-ZzxY
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
To those who have no idea what the "washes" at Glamis are: No, you don't camp in the washes. Rather, the washes are kinda like "entrances" to large flat camping areas. Flash floods aren't applicable. Second, while driving a class A in "sand" is never recommended, thousands of people camp in the "washes" with every type of rig imaginable just fine every year; the "washes" area is not all sand. A few get stuck; most do not. The ones that do are typically not real aware of how to drive on anything other than pavement or are complete idiots. They are, however, valuable for entertainment purposes!

For the OP; I wouldn't air down, but I would walk your route (or unload your RZR and scout your camp site) first. Most of the areas are fairly hard packed; watch for and use areas that have well worn paths. Then, once off the main road along the tracks keep moving steadily without hard turns or hard braking. Keep up your momentum, don't try to get close to the dunes, and you should be fine.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
This. is what a flash flood looks like....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dedmiston
I doubt you're going to get any real experienced info here. I would post someplace where the members have actually spent time in Glamis.

The Toy Hauler forum here used to have a lot of Glamis riders, but not so much anymore.

I would try one of the groups on Facebook or post at https://www.glamisdunes.com where the Glamis experts are.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
In my younger years I practically lived out there. I wouldn't take it into sand, especially when towing. They don't call them a wash for nothing. God forbid you get a flash flood. If you get stuck bad enough nobody in a 4x4 with winch will get you out. Their wheels will spin/drag cause they will be much lighter than you. If you need a huge wrecker to pull you out your looking at probably $1000 to $2000 dollars.

I hear you. But in years past I pulled MANY DP's out that were buried up to their frames with my 4x4 Duramax.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The biggest problem with airing down is that it lowers your chassis clearance. Once you chassis touches the sand/ground it is all over. You will no longer have enough weight on your tires to provide any traction.

X2! How did the "wash" form. My 50 plus years of desert ratting has seen a few flash floods. It's true that Halloween is not flash flood season in California deserts, but hey, anything is possible. Now combine being stuck up to the axles in sand and 20 seconds advance notice of an eminent flash flood. At least it's all over real quick.

Chum lee

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In my younger years I practically lived out there. I wouldn't take it into sand, especially when towing. They don't call them a wash for nothing. God forbid you get a flash flood. If you get stuck bad enough nobody in a 4x4 with winch will get you out. Their wheels will spin/drag cause they will be much lighter than you. If you need a huge wrecker to pull you out your looking at probably $1000 to $2000 dollars.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest problem with airing down is that it lowers your chassis clearance. Once you chassis touches the sand/ground it is all over. You will no longer have enough weight on your tires to provide any traction.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have more concern about parking in a wash. This is a no-no in the desert. Isn't there higher ground and more stable surface to park?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been to Glamis once, stayed at the washes, was in a 4X4 pulling a trailer.

I have a set up very similar to you now, I WOULD NOT TAKE IT TO THE WASHES, you will get stuck. I have been stuck at Ocotillo and it took be 6 hours to get out. Airing down these types of tires doesn't help much. Go to Gecko.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 28 foot class C. We air it down to about 18 psi and drive it on the beach on Cape Cod multiple times every summer. Beats the **** out of your tires. Drive in 1st or 2nd gear. I wouldn't want to tow a trailer over sand. Good luck!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Recommendation is do not air down for sand.. DO NOT DRIVE ON SAND

Sand comes in two flavors

A nice hard packed where you might as well be driving on concrete and the kind you get stuck in. Airing down won't help you with the latter you WILL get stuck.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times