cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

short bed vrs. long bed

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
With all new trucks now crew cab, how much more difficult would it be with a short bed truck
37 REPLIES 37

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Where's the reloading station in that collection?

Maybe the camper kitchen has been converted...? Although I doubt the kitchen counter is strong enough to support a press...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going where he's going. Love turning money into noise ๐Ÿ™‚

Where's the reloading station in that collection?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Where in the world do YOU go camping? Must be nice living in the desert with all those toys!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

My Home depot is like a two mile drive, lumber store even closer, I am sure I'll get by with the tailgate down on my short bed for those 8' sheets, better yet I will hook up my utility trailer easier to load ,and unload .

90 degrees, no not going to, even if I could, no worries on the 90 degrees. This long bed , short bed debate comes down to preference ,and needs. 8' sheets, 90 degrees ,parking in a garage , parking in a parking lot, blah blah blah etc etc etc. Who cares what someone else wants or needs . :S

I personally don't like living in concrete jungles and I haven't lived on a paved road in 35-40 years. Lowes & Home Depot are 75 miles one way and IF I need more that will fit in the bed & can hook the 16ft flat bed.

I park my CCLB any where I want without issue, park in the garage? I have a 40X50 shop so you may have me on that one. Country folks normally have shops big enough to hold the stuff we drive, city folk have small storage areas. 90 degrees? If all you do is drive troughs your good to go.

Who cares about what some one wants? The party that started the thread asking about short beds.

transamz9 wrote:
Maybe you need to get a more reliable set of wheels so you dont have to pack so many tools.

Some of us are more than weekend warriors & two weeks a year. This has been a little longer than normal, 8 months, normal's 3-4. You better be able to fix anything away from home or have a large checking account. Camping World $130 an hr., auto shops?? 80 something? Generator wouldn't start last week, tools to disassemble & can of carb cleaner, hour or so later and fixed.

I carry more than enough tools with me. I have never had to pay anyone to repair anything. Vehicles, campers,boats or house.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

My Home depot is like a two mile drive, lumber store even closer, I am sure I'll get by with the tailgate down on my short bed for those 8' sheets, better yet I will hook up my utility trailer easier to load ,and unload .

90 degrees, no not going to, even if I could, no worries on the 90 degrees. This long bed , short bed debate comes down to preference ,and needs. 8' sheets, 90 degrees ,parking in a garage , parking in a parking lot, blah blah blah etc etc etc. Who cares what someone else wants or needs . :S

I personally don't like living in concrete jungles and I haven't lived on a paved road in 35-40 years. Lowes & Home Depot are 75 miles one way and IF I need more that will fit in the bed & can hook the 16ft flat bed.

I park my CCLB any where I want without issue, park in the garage? I have a 40X50 shop so you may have me on that one. Country folks normally have shops big enough to hold the stuff we drive, city folk have small storage areas. 90 degrees? If all you do is drive troughs your good to go.

Who cares about what some one wants? The party that started the thread asking about short beds.

transamz9 wrote:
Maybe you need to get a more reliable set of wheels so you dont have to pack so many tools.

Some of us are more than weekend warriors & two weeks a year. This has been a little longer than normal, 8 months, normal's 3-4. You better be able to fix anything away from home or have a large checking account. Camping World $130 an hr., auto shops?? 80 something? Generator wouldn't start last week, tools to disassemble & can of carb cleaner, hour or so later and fixed.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
old guy wrote:
only disadvantage of having a long bed is you can't park close to wal mart. but in that case the long walk will do you good

What dues that have to do with it! Stall is a stall. Now if yer talking Dually.

CC LB dually.
Yes itโ€™s huge.
Itโ€™s not for the feeble.
Once you learn to really drive it, itโ€™s like any other vehicle.
Plus, how am I supposed to fit all this **** in a short bed :B

Your images didn't work but I bet I could get it in my short bed. Also, my daily driver is a regular cab dually with a 13' long bed and have no problems getting around in it but it is far from just like any other vehicle. It has a wide track front end so it turns far sharper than a regular cc dually. It even turns better than my sb mega cab. Still rather use my quad cab sh truck. The DW and I were throwing around the idea of selling our 16' mega cab and start using our old quad cab ram again as our tow vehicle.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^^ Here here!
Hard to fix sh_t whan you aint got nutin to fix it with!
Learnt that lesson handily when packing up to leave the parents house fer good back in the day.
I started loading my roll away box and top box forward in the trailer that would be packed to the gills with everything me and my soon to bee wife owned.
To my credit because I thought I was balancing tongue weight with other heavy stuff.
My dad said "Son, don't you think it would make more sense to put the tools right in back where you can get to them easy if something happens (1300 mile move ahead of us)? By gawddang he was right. Didn't get out of Chicago before the trailer broke a u bolt and within 100 yds of fixing it, my girl's Blazer smoked the alternator!
Sooo much easier when I didn't have to unload half the trailer to get a socket set!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
old guy wrote:
only disadvantage of having a long bed is you can't park close to wal mart. but in that case the long walk will do you good

What dues that have to do with it! Stall is a stall. Now if yer talking Dually.

CC LB dually.
Yes itโ€™s huge.
Itโ€™s not for the feeble.
Once you learn to really drive it, itโ€™s like any other vehicle.
Plus, how am I supposed to fit all this **** in a short bed :B

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

Yea itโ€™s been a POS!!! I haul many types of tools. Could be why my RV weighs 5k more than the factory weight. :B

That and rocks. Lol

I have a 3 drawer with top tool box in the 5er basement with 4 gallon air compressor along with a good assortment of 12v and 120v electrical supplies. Also carry a pretty good supply of plumbing repair. I carry a 40 AUX tank in the bed of my truck but the rest of my necessities are behind the back seat of the megacab.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

Yea itโ€™s been a POS!!! I haul many types of tools. Could be why my RV weighs 5k more than the factory weight. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would not be without my HighwayProducts 30" front to back bed height tool box.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Todays 5th wheel trailer with the notched rounded front corners are pulled with short bed trucks and a std 5th wheel hitch brand or type of your choice. So unless you just want a long bed it isn't necessary to have one.

Having made a living pulling heavy GN trailers with both their wasn't a best for my use.

I don't think many realize how tight you can turn or back up with these rounded corner fifth wheels, and short bed trucks .I have never had an issue with both my short bed trucks towing a fifth wheel.

With this new Andersen hitch its even better, I can back tighter then I want too. Just don't care to put that much stress on those fifth wheel axles ,and tires. I can if I have too.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
All new trucks are NOT crew cabs. Gee, did you read your post before pushing the button?

LanceRKeys wrote:
What? Are all new trucks really a Crew cab? What are you asking?

blt2ski wrote:
All new trucks are crew cabs? No wonder I can't find a reg cab 8' box truck.

Pretty sure OP meant "all new trucks available in CC".

Also, it wasn't that long ago where long bed trucks had larger OEM fuel capacity. I believe that is mostly done away now and short bed trucks have similar fuel capacities to long bed trucks??? The larger fuel capacity was one of the main reasons I went with a 1-ton long bed in 2011.
I love me some land yachting