cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dull finish on motor home of friend

werni9
Explorer
Explorer
I want to help a friend with a white motor home. It has a flat look to the finish. I read that Krud Kutter was a good way to clean the corners and get that built up dirt and grime off. THEN, of all products I was told to try ZEP High Gloss Floor Polish :h
After a good wash, they said to apply about 5 coats. Wipe on with micro fiber towels, let dry for 30 minutes and apply next coat.
WOW.......
Any thoughts.
Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth - the Red Max/Zep products are a cheap version of the expensive Poliglow which has been used on fiberglass boats for a long time. Just like Poliglow it takes some prep work ... but it does work, it's proven (been popular in RV community for some time) and it does last. It doesn't cost much and easily removed it you don't like it.
Kevin

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put Red Max on my Winnebago 7 years ago and have done the front and back a couple of times since. The rest of it still shines like new after all this time even though it sits outside all the time. Best thing since canned beer if you hate work.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Made for fiber glass https://poliglow-int.com/

X2

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The Zep/RMP process did a great job on our 96 Southwind.
The prep work is the important part of the process. You can use the wax of your choice is you don't want to use floor wax.
I'll continue to use Zep.
I also apply it to the rubber seal around the windshield.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Made for fiber glass https://poliglow-int.com/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to polish it do your self a favor and go to Harbor freight and get a dual action polisher. Watch a few You Tube videos how to use it and you will get better results and make it an easier job. If it's really bad protect-alls oxidation remover works well. If not to bad Mcquires marine cleaner wax will do it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be very careful with all these new ideas for coating products to put on your RV to make them shiny.:R

Many require extensive prep work and then Some fade, Some yellow, flake off etc. and the one most popular one have problems just getting it off to apply again. And Yes you have to reapply "none" of them are permanent and removing them to reapply has some serious problems Just search rvnet or google the problems with these products BEFORE you apply them.

All you need is good old fashion polish car wax for the body period.

Here's a picture of one of my first MH's before and after waxing with Mequires Polish Car Wax. Takes the dull oxidation right off leaving a nice shine. Yup back then I used to wax my MH every month while on the road at CG's!

You can even get rid of the dull oxidation with a good RV wash like "Full Timers Choice" Pro RV Wash. Just wash and the oxidation is gone AND leaves a nice wax finish just from washing it. Mequires ultimate wash and wax leaves it with a nice shine also.
__

I've been RV'ing for years and these are the only products I will use on my RV. All my RV's have looked like brand new when I went to sell them using good ole fashion polish wax and RV wash. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have had excellent results using Zep/RedMax pro - but you need to do the proper prep work to make it work. Once it's on it's easy to maintain and last many years. Use the forum search feature .. s/b lots of threads on how to apply.
Kevin

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Zep Wet Look (Red Max Pro) is not a wax, it's an acrylic polymer. I use it on my aged Bounder. If applied correctly it lasts 3-4 years, then must be striped and reapplied. Less time consuming than waxing all the time. It also allows for easier bug removal and clean up. The UV radiation has destroyed the gel-coat years ago, so that's not an issue.
Bar Keepers Friend or TSP is a must for finial cleaning, before applying the coating. It's all in the preparation.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My old PaceArrow had Filon siding and you could see the fibers in it and was very dull. Nothing I tried helped. Put about 10 coats of red max pro on it and it looked great.
Mine was a cream exreriour not white.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I kind of wondering if the fact I have full body paint (More resistant to sunlight) and wax 2x a year makes any difference (most of the RV looks as good as the day I got it... Some nicks and scratches, but most of it is pristine.)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that unpainted fiberglass RVs are attacked by the sun just like the newer plastic lens headlight assemblies. Looking with a microscope, you will see the surface is no longer glass smooth. Power polishing the surface can bring the shine back just like polishing kits get those headlights looking good again but in both cases, the dullness returns quickly. Also difficult to power polish without inadvertently hitting any striping and damaging it. One of the components in fiberglass (and headlights) is UV protection and as the years pass, ultraviolet from the sun destroys it so that whatever you do, the shinyness cannot be kept very long. When an RV gets really dull, the only lasting fix is to just have it painted. The paint will stop further sun damage to the fiberglass in it's tracks and if normal automotive grade paint is used will last 10 years.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard about Zep also, but from experience with a kitchen floor, I know it yellows with age and heat. Our motorhome has a lot of white on it, so don't want it yellowing and have to try to strip all that wax. We need to do our front and rear caps, which are fiberglass and starting to oxidize. Planning on going to a boat place to buy something specifically made for fiberglass.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are the sides fiberglass?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad