cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Synthetics in a diesel pusher

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
Was just wondering, has anyone run Amsoil or similar products in a diesel? I use it in our sprinter and it seems to be ok, was wondering if there is any advantage to using it in our cat motor.
22 REPLIES 22

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
With all of the testing done by SAE and API to insure that oil meets these INDUSTRY WRITTEN standards I can't believe any oil manufacturer can actually PROVE their product is "vastly superior" to any other product that meets the same specs.

And I used to be a Mobil 1 ONLY guy for many years !

Where pure synthetics shine is in extreme cold temps, like -20F ! Amazing how fast a engine will crank with synthetic oil at that temp !

API Charges an oil company to be "certified". Amzoil for years was never API certified.

There was (is?) a snake oil salesman in OH that was selling his custom blended oil. A few of us figured out exactly what he was selling through individual conversations. He was buying penzoil full synthetic, adding a moly product, and selling it as a product that changed the molecular structure of the engine. He was good, really really good ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Such is life ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AMZ/OIL Severe Gear is one of the highest rated lubes out there.

Over 400k on my 86 C20 still in good shape. Dana 70 in my 98 2500 RAM looked perfect at 300k when I broke a pinion gear tooth doing a 30# boost launch in 4wd. I can go on and on with excellent results using AMS/OIL products.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Mex, Is this https://lelubricants.com/lubricants.html the link?

DANG! Thank You! YES. I think their grease and especially their gear oil to be near miraculously better than any other. CHEVRON RED GREASE also is the only competition to Almagard red grease.

Grease ONCE, immerse in salt water trailer use for ten years and then wonder why you were so stupid about good grease, is the only negative with both these greases. Wheel bearing re-packs last virtually forever. Do a teardown after six years of use, and feel self conscious about wasting time. My kind of product.

LE's AMASOL 607 gear lube dramatically lessens seal leakage. Weeping stops. The lube cannot churn into WATER POISONED chocolate milk. Impossible to touch bare gears and bearings.

And I have had 180 degree experience with AMZOIL. My opinion is it is over-hyped utter garbage. Amzoil without question destroyed gear sets and bearings in-my-face. It hurts me to even spell the name.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
I get a kick, and a good laugh, every time I read a post about synthetics and Dino oil. I never realized there were that many experts about motor oil. Most are personal opinions with no technical support. Even when a statement is supported by an oil engineer or in writing, itโ€™s still not good enough. Almost as entertaining as the posts that say my truck is better than your truck.

An oil change is the most common and simple maintenance item that can be done on an engine that usually requires at least one tool. With so much experience floating around out there, is it any wonder that everyone is an expert?

It's always amazing to me that simple instructions like, "follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual and use the recommended fluids" can be interpreted so many different ways.

How many different ways can you re-split a previously split hair?

Chum lee

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
I get a kick, and a good laugh, every time I read a post about synthetics and Dino oil. I never realized there were that many experts about motor oil.

With all of the testing done by SAE and API to insure that oil meets these INDUSTRY WRITTEN standards I can't believe any oil manufacturer can actually PROVE their product is "vastly superior" to any other product that meets the same specs.

And I used to be a Mobil 1 ONLY guy for many years !

Where pure synthetics shine is in extreme cold temps, like -20F ! Amazing how fast a engine will crank with synthetic oil at that temp !

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I get a kick, and a good laugh, every time I read a post about synthetics and Dino oil. I never realized there were that many experts about motor oil. Most are personal opinions with no technical support. Even when a statement is supported by an oil engineer or in writing, itโ€™s still not good enough. Almost as entertaining as the posts that say my truck is better than your truck.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Amsoil like Golden Spectro is overpriced oil and additives but if you want to blow your money on it, have at it.

You have a better report to show using any 15-40 in a Cummins 6.7 towing a combined 33-35k at a 15k change? If so please show it.

You can thank AMZ/OIL for synthetics in the auto industry.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Amsoil like Golden Spectro is overpriced oil and additives but if you want to blow your money on it, have at it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm betting your DP is pre emissions 07 or older. If so AMZ/OIL is one of the few that still offers NON LE 15-40. I have had excellent Blackstone reports running this in my Cummins engines and the LE 15-40 in the newer trucks.

Report from 45k change at 15K interval.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
I run synthetic (Mobil 1) in all my gasoline powered vehicles.

NOT in my diesel pushers. Either Shell Rotella T or Delo 400 in the recommended viscosity. Both are quality oils and available everywhere including Walmart.

Brett, as a respected Diesel RV authority, why do you not run Synthetic oil in your diesel coach?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Very general comments ...

Synthetics are great for cold weather starting.

Unlike a gasoline engine, a diesel has more "blow by" (small amounts of combustion gas that seep past the rings). In a diesel, the blow by tends to have more carbon. Regardless of the quality of your filter you can not get all of this carbon out of the oil once it is in there. Bottom line, don't expect to get extremely long oil life when using synthetics in a diesel engine.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mex, Is this https://lelubricants.com/lubricants.html the link?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I run synthetic (Mobil 1) in all my gasoline powered vehicles.

NOT in my diesel pushers. Either Shell Rotella T or Delo 400 in the recommended viscosity. Both are quality oils and available everywhere including Walmart.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/