cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Denver to TN- Eisenhower, Council Grove, & Tallgrass Prairie

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
After my solo trip to Denver (link to trip report) and attending the class I'd gone for, it was time to return home. My DH had flown out on the last day of the class then the following day we set out from Bear Creek Lake Park started our return trip to Tennessee.

We drove south on I-25 along the front range.

Then at Colorado Springs we turned west on State Route 94. Looking back, I could see how the plains run right up to the foot of the mountains.

But as the mountains grew smaller in the mirrors, it was time to look forward to the plains.

We passed through Punkin Center, a crossroad in the middle of nowhere, before picking up U.S. 40 at Aroya, CO.

It seems cows outnumber people in this area. In other words, a nice area to visit.

One hundred miles east of the mountains, we stopped at Kit Carson for lunch. This town, named after the famed scout, lies on the first rail line to Denver and features an original 1904 railroad depot, now a museum.

From our shady curbside parking site we could see a yard full of old equipment, old buildings, and a tower of industrial art across the street. After we ate, we took a closer look over the fence.

This place would be great for an overnight stop. Although we werenโ€™t in a hurry, it was still too early to make camp so on we went across the plain, passing through towns that make their presence known with their tall silos. And to fill those silos one needs big farm equipment.

Finally we passed out of Colorado and into Kansas. And rolling on we went.

I guess these knobs pass for mountains in this state. And the kids on that school bus have a long commute.

We continued on as the sun slid towards the horizon behind us, throwing a golden light across the plain and everything in it. Time to find a place to light for the night.

DAY 12
Weโ€™d found a city campground at Ellis, KS. It was a nice facility complete with level pull-thru sites, water, electric, restrooms, wifi, picnic tables, huge cottonwood trees, and even a pond. I donโ€™t remember the fee but it wasnโ€™t much and had to be paid at City Hall a couple blocks away.

Before leaving Ellis we stopped at a stone building on the other side of the pond from the campground. A sign indicated it was St Maryโ€™s Catholic Church built in 1909. I donโ€™t usually like mixing stone and brick but the way this one was done was beautiful.

Next stop, the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum at Abilene, KS. On a trip to Gettysburg a few years ago weโ€™d visited the home where Ike spent his final years. Here we could see the home where he grew to adulthood.

The grounds are spacious and open. We left the library to the right for another time but we did visit the museum at the left.

The museum held items from Ikeโ€™s lengthy military career.

Another part of the museum was devoted to life with his lovely wife, Mamie.

Finally, we took our leave of Eisenhower and headed on to find a campsite for the night.

We found a nice spot in a nearly empty Corps of Engineers campground overlooking Council Grove Lake. A nice place to kick back and relax.

To be continued โ€ฆ see Part 2 on Page 2!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads
22 REPLIES 22

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
exhaustipated - We took this trip a few years ago before we'd met you. We'd definitely let you know now if we were passing through your area nowadays ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I wished you would have told us that you were stopping at Council Grove Reservoir for the night. We camp there a lot and it looks like you stayed at Richey Cove campground. The wife and I could have met you there as it's only about an hours drive from Topeka. Well, there's always a next time I guess. The Hays House is a wonderful place to eat and we make sure that we eat there whenever we go to Richey Cove campground. There's a lot of things to see in Council Grove. We've also stayed at the Ellis Lake Campground before and you're right, it is a peaceful and quiet place to stay.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Edited the name to include Council Grove and changed Grasslands to Tallgrass Prairie to better reflect the areas covered.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Pete_k - Ah, but you're still a truck camper at heart or you wouldn't be checking in on the Truck Camper forum.

Clarryhill & Sango - You're welcome!

jmckelvy - And thank you for the encouragement :B
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report and great photos. I always enjoy reading your reports. Thanks for taking the time and effort to publish.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures to finish off our tour. Thanks for sharing as usual. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope to meet up with you soon.
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
And in turn...Thanks for bringing us along! Beautiful pics, just beautiful.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Continued from Page 1 ...

DAY 13
Our site on Council Grove Lake afforded us a great view of the rising sun. Waterfowl that had spent the night on the lake took wing with noisy calls to each other. As the sun rose it set ablaze the already brilliant color of the fall maple leaves.

We drove the short distance over to the city of Council Grove, KS. Iโ€™d read about this town in a book on the Santa Fe Trail and was eager to see it.

Iโ€™d also read about the Hays House Restaurant, the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi River, which sounded like a good place to eat breakfast. The building was nice outside and inside and the service and food very good. It was amazing to think we were dining in an establishment where more than 150 years ago travelers on the Santa Fe had eaten.

On the wall of the restaurant was a map of the Santa Fe Trail and what appeared to be an ox having his feet cared for by a drover. Judging by the stocks and slings holding the ox in place, this wasnโ€™t an easy job.

After eating, we walked down Main Street and admired the many historic buildings including the Farmers and Drovers Bank with its intricate architecture.

The Morris County State Bank, built in 1887, also has many old, ornate features.

The Aldrich Apothecary with its soda fountain was enticing but we were still full from breakfast.

A block off Main Street we saw the Cottage House Hotel & Motel which started in 1867 as a 3-room hotel and blacksmith shop, was enlarged in 1871 to serve as a boarding house, and then was enlarged again in 1879 to serve as a hotel. This would be a nice place to stay if we didnโ€™t have our camper with us.

Across the Neosho River was a bronze statue of a Kanza warrior. It was interesting to learn the stateโ€™s name came from the name of this tribe.

On our way out of town we stopped at the Kaw (AKA Kanza) Mission. This facility served as a home, church, and school for Kanza boys in the early 1950s. It was interesting to read that Kanza families used the stone cabins built for them to live in as stables instead. As with many native American tribes, what Kanza tribe members that remained were moved in 1873 to Oklahoma.

Moving on, we traveled south through the Flint Hills to the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. After making some lunch, we set out on a trail that passed through a culvert under the road and continued out across a hay field.

A typical prairie breeze was blowing the trees.

We came to a river which fortunately was low so we were able to rock hop our way across.

On the other side we entered an area cloaked with prairie grasses. Many different kinds of grasses.

Off in the distance we could see the buildings at the Preserveโ€™s headquarters.

Along the trail we also saw a variety of blooming and seeding plants.

Looping back to the river we passed through some woods where I spied deer (or antelope?) and turkey tracks.

Having made a full circle and come back to the road, we looked back across the field, the wooded waterway, and the grassy hill we had just visited.

Then we went into the Preserveโ€™s visitor center which had a small number of informative displays. No, not in this barn but in a building nearby.

One of the unique features of the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve is its pasture where you can hike among a herd of bison. As described in the last plaque weโ€™d read in the visitor center, however, the field had recently been burned off and the bison were being kept in a corral. So we set off to find them. The trail started at an old stone one-room schoolhouse.

Then out across what looked like a charred wasteland.

With the grasses burned off, the flinty rock after which the flint hills are named was exposed.

Shoots of green showed the grasses would be back soon.

Finally, off in the distance we could see the corral.

Hey, where are the bison?

Ahah, there they are! Some additions to the heard had recently been bought at auction as evidenced by the stickers on their backs.

Donโ€™t you wish you could do this? Or maybe not :B

Back across the prairie to the camper we went and on down the road towards home.

Day 14
Our last campsite was at Stockton State Park on Stockton Reservoir roughly 35 miles northeast of Carthage, Missouri. It was a nice, quiet stop, like all of my stops had been on this very enjoyable trip.

Thanks for riding along with us!

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Got some sweet color going on lately. Nice time for a trip ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed part one looking forward to part 2. Sure miss our Truck Camper. But health issues made it hard getting up into the bed.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Jimh425 - The DH has been up to Rocky Top. He and I need to make it out to MT. I clipped the corner, staying in the Red Lodge area one time, but there's a lot more of MT to see!

d3500ram - Yeah, you should have seen the smile that on my face when the boss told me he was sending me to CO for training ๐Ÿ™‚

Sango - Maybe next time you can bring my camper's younger sister along ๐Ÿ˜‰

sharkman - You're welcome and thank you for your comment as it helps give me the push I need to work on the next part.

cewillis - Yep, truck camper travel beats any other way!

coolmom42 - Weather can certainly influence how one remembers a place. I was lucky to have good weather on this trip.

Texas Shadow - You're welcome. See in your sig you have a lot of solar on your roof so you must travel the remote roads too!

Ramp Digger - Yes, I like the mountainous areas but the plains also have their own beautiful and interesting places to visit.

bigfootgrey - Thank you for your comment. Hope y'all are getting in some fall camping ... or is it already winter up that way :B

Clarryhill - You sneaked your comment in while I was typing the above responses! My next catch-up trip report will be a trip we took up to your state. I wanna go back!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics, Goin! Beautiful time of year for traveling. Appreciate you taking us along.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trip report and pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Great job as always!
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.