cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission question

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Here it is. I have a 2016 F-250 6.2L gas pulling a 2018 Cougar Half Ton 30RLS roughly 9500lbs loaded. When on pretty steep or long hills with the cruise on the transmission will shift all the way down to 3rd gear while traveling 60MPH. Is this hard on the transmission? I have been kicking the cruise off and keeping it to 4th gear when I can but I sometimes let the cruise do its thing. Just trying to take care of the Tow Vehicle for many many family adventures.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
27 REPLIES 27

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
You will not hurt the torqueshift transmission in your 6.2 powered truck,it is the same trans they use with the diesel.
When I had my 14 f-250 with the 6.2 with 3.73 gears I normally locked out 6th gear and never used cruise,if I did it seemed to make it shift too much.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Headed west
My best advice after all of this, my post included, is don’t overthink it. Drive the thing and you’ll figure out what works for you.
Have fun!!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
been down this road when I had a F250 and the 6.2...try using manual mode put it in the gear you want....works better for me. I would manual shift between 4th and 5th while cruising on the interstate using cruise control.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
A 6.2 with 3:73 gears at 60 mph in 3rd gear is nowhere near redlining so that's not a problem. I'd think that 3rd gear at 60 pulling a steep hill would be better than 4th because the torque converter would probably be locked.

I put mine in cruise and let it do it's own thing because I don't see any problem with doing that but I haven't had it over the Rockies yet. The sweet spot with my 6.2 litre and 3:73 gears seems to be about 63 mph. I'm pulling about the same load as you are.

I've always heard the expression that "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and I believe this applies to your situation. Try it different ways and see what works the best for you.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
On steep hills, I would not use cruise to maintain 60 mph. IMO, it is easier on the transmission, and engine, if hard downshifts, due to using cruise, are not allowed. It is all right to let the engine rev as needed, but I like making use of the manual mode, vrs just using D and the cruise. I am thinking the 16 and newer F250 gas 6.2s have a lighter duty transmission than previous 2011-15 models.

Jerry

The Torqueshift G trans started in 2017 models, so he has the heavier duty version in the 16. Ford has been building very impressive transmissions for the Super Duty line since 2003 so I was confidant when I ordered mine with the Torqueshift G trans. I too let the computer do the shifting, and it works well.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What gears does the truck have. that makes a difference also.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^This.
Heck, I lock out 6th in my pickups or 7th and 8th in the Charger even running bob tail in the mountains, sometimes.
Or if I keep the trucks in tow/haul or car in sport/track mode it keeps the fuel miser shifting from dropping into top gear just to shift back out of it a few seconds later.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have 3.73 gear ratio, I would lock out 6th gear, even on the flats. I have found that the engine is happier with a few hundred more rpm, and the mileage slightly improved. It would also help, if using cruise, as you'd have much less gear hunting.

Jerry

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your responses. I do all the things people suggested. But sometimes I get talking to the DW and forget to give it a little gas and the computer takes over. I have read both let the computer do its job and anticipate and accelerate prior to the hill. This last trip from Indiana to Florida through Tennessee on the way back I pretty much left the cruise off the whole time and tried to keep it in 4th gear or higher. There were a few times I got down to third gear just to stay around 55 up long steep grades. Truck pulls the 5ver great. I just want to take care of the TV the best I can for many future trips. I have thought about locking out 6th gear through the hills but wasn't sure if there were any benefits to doing that.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
We towed all over North Carolina Tennessee and north Georgia with a 6.2, 3:73 gear. On the flats I’d set the cruise with 6th locked out. On overpasses, I’d press the go pedal a bit on approach and let set back to cruise on the way down. Pulling some areas on I-40 in Tennessee, I’d be in third gear behind an 18 wheeler at 25 mph. That’s the way it went.

Patience and learning your rig is key.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We towed all over North Carolina Tennessee and north Georgia with a 6.2, 3:73 gear. On the flats I’d set the cruise with 6th locked out. On overpasses, I’d press the go pedal a bit on approach and let set back to cruise on the way down. Pulling some areas on I-40 in Tennessee, I’d be in third gear behind an 18 wheeler at 25 mph. That’s the way it went.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I would read my owner's manual and follow the instructions in it regarding towing.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not big on cruise up or down long grades either. If you’re kind of new to this in time you will figure out what the truck likes. I will manually downshift before I hit a hill or mountain that I know the truck will downshift on. I also know the rpm that my truck runs best on and manually downshift to stay in that range. When shifting under heavy load I will back off on the throttle for just a couple of seconds to reduce the stress on it while shifting. This seems to help a lot. Mostly, you want to avoid frequent up and down shifts, or ‘hunting’. Keep the motor happy and don’t let it hunt and you should be fine.
Happy travels!!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with using cruise in the hills is there's usually a few mph drop before the cruise kicks in. So you lose speed at the bottom and the trucks thinks it needs to make it up and drops down 1 extra gear too much. Then as usual cruise takes you past your set speed before shifting up. Too much ebb and flow. Turn off cruise in the mtns, or at least turn it off in the steeper sections. I still use mine in the mtns on the more gradual grades.