cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

120v circuit works but the 12v circuit does not

ctgsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing there is a fuse somewhere in the cable from the batteries, but I can not find it. Where should I look?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
8 REPLIES 8

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing there is a fuse somewhere in the cable from the batteries, but I can not find it. Where should I look?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If no fuse at battery, look at the fuse panel at the DC distribution panel
No 12v when plugged in either ??
Is the converter charging the battery when plugged in ?
Maybe the converter quit, and the batterys are dead. Its not like you gave much information.
Oh, the question, where's the fuse,...mayve there ain't one
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Navy E-8 wrote:
Just had a similar problem with my travel trailer. Blown 30 amp fuse between the battery and the trailer. Did not see it the first time around.. Replaced it - problem solved.

Yep, problem solved,.....till it happens again.
A 30 amp fuse doesn't blow because it got tired of doing the same job everyday. It most times blows because of a short circuit. But that's not saying there has never been a defective fuse.

Sorry, thread hijacked !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ctgsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I'm still searching for that 30A fuse. The positive line branches off to several devices. The coach is a Gulfstream Ultra class C, 1995 model.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIrst there are two ways a RV is wired and one of those has an "A/B" option as well though B is very very very very rare in modern right

1(A/B)
Battery--fuse/breaer--Swtch--Everything else including the converter

2: Converter--Fuse--Battery--Fuse/breaker--Switch--Everything else

The A/B is some (one very old) converter insists you have a battery.

Option 2 is most common with Inverter/Chargers of 1kw or more (IE mine is a 2kw, but I have both 1 and 2 in my RV. Long story, aftermarket inverter).

How to test.

I like to use a TEST LIGHT this looks like an Ice pick with a wire coming out of the clear handle and a light bulb inside. Any Auto Parts place or department. I have several. I even make them up myself as needed.

Start at the battery.. Clip to NEGATIVE tip to Positive bright light good. No light re-seat the lamp in the handle and re-test Still no light test a known good battery (Your car) bright light on car.. Dead battery on RV.

NOTE at any point a DIM light is not good either)

Move clip to any unpainted frame thing IE: a bolt I've used brake lines and such as well. tip to Positive>> Still bright.. move out along the POSITIVE wire. find teh other end of it. Still bright at the other end (I had one case where the WIRE was the problem) move to the other terminal on whatever it is connected to (Fue or breaker normally at this point) still bright.. Keep moving.

Problem exists between Bright and not bright.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a similar problem with my travel trailer. Blown 30 amp fuse between the battery and the trailer. Did not see it the first time around.. Replaced it - problem solved.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
First thing to check is the house battery disconnect switch turned on?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Tt or fiver?
What make, model?
Follow the positive cable from battery you will find it.