cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv plumbing questions, really need help

Mako_Kupo
Explorer
Explorer
hey guys, im back! the solar system is ready to be ordered monday, and now i am looking into installing my water system. i have questions.

-there is little room inside, and i wanted to keep my grey tank inside because i live full time in CT in my RV, and in CT we get very cold in the winter. if i stored my grey tank outside which is 15 gallons, how much pink anti freeze would i need per tank? there would only be about 1 foot of water line running from the motorhome to the tank(outside).
-can i stand my tank up in any direction? or does the fat hose on the bottom need to be on the bottom? can it be stood up vertically?
-does anyone have a diagram or picture that shows what each opening on the tank is for? there is a fat 1.5 or 2 inch hole center bottom middle, one more small opening next to it about half the diameter also along the bottom, and on the side top(same plane) two more openings. i dont know which is for what. if it makes it easier ill upload pictures.

more questions to come, thank you all!
6 REPLIES 6

Mako_Kupo
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Connecticut is no place to dilute RV antifreeze to save a buck or two.

im not tryign to winterize it, i live in it full time, and need to be able to shower. i dont think i have the room for the tank inside, some pictures later should help

Mako_Kupo
Explorer
Explorer
apologies i will be back with pictures for all of this today! thank you all!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures would be very helpful

Where did you get this tank?

Grey tank
S/B two 1.5" openings on top
One for Roof Vent line
One for sink drain line (which should also have an Air Admittance Valve just after sink 'P' trap

S/B one 1.5" opening either on bottom (not common) or sidewall near bottom for dump line
**Bottom drain not common due to limitations in location in RVs. Bottom drain would require tank to slope all 4 ways to bottom drain plus dump line then sticks down enough for elbow/slope to drain line which could cause it to hang way down.
Easier to side drain.....slope tank towards drain hole and then dump line doesn't hang so low

Sounds like you have a fresh water tank.
Fill opening, vent opening, cold water line supply, overflow opening, drain opening etc

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Connecticut is no place to dilute RV antifreeze to save a buck or two.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how you're draining your gray, but I think I'd try to keep it empty. RV AF is designed to be used full-strength, so there's that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
One opening should be for outside vent. You could use an under sink vent and cap this opening.
One 1.5 or 2 inch is for the drain.
The tank can be any direction as long as the drain is in the bottom and it is down hill from your fixtures.

Have you though of using one of these portable tanks
You may need as much as a gallon. This could be come pricey!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker