cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing issues specific to loaded Toy Haulers

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 2017 Jayco 273 Toy Hauler (31ft 6500lb, 12ft high), it is a beast. My truck is a new 2018 F150 with the 3.5TT, 10 speed, and best towing package you can get on an F150 (extra payload, rear axle upgrade, etc). My truck specs fully support the load of the trailer with room for safety (payload included), but I am not here to discuss specs, but more or less tow feel on highway specific to Toy Haulers. Please don't recommend a 250/2500, not going to buy another truck at this point.

I have an HD-WD set up, with dual sway friction bars, AND air bags. It is a much bigger RV than my last 22ft TT. On the highway at 65mph+ it gently pushes me around just a little under windy conditions. Not anything significant or dangerous, just unpleasant and requiring your attention. The 18 wheelers passing by are a real joy. The rear does not sway, but the entire rig (truck and trailer) get pushed around equally.

I am thinking 2 factors are causing the uncomfort at highway speed (the sheer height 12ft+, and the 31ft length), making this thing a big sail. I am sure 750lbs of dirt bikes loaded past the rear axle isn't helping.

I am thinking of selling it and downgrading to a smaller unit (maybe 20-26ft toy hauler, BUT before I go down this road, is there anything I am missing to make my current set up handle better? Also, if I just go down 4-6 feet in length, will that even improve my situation? Or am I going to have the same problem based on the larger height and weight past the rear axle, inherit with Toy Haulers? Would hate to downgrade and have the same **** problem.
11 REPLIES 11

dedmiston
Closing this thread. See this DUPLICATE for more discussion.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bedlam
I would start by getting actual weights of the trailer axles when loaded and filled, trailer tongue, how much your front truck axle is unloading and how much is restored with the WDH. At that point we can see if it is a weight issue and what can be done to fix it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MargaretRehkop
Explorer
Explorer
Very true said!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
95jersey wrote:
... My truck is a new 2018 F150 with the 3.5TT, 10 speed, and best towing package you can get on an F150 .

Best towing package + 3.5TT = contradiction. LOL

The best tow package would be a truck with a V-8.

31' toy hauler is a lot of trailer for any half ton, even if it did have a V-8

Well as far as power goes the 3.5 EB V-6 will out perform a NA 5L V-8. Power is not the OPโ€™s issue, it is the big sail he is towing with a lite F150.

I often hear this on the light newer aluminum F-150.

The case of the tail wagging the dog (when the trailer is like a box and not as streamlined).

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
trail-explorer wrote:
95jersey wrote:
... My truck is a new 2018 F150 with the 3.5TT, 10 speed, and best towing package you can get on an F150 .

Well as far as power goes the 3.5 EB V-6 will out perform a NA 5L V-8. Power is not the OPโ€™s issue, it is the big sail he is towing with a lite F150.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Toy haulers are heavy to start with. Our little 30โ€™ work and play which was supposed to weigh 6600 with 800 tongue but was more like 7,500 with 1,000 on the tongue. Loaded with our golf cart, we scaled at 9,600+. Started with a Chevy 1500 with air bags and was pushed all over the road while having to use 4 th gear to cruise. If you are swaying, Iโ€™d look at the hitch set up then see how much weight you can transfer to in front of the axles. No mater what you do, the trucks and cross wind will keep you awake.

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
95jersey wrote:

The 3.5 Twin Turbo is the highest performance 1/2 ton gas engine on the market. My truck makes 475ft torque lower than any V8...more than even all the 3/4 ton gas engines. SMOKES the 400hp V8 Hemi in my Dodge, and the Ford 5.0 significantly. Only thing producing more torque is diesel turbo.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have almost that exact set up... F150 with a bumper pull hauler with very similar specs to what you mention. We tried all kinds of stuff to make it a comfortable experience... WDH, sway bars, air bags, etc etc. In the end we traded up to an F250 (it was easier to do that than try to ditch the trailer). It worked so much better once we traded in the 1 year old F150 for an F250 (yes we now have another F150 but just as a daily driver), we didn't feel like we were getting pushed around all the time. I know you said you're not getting another truck, but just wanted to share what our solution was to the same problem. As you can see in my signature, we've since upgraded to a 1 ton dually and a 5th wheel.

Toyhaulers are designed to have weight behind the axle.... so that is likely not your problem.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:

Bob

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect uneven load weight distribution.

Eyeball whether hitch in dropping or higher. Front of truck to tail of trailer should approximately on the same height -- if I recall correctly, within 2 inches within.

And yeah, when I was considering buying a trailer, I was looking at the big ones and even willing to buy a bigger truck for it. I found out now that I have the best small trailer 21ft for the NP/NF campgrounds I love to go and the sweet spot of rig-to-SUV configuration. (Thankful to that stuck slide in a salesman's demo for helping me decide to go small, lol).

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first thought would be what is the hitch weight, loaded and unloaded. I'd also see how it towed with no dirt bikes in the back, see if I could narrow down the problem. Perhaps there isn't enough tongue weight when you're loaded to make for a stable ride, it happens.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"