cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A little uncomfortable with my set up...

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Let me explain...

I went from a Wildwood travel trailer (22ft, 3600lbs) to a Jayco 273 Toy Hauler (31ft 6500lb, 12ft high). My tonque weight went up significantly from probably a few hundred lbs to 1000lbs. Not to mention, putting in 250-750lbs of dirt bikes behind the rear axle.

My truck is a new 2018 F150 with the 3.5TT, 10 speed, and best towing package you can get on an F150 (extra payload, rear axle upgrade, etc). It is a beast and I could not even feel my Wildwood behind me. My truck specs fully support the load of the trailer with room for safety, but I am not here to discuss specs, but more or less tow feel on highway. Please don't recommend a 250/2500, not going to buy another truck at this point.

Towing the 22ft Wildwood was a walk in the park, I didn't even need a WD hitch. I could do 75mph without blinking. The experience with the Jayco is not so nice. It gently sways and pushes me around just a little, at highway speeds (65+). Not anything significant or dangerous, just unpleasant and requiring your attention. The 18 wheelers passing by are a real joy. I have a HD-WD hitch, airbags on the truck, and 2 anti-sway bars as well. It is set up as good as it is going to get. It is 100% level and the truck has the HP to pull it without question.

I am thinking 2 factors are causing the uncomfort at highway speed (the sheer height 12ft+, and the 31ft length). I am sure the higher tonque weight and 750lbs of dirt bikes loaded past the rear axle isn't helping.

I am thinking of selling it and downgrading to a smaller unit (maybe 20-26ft toy hauler, and in the 5000lbs or less range). Before I go down this road, is there anything I am missing to make my current set up handle better? Also, if I just go down 3-4 feet in length and 1500lbs in weight, will that even improve my situation? Or am I going to have the same problem with the increased height? Would hate to downgrade and have the same **** problem.
98 REPLIES 98

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
mhamershock wrote:
Before you go all bonkers try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-32218-Center-Line-Spring/dp/B00W919FL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540589689&sr=8-1&keywords=husky+centerline+ts+weight+distribution+hitch

Get the 1200 lb bars. I run this now - the difference from a friction bar setup was MASSIVE. And if it doesn't help at least you will have a decent hitch for your next trailer.

M

Just want to follow up on this old post. I bought the Husky Centerline with the 1200-1500 bars and WOW! Huge difference. Tows like a dream. It is really good. No sway even at 65-70mph. This was a great cheap alternative. It cost me $230 or so and works phenomenal. Thanks for this recommendation!

Thanks for the follow up - glad to hear it worked out so well!!!

Mike

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-32218-Center-Line-Spring/dp/B00W919FL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540589689&sr=8-1&keywords=husky+centerline+ts+weight+distribution+hitch

Get the 1200 lb bars. I run this now - the difference from a friction bar setup was MASSIVE. And if it doesn't help at least you will have a decent hitch for your next trailer.

M

Just want to follow up on this old post. I bought the Husky Centerline with the 1200-1500 bars and WOW! Huge difference. Tows like a dream. It is really good. No sway even at 65-70mph. This was a great cheap alternative. It cost me $230 or so and works phenomenal. Thanks for this recommendation!

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
Really the only thing that is going to make this "feel" the way you had probably hoped it would feel when towing, is a bigger truck.

Sure you have the max tow and air bags and all that, but 31 foot trailers just don't tow the same as their shorter, lighter, brethren. Especially with a F150. From what you describe, I feel like you need more tongue weight, yet I also feel like you have a lot of tongue weight to begin with.

The engines on the F150's are truly amazing with the power and ease they pull with, which can make you think you can pull just about anything, and well for the most part you probably can. But for how far, how safely, and how it "feels" is a whole different ballgame.

And I wouldn't be surprised if you went smaller and still didn't care for it. It sounds like you have the trailer you want. Upgrade the truck. You wouldn't be the first nor the last to take a bath on the upgrade. It happens, probably more often than not.

You can try the different hitch ideas, the different receiver ideas, all of that, and you might get close to happy. But then one day you will be just clearing the trees as a 18-wheeler rolls back in the other direction, it will sway, and you won't be happy again.

I know how much these trucks cost and it sucks big time to take a hit, but either way your going to take one whether its 5000 on the truck upgrade or 3000 on a hitch and 2000 on LT tires.

Or get the smaller unit and cross your fingers. Maybe you can test drive one or something? Seems odd, but its been a minute since I've been the dealer so I don't know if they would do this for you.

Just my thoughts.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A search will reveal contributor Ron Gratz โ€œThree Pass Scale Methodโ€ from 2010. Iโ€™ve used it here with others, and over on Airforums. Although not called that originally, itโ€™s a set of reference numbers to analyze basics. A formula. Find it and make a copy.

All three passes are made the same day. Max fuel. Full propane & fresh water. Thatโ€™s the minimum for TARE.

A camping load is that plus whatever else. All passengers on all three passes.

The short version is that the TV Steer Axle needs to wheigh the same as when solo or towing. Thatโ€™s the starting point. More weight, or less may be best.

You want to waste time, try Fords recommendations on hitch setting. GIGO.

This also allow one to dial in the TV tire pressure. Thatโ€™s according to Load. Too high and steering & braking are worse. TT tires are always to sidewall max.

A towing rig has three components:

1). Tow vehicle
2). Trailer
3). Hitch rigging

Itโ€™s equal importance for all three.

A properly set hitch is what preserves steering & braking control. ITS A STEERING COMPONENT.

A 1,200-lb hitch weight is the province of cars, SUVs and vans. How a WD hitch works is what solves that problem.

And a Hensley patent hitch is a fraction of the cost of either of the TV or TT. Itโ€™s dirt cheap for what it does. No more sway, guaranteed. Your choice of tow vehicle needs it as badly as the trailer.

As you have both the worst tow vehicle design, AND worst specific travel trailer design, โ€œstabilityโ€ is a word needs to be tattoed on you somewhere as a reminder. Either is bad with any other mate. Together, theyโ€™re a problem, just waiting.

After getting some feedback driving in different hitch settings, itโ€™s time for weighing the TT axles separately. Ask the Cat Scale Weighmaster for help. They have specific instructions on how to do this. Thatโ€™s the final hitch adjustment to work.

You also need to test brakes. The combined rig should stop slightly sooner than the pickup once the trailer is parked.

Did I see that you are passing big trucks? Nearly all of whom are at or above 65-mph early this year. Thatโ€™s too fast for a pickup when solo.

A pickup is just barely okay when kept in a straight line on a sunny day with dry pavement. Far from other vehicles. Make it a point that you are NEVER surrounded by other vehicles. Ever. Cancel cruise and back off.

Put your family first. You donโ€™t have the brakes, the steering or the stability. No RV does. (You are DEPENDENT on everyone else acting correctly. One fine morning, one or more of them wonโ€™t).

No lane changes. Maybe pass one or two others on the Interstate in 300-miles. No braking except to exit the highway. . Thatโ€™s closer to the definition of what is a successful day on the road than what others will recite.

Understanding how average speed works is what matters (not set speed).

Changing one TH to another wonโ€™t help unless the replacement has fully independent suspension plus anti-lock disc brakes. Your problem isnโ€™t TT length or weight.

Know the stability problems. And TEST.

Make the accommodations for what you have. The result you wanted. And then take it easy. Itโ€™s vacation time.

Numbers are a baseline. Not optional.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Slow down, the trailer is bigger than your last one and requires a different driving style. Towing anything over 60 mph is foolish in my opinion, you simply can't stop or avoid anything towing at higher speeds.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
mhamershock wrote:

M

THis is a nice unit at a great price, LOTS of positive reviews THANK YOU!

Even my 2018 HDPP benefited from this hitch. Turned a decent tow experience into an amazing ride - smooth, stable, even relaxing. Setup was easy. Only negative is that it can be noisy at very slow speeds when turning. I don't spend that much time doing that so it doesn't bug me.

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:

M

THis is a nice unit at a great price, LOTS of positive reviews THANK YOU!

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer

M

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
95jersey wrote:
FINALLY some useful information. Over the weekend I took the RV to my dealer to get winterized and asked them to weight the tongue.

drum roll...1280lbs (no bikes, no water, but fully loaded otherwise).

I don't know when I will be able to get to a CAT scale, as I am booked every weekend until late November. So for now, this is all we got.

So I am definitely exceeding the WD hitch rating (1000lb) at minimum.

95, a few observations on your situation. First, you have stated that you would like to downsize the trailer. If that is true then do it and be done with all this nonsense. If you are willing to try to get thing under control without spending tons of cash then you have lots of suggestions. 1. Tires: this will not be a waste of money even if you change trailers so start there. 2. A More Sturdy Hitch: Likewise you can transfer this to your new trailer and probably be better off.

And now a question I have. You found out the TW on your trailer but it wasn't loaded with your toys. 1200 is pretty heavy and I am guessing that this number will go way down when you load the TH. How did it handle when empty? Was is stable or did it sway? The rule of thumb is the heavier the TW the more stable the tow. Before you give up, you might want to load your stuff in the back and then weight the tongue. Just a thought. AS you take weight off the tongue it can get more difficult to tow. The challenge here is to keep the numbers within spec.

Believe it or not, regardless if I have 0, 1 or 3 bikes, it doesn't really change much. Even if I have no water or full water (54gall). It is just unpleasant if there is any wind or 18 wheeler passing by. The thing is just SO tall. On the interstate when I go through an area of highway that doesn't have trees lined on either side of the freeway, I can immediately tell (more wind). Amazing how the trees help keep the wind down. On tall bridges...forget it, slow down and hold on.

I have towed with an without water/bikes in combination. I don't really feel a difference as far as load. I would even go as far as saying when I was towing it new without ANYTHING loaded into it just locally, it was still being blown around.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
95jersey wrote:
FINALLY some useful information. Over the weekend I took the RV to my dealer to get winterized and asked them to weight the tongue.

drum roll...1280lbs (no bikes, no water, but fully loaded otherwise).

I don't know when I will be able to get to a CAT scale, as I am booked every weekend until late November. So for now, this is all we got.

So I am definitely exceeding the WD hitch rating (1000lb) at minimum.

95, a few observations on your situation. First, you have stated that you would like to downsize the trailer. If that is true then do it and be done with all this nonsense. If you are willing to try to get thing under control without spending tons of cash then you have lots of suggestions. 1. Tires: this will not be a waste of money even if you change trailers so start there. 2. A More Sturdy Hitch: Likewise you can transfer this to your new trailer and probably be better off.

And now a question I have. You found out the TW on your trailer but it wasn't loaded with your toys. 1200 is pretty heavy and I am guessing that this number will go way down when you load the TH. How did it handle when empty? Was is stable or did it sway? The rule of thumb is the heavier the TW the more stable the tow. Before you give up, you might want to load your stuff in the back and then weight the tongue. Just a thought. AS you take weight off the tongue it can get more difficult to tow. The challenge here is to keep the numbers within spec.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
I went to etrailer and there were no aftermarket hitches over 1200lbs and torklift doesn't make one yet for my truck.

So now at the minimum, I need a new hitch and WD system combined in excess of $4000. I can spend less money getting a new trailer. I prefer something smaller anyway, not only for ease of towing, but being able to fit in tighter places.

Spending $4000 to make your setup work would be...not the smartest, imo. I would say a bigger truck or smaller trailer is a better fix.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
95jersey wrote:
I went to etrailer and there were no aftermarket hitches over 1200lbs and torklift doesn't make one yet for my truck.

So now at the minimum, I need a new hitch and WD system combined in excess of $4000. I can spend less money getting a new trailer. I prefer something smaller anyway, not only for ease of towing, but being able to fit in tighter places.

You should buy a new trailer or differnet hobby.
As much as some people overanalyze, consternate and complain about towing, itโ€™s a wonder they actually take their campers out. Must be a lot of people just dreading the day the ole lady says โ€œHoney hook up the camper, weโ€™re going to ______.โ€
Itโ€™s a trailer, you have a truck. Theyโ€™re relatively well matched.
$4k to hook a trailer to a pickup is not cost effective, or necessary.
BTW, if you use the TH as intended, youโ€™ll likely lose a bit of tongue weight. If you donโ€™t then itโ€™s a bit tongue heavy. No big deal. Plenty of folks doing more with less, than your situation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Going to a much higher rated receiver will help....from a bit to lots...

It is the same as pushing a TV to it's limits and beyond...it will do it...but not as safely, nor as well as a higher rated one

Going over any of the OEM's ratings/specifications/limits/etc will NOT have the wheels instantly fall off...but...they will sooner than if at or below the OEM's ratings/limits/specifications/etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
You stated that 90% of the time you are comfortable and that the truck and trailer move in Unison. I would start with tires, both truck and trailer. It would probable solve 80% of the 10% you are unhappy with. Even if you go with a smaller trailer I would suggest upgrading tires.

Also the majority of TH are designed to have toys behind the axles and the majority are 12' to 14' tall so going smaller will likely not change this.