cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expedition Tow Vehicle - Doing the Math - Will it work?

SimonSays73
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some advice. We have a F150 that tows 10,700 lbs and works great. But with 3 kids and a dog and all the stuff, looking to move to the new 2018 Ford Expedition. Doing the math on whether it will work or not is causing me some anxiety as to whether I have it right or not. The specs are below, let me know if you think this is a doable option with the new '18 Expedition?

2018 Expedition
Curb Wt: 5,623
GVWR: 7,450
GCWR: 15,200
Tow Capacity: 9,200 (with weight distribution hitch)
Max Tongue Load: 930

2012 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS
Length: 32'
Dry Wt: 4,915
Payload: 2,615
GVWR: 7,530
Hitch: 530
Scale Wt: approx 6000 lbs (with all the stuff on board)

I worked it out that the truck would carry another 1,200 lbs with driver, passenger, kids, dog, bikes, etc... Also, the trailer would carry another 800 lbs of propane, batteries, tanks, misc contents, etc...

Trailer Full Spec: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-cruiser-rv-shadow-cruiser-travel-trailer-floorplan-s-280qbs-tr3288

Think it will work?
21 REPLIES 21

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Rustycamperpants wrote:
Here is what I know: I have been towing my TT for four seasons with at least one 2,000 mile plus trip every year and three or four shorter 200-300 mile trips each season. I have had zero issues with my Expy. In the six years ive had this Expy I put one set of brakes in the rear and one set in the front, also replaced the rear axle seals one time. I have 147,000 miles on it.

Highest elevation towed so far, Clingmans Dome Tennessee @ 6,000+ feet.

I guess I should have added that the TT in my sig. is 6,400 "dry" and 30 foot long box, not ncluding the hitch. I have no issues towing with my '09, any of the new aluminum Expys will be a cakewalk with a TT the size of the one the OP is considering. ....
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

joeyg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Expedition, with a 1654lb payload capacity. I am towing a Keystone Passport 3320BH (36'10" total length, 6590 shipping weight, 8000 Gross). Max towing capacity on an expedition in 9200lbs.

I don't carry anything in the Expedition except passengers to keep under the payload. When I bought the camper (used) it had no anti-sway!, I towed it an hour home. It was a bit scary when the Tractor Trailers passed, but manageable.

I think you will be Fine.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Sure seems like your too close to maxed out to me personally.

A 32' long rig is a lot for a standard wheelbase expy, I had one and it towed my 6k, 23' Layton great, but it felt maxed out and I would not want much more weight behind it than that. Also 530 lb tongue weight seems awfully light for that rig. Most tongue weights are 12-15% of loaded trailer weight. Good luck with your decision
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I know: I have been towing my TT for four seasons with at least one 2,000 mile plus trip every year and three or four shorter 200-300 mile trips each season. I have had zero issues with my Expy. In the six years ive had this Expy I put one set of brakes in the rear and one set in the front, also replaced the rear axle seals one time. I have 147,000 miles on it.

Highest elevation towed so far, Clingmans Dome Tennessee @ 6,000+ feet.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, was in line waiting and didn't have time to finish this thought to visually show what Bryan was saying...

First, am NOT a fan of IRS for towing heavy. Think the OEM/designers sized it for the +90% who do NOT tow heavy, so the question is: are the precision bushings/etc sized for towing heavy and for the out years ?

Kinda sorta full floating axle as Bryan says...because the weight is NOT carried by the axle...but by the hub bearing that is connected to the lower arm...just like any front suspension.

Precision because of how IRS works vs a live axle (solid tube and rigid one piece from left tire to right tire).

The weight from the frame rail is carried by the coil spring down to the swing arm (A arm, or lower arm) center (approx).

Then it swings on the pivot at the diff, a bit more than half way (guessing from the image)...to then place the weight to the pavement through the tire

Those pivots at the diff are NOT square laterally to the vehicle, but at an oblique because that is to manage the forces of moving the vehicle

Bottom line, for me, is that IRS is NOT stout enough for towing heavy and if over the spec/limits/ratings....going to wear out those bushings in a hurry
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Image.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Expedition technically has a full float rear axle.

Is that because it's independent rear suspension, or are you confusing it with the ExCURSion?

No confusion. IRS is full floating, since the axle shafts only turn the wheels, and the hubs are supported by bearings supported fully by the uprights.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
You've got 1,827 lbs of payload. Does the 6,000 lbs trailer weight include full propane, batteries and weight of the weight distribution hitch? If not those things need to be added to the trailer weight to calculate the tongue weight which conservatively will be 12.5% of the trailer weight.

Weight of trailer including all of the above times 0.125 = tongue weight

Deduct the tongue weight from you 1,827 maximum payload and that will give you the maximum weight of the things you can carry in the truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Is that because it's independent rear suspension, or are you confusing it with the ExCURSion?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

My concerns are more general, in the sense that as you get closer to the max ratings of a half-ton, stuff starts to break. Semifloater axles aren't as forgiving of being overloaded/heavily loaded compared to full floaters.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Well, based on the numbers provided by the OP...

2018 Expedition
Curb Wt: 5,623
GVWR: 7,450
GCWR: 15,200

Therefore, the payload of that vehicle is 1827.

We also have a family of 5, and while my trailer is a tad heavier, I know we're using every pound of my Suburban's 2088-lb payload.

My concerns are more general, in the sense that as you get closer to the max ratings of a half-ton, stuff starts to break. Semifloater axles aren't as forgiving of being overloaded/heavily loaded compared to full floaters.

What kind of towing? Long hauls cross country, or mostly shorter trips? Shorter trips, you'd probably be fine, but if you're talking about cross-country, long trips, I'd be concerned about the durability of the truck. Ask me about my "unscheduled" four-day visit in Mitchell, SD and the Corn Palace, with my heavily-loaded half-ton TV.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
The new aluminum Expys have a higher payload of 4-500# more than mine. My payload is just shy of 1,500# so it is possible to be near 1,900# payload. I pull a heavier camper than that with a family of five in the TV without issue.

I put almost nothing in the TV but snacks and have my Equalizer dialed in well after several tries.... For the wieght police, no I have not scaled my rig and yes it pulls great even over the smokies. I have not taken a trip over the west mountains though.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
My sister's family has a 3.5 Expedition EL and the payload sticker is in the 1400 lb range.

That's a more typical payload for a 1/2 ton SUV. Then you add the softer suspension of a SUV and a heavy tongue weight will really drop the rear end.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah it'll tow your trailer just fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold