cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of propane after flying j filled tank

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at a flying j and got propane tank filled, headed back down the highway and about an hour and a half we stopped and noticed the fridge was falted out for no lp.switched it to electric and finished our drive. Now here I find out we have no propane even at the stove, it lights then slowly goes out? Any ideas? Thank you Barney
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net
9 REPLIES 9

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
That switch may serve as a shut off as well. If they can't reach the actual valve, they use the emergency shutoff switch. Although it may say "emergency:" it may just be a remote to a valve that shuts off propane before it gets distributed through the RV.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer

You are mistaken on turning the tank OFF. If the tank is under the RV and not easily accessable, they will have an electric solenoid AT the tank. There will be a remote on off electric switch on the pass side in one of the side storage bays/doors. Some of them even have an indicator light with the switch. You need to find and locate that switch for future reference. It is CODE to have a remote shut off system on ASME motorhome LP tanks if mounted underneath where you cannot access the ON/OFF valve handle without crawling underneath. Also, by MOST State LP laws, that valve must be turned OFF when refueling the LP tank. They should then turn it back ON when they are done. Doug wrote:

PS, according to your year owners manual, they show the remote fill hose and 80 percent remote hose, but show NO electric valve. If this is true, you have a potentially dangerous set up. What happens if the LP regulator or lines have a major leak? Crawling under the unit is NOT the best way to attempt to turn the valve OFF.

As always thank you for your help Doug, the only switch I can find is where you fill it there is an on/off switch labeled (Emergency shut off) but I assumed that is for emergency only.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
How much propane was in the tank prior to refueling?
Was it raining or high humidity when you refueled?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Wire Man wrote:
Ok, here's my story and I'm sticking to it ??
The tank is under the coach in the middle of the chassis, the fill is in the last right rear compartment (no way to close the valve unless you craw under the coach and do it) so it never gets closed. I did get it working by bleeding off propane from the tank. Not sure why but it start flowing again. All systems go!
Thank y'all again for your help.

You are mistaken on turning the tank OFF. If the tank is under the RV and not easily accessable, they will have an electric solenoid AT the tank. There will be a remote on off electric switch on the pass side in one of the side storage bays/doors. Some of them even have an indicator light with the switch. You need to find and locate that switch for future reference. It is CODE to have a remote shut off system on ASME motorhome LP tanks if mounted underneath where you cannot access the ON/OFF valve handle without crawling underneath. Also, by MOST State LP laws, that valve must be turned OFF when refueling the LP tank. They should then turn it back ON when they are done. Doug

PS, according to your year owners manual, they show the remote fill hose and 80 percent remote hose, but show NO electric valve. If this is true, you have a potentially dangerous set up. What happens if the LP regulator or lines have a major leak? Crawling under the unit is NOT the best way to attempt to turn the valve OFF.

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, here's my story and I'm sticking to it ??
The tank is under the coach in the middle of the chassis, the fill is in the last right rear compartment (no way to close the valve unless you craw under the coach and do it) so it never gets closed. I did get it working by bleeding off propane from the tank. Not sure why but it start flowing again. All systems go!
Thank y'all again for your help.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the valve being not open is the problem. Let us know.
Wildmanbaker

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As others have said, it's procedure to shut the valve off at the tank when filling. They didn't turn it back on.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Valve was opened too quickly. Close it. Wait a minute. Open it very slowly.
You may have to re-bleed the air out of the line by lighting the stove.

The QCC valve must be opened very slowly. If it is opened too quickly, the excess flow valve, a safety device that senses the flow of propane, will shut down and not allow propane to pass.

Close all appliance burner control valves,
Close the cylinder valve,
Wait two minutes
Very slowly open the cylinder valve
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Propane valve at tank is shut off.