cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing air bags

ddferreira
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Fred. ( front end diesel ) We love our rig but I am interested in improving the ride by installing air bags. I was wondering if anyone had done this and were you happy with the results?

Dan
Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED towing 2010 Honda Fit with a Ready Brake tow bar/braking system. There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't! :B
3 REPLIES 3

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Kelderman air ride system on the front of my rig. I would not advise it. It only improved the ride marginally and was not worth the cost. If I had it to do over again, I would not. The system is also prone to leaks.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Air helper springs are mainly used to adjust the ride height for heavy loads, as Gundog says. Motorhomes do generally have a constant heavy load, so sometimes can benefit from them, but it's not going to make for a vastly smoother ride. They can help with wallowing around and (by stiffening the suspension) reduce side to side sway somewhat. They do improve handling when properly and appropriately used, but that's not really the same as improving the ride.

You're more likely to get actual ride improvements with other things such as ensuring you have proper tire pressures for your weight or installing better shock absorbers (which depends somewhat on what criteria is "better" to you). One good shock to consider, if it's available for your chassis, are the Koni FSDs which through fancy valving act as though they are fairly compliant for gentle bumps while still being decently stiff for large ones. They are not inexpensive, but work well.

If you can get ones that are suitable, air suspension seats such as truckers use are very nice as well.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have air bags on my Dodge pickup I installed them years ago when I had a truck camper to help stop the squat. They do not help the ride actually they do the opposite when it is unloaded. I let the air down to about 3 LBS or it will jar your teeth out. My MH has air ride suspension that is different than just adding air bags. Converting your suspension to air ride would probably be very expensive. Adding air bags for a helper is for large loads not for smoothing out the ride. Maybe someone else has better info on the subject but this is my experience.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000