cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I wait a week to winterize

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok it’s supposed to hit maybe 32 at night for a couple nights but back up in the 40s during the day
My coach IS inside my polebarn and I doubt it will get below the outside temp but ???
We want to use it a couple more times so I really don’t want to winterize just yet
Then we leave with it for the south
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
24 REPLIES 24

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok tonight is the cold one with lows in the low 30s high 29s... so I have the furnace set at 40
Two options
1) leave my kerosene heater on with a small fan behind it aimed under the coach
2) I have a small oslating cube heater, leave that on aimed under the coach

With either should I run the water heater they a cycle right before night ?
I thought I heard hot water freezes faster than cold
I’m thinking the water heater will be fine as the furnace should keep that nice
It’s the lines below the coach that are my main concern
It’s 37 here now... we are leaving in a week anyway so it’s just two nights that are possible issues

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if fire the water heater and let it get to temp will help to , shut it off after it’s up to temp

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha thx, it has 16 ft walls and 25ft to the peak, it’s full ridge vent and soffit vent so shouldn’t be an issue, no animals either ,, thx

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:

Is it safe to run the furnace inside my barn ?

Since the OP has asked this question twice, and no one has responded to it. I'll take a stab at it.

Are you worried about carbon monoxide? If so, the only issue would be if there are any animals or people in the barn with it overnight. If there are no animals or people, no concern about carbon monoxide.

If you have fuel tanks or gas for the mower or something like that, the safest thing to do would be to remove them from the pole barn while you run the furnace. That's probably an overabundance of caution, but still...

All the same, these are just my opinions. I am not liable if you follow my advice and something goes wrong.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
You'll be fine. You're only looking at 2-4 hours for the low which will be right at maybe freezing and that is for the outside air. With your trailer in your pole barn, there is a bit of insulation from the low so very doubtful it will even get to freezing temps inside the barn but if it did, again, only a few hours max at 32. If you're still concerned, do as suggested and set your thermostat at its lowest setting to have the heat come on.

You need to be more concerned when there is a hard freeze.

I agree with this. We've done RVing with freezing overnights but we were in Arizona where it warms up fast in the morning. It's the solid day/night freezes that are harmful.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Still probably won't be a problem just leaving the RV as is.

Set a small bowl of water in your pole barn and see if it freezes by 7am. Chances are it will be fine.
I love me some land yachting

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Now next week callling for one night 29
So I’ll set the furnace at 45 will that keep it from freezing ???
Is it safe to run the furnace inside my barn ?
Durning the day it’s warm in the barn but at night I think it’s the same as outside

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Ok it’s supposed to hit maybe 32 at night for a couple nights but back up in the 40s during the day
My coach IS inside my polebarn and I doubt it will get below the outside temp but ???
We want to use it a couple more times so I really don’t want to winterize just yet
Then we leave with it for the south

Might get down to 32 at night, and inside a closed pole barn?

I doubt the temp inside that pole barn will get below about 35 to 36 at most.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
But the furnace won’t stop the tanks and lines in the basement warm will it ??

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
At 32 degrees for 2 nights you'll be okay. If really worried put a ceramic box heater inside set at 700 watts with the thermostat dial turned on at about 1/3. I've done that with the trailer not winterized and sitting in the yard when the temps would be in the mid twenties for multiple nights and 30's during the daytime. Any colder and I would fire up the furnace on the lowest setting.

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our forecast said it was supposed to get down to 30 last night here. I woke up to 23. Believe it or not, the weatherman can be wrong! lol.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be using my Class C the weekend after next, want full water capability then, and have similar low 30's/high 20's lows a few nights in the forecast. I plugged in, turned on the furnace with the thermostat set to 50, and also stuck a ceramic heater in the storage compartment that has a removable panel to the water pump and strainer plumbing. Done this several times during shoulder seasons without issue.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is your Rv. If you are unsure of whether to winterize or not, you probably should. Why tempt fate and the possibility of a huge repair bill. I can winterize my TT in about 15 minutes and it cost me about $6.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine in a pole building as well. You won't have any issue with freezing....yet.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB