cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Windshield Leak Repair near Madison WI

einy
Explorer
Explorer
I believe we have the dreaded Winnebago windshield leak in our 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L. Can anyone suggest the best place and/or person to do the work in or around the Madison WI area. We are willing to travel if needed to find someone experienced with the rust issue below the glass.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
13 REPLIES 13

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
einy wrote:
If it's not too bold to ask, about how much did you pay for the rust removal and new glass at Duncan ?

Was a one day job. All rust was repaired and surfaces treated and caulking applied around new windshield - behind the molding- to hopefully keep moisture away from the mounting surface. I was impressed how thorough the job was - never thought of using the caulking but it is a great preventative. With everything in was about 3200.

einy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not too bold to ask, about how much did you pay for the rust removal and new glass at Duncan ?

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for Duncan RV Repair / Systems in Elkhart. Had my Journey windshield replaced last yr with very significant rust. No issues since. It's worth the trip to Elkart to have it done properly!

einy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Joe-n-Doe for the update.My husband has done some at home repairs this winter, and we have our fingers crossed that we will not see water on the dash this spring.

But if we do, we will need to re-address the problem, so thank you for the info.

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
We just went through repairing frame rust. Had one windshield replaced and was told about the rust, but not given any guidance. Needed to replace the second one and called the same local company our previous insurance company had contracted with. Their Tech spotted the rust and told us he couldn't authorize replacement until the rust was taken care of. He also told us the first Tech should have not under any circumstances replaced the first one without first having the rust repaired. Went to the local CW. They cleaned up the rust and WS was replaced by Duncan Systems. Cost $1,500 for the rust repair.

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Duncan RV.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the problem is that you won't really know if you have a frame rust issue until you pull the windshield. You didn't say anything about the existing windshield having a crack, just the water leak. Pulling the windshield to check the rust is a concern, as the act of removing it might cause it to crack (rare, but does happen.) And of course, once it's removed you are non-drivable. So you need to be sure wherever you take it they can handle both the glass (if breaks) and the rust, as its not going anywhere once they start the work. (Trust me, I know...)

Have you eliminated all other possibilities? Water from leaks migrate downward. Have you checked the seals around your marker lights, roof seams etc? Pulling the windshield would be a last resort after all other spots are checked.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
einy wrote:
Thank you Hikerdogs!! I will certainly check them out.

Did you have a leak / damage repaired, or just new glass?

We had the windshield replaced. It had a crack about 18" long starting from the top on the passengers side. Since it is a one piece windshield the whole thing had to be replaced.

When we took it in they said if they found rust or the frame needed repair there would be an additional cost. In our case there was no rust, so nothing was done beyond removing the original glass, prepping the surface and installing new glass.

This company specializes in RV, bus, and truck windshield repairs and replacement
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

einy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks emiddleb, for the suggestion. Elkhart is a long ride for us, but we're pretty sure we need the exact same type of repair. It would be good to know it's being done by someone that has experience with the rust issue.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Windshield glass repair/replace is one thing. Fixing the underlying rusted frame is something else. Been there. Not all glass companies can do that sort of work (grinding down the rust, priming, possibly replacing some of the metal.) And if its badly rusted, pulling the windshield to fix the rust can cause the windshield to crack.

When I had mine done, I had to travel to Elkhart. Duncan RV Repair did the work on rebuilding my rusted windshield frame, and then next-door Duncan Systems did the actual glass work.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Many cracks/star breaks can be repaired, replacing the windshield is not always necessary. Try NOVUS...just had mine done.
2014 American Eagle

einy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Hikerdogs!! I will certainly check them out.

Did you have a leak / damage repaired, or just new glass?

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We had the windshield replaced in our 2013 Adventurer at a place called Glassworks in Edgerton.

http://glassworkswi.com/

We tried several glass companies in Madison, but they all referred us to Glassworks when they realized we were talking about a class A motorhome.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer