cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a converter upgrade necessary anymore?

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded our last 2008 Tahoe because the Parallax converter would take a day to charge 2 6-volt batteries. We went with a Progressive Dynamics 4-stage that worked really well. We are getting ready to pick up our 2018 GD Imagine 2800BH and it has a WD-8955PEC. The website says it’s a 3-stage that charges at 14.4 volts. I would think that would be adequate for dry camping. Any experiences with these units? Thanks.
32 REPLIES 32

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mine was replaced with the MBA wildkat within a couple of months on a brand new trailer

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
WFCO's 8955 is no different than it's ever been, mine never charges beyond ~ 13.7 volts, turned it off and instead use a stand alone CTEK charger that does a proper 14.4 volt bulk charge.

yep our wfco 8955 never charges past 13.7 either. when it dies i will upgrade but because we don't boondock or dry camp it has served us and the 2 cheapo wally world 12v deep cycle batteries ok... our fridge is residential so xantrex freedom inverter and the 2 12 volts have been all we needed on longer road trips.

I didn't wait for my WFCO converter to die. I replaced it less than a year after I bought my 2017 J Flight 23RB new. Replaced it with the Wildkat 4655L M(ain)B(oard)A(ssembly). The L means it has a jumper so you can charge Li-on batteries. It's powered by Progressive Dynamics and is an easy replacement kit. Got it from Best Converters. It comes with the pendant that shows, at a glance, at which level it's charging, Boost, Normal, Maintenance, and De-sulfication. It retains use of the OEM AC breakers and the DC fuse panel. $213 for the kit, as I type.

Kept the one replaced and carry it with me in the trailer. Should for some strange reason, the PD die, I could do "surgery" in the field until a permanent correction was made.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
DB Cooper wrote:
..... our 2018 GD Imagine 2800BH and it has a WD-8955PEC. The website says it’s a 3-stage that charges at 14.4 volts. I would think that would be adequate for dry camping. Any experiences with these units? Thanks.

Only way to truly know what a converter is doing is to buy an amp hour meter to monitor the battery.

I prefer the Victron BMV712

I’ve never seen our WFCO go above 13.6V.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DB Cooper wrote:
..... our 2018 GD Imagine 2800BH and it has a WD-8955PEC. The website says it’s a 3-stage that charges at 14.4 volts. I would think that would be adequate for dry camping. Any experiences with these units? Thanks.

Only way to truly know what a converter is doing is to buy an amp hour meter to monitor the battery.

I prefer the Victron BMV712
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
PD is among the best for off-grid camping. Consider the PD9260-14.8 if you do a lot of charging with the generator. The PD4655 MBA is probably the most direct replacement for the WFCO.

Been searching threads looking for info on upgrading the OEM converter in my TT... I was wondering if you (or anyone else) would be willing to answer the following:

Functionally, what's the difference between the two PD converters listed (besides the higher voltage on the one for certain types/brands of batteries)? Is the 46xx series just a 'drop-in' version of the 92xx, or is there something fundamentally different about when you'd pick one vs. the other?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
DB Cooper wrote:
With my two new 6v batteries drained down to 11.2 volts, the charger didn’t go above 13.5v. Time for a converter - is the PD4655 still the one to buy or is there something new that I don’t know about? I will probably order from bestconverter.com again unless I find a deal somewhere.
PD is among the best for off-grid camping. Consider the PD9260-14.8 if you do a lot of charging with the generator. The PD4655 MBA is probably the most direct replacement for the WFCO.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DB Cooper wrote:
time2roll wrote:
DB Cooper wrote:
The website says it’s a 3-stage that charges at 14.4 volts.
Bring your voltmeter to verify.
Please post the results.
With my two new 6v batteries drained down to 11.2 volts, the charger didn’t go above 13.5v. Time for a converter - is the PD4655 still the one to buy or is there something new that I don’t know about? I will probably order from bestconverter.com again unless I find a deal somewhere.
I like the Boondocker. I can fit in the WFCO housing for a neat install.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
DB Cooper wrote:
The website says it’s a 3-stage that charges at 14.4 volts.
Bring your voltmeter to verify.
Please post the results.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
DB Cooper wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
If it were me and I was considering changing the charger out I would step up and install an inverter/charger of 1000 watts or more. With a remote display you can adjust the charge settings that best fit your batteries to ensure proper charge. This way if you ever install any solar panels the inverter/charger is already in place.
I am planning to add an inverter at some point. Is the unit you're describing separate from the converter? Do you have examples of name brands that I could research? Thanks.

I have a Magnum MMS1012 which is a 1000 watts, they make units with higher watt capacity also. The MMS1012 is an inverter/charger. I have the output of the inverter wired to three circuits in my camper to power the outlets, except for the microwave and AC's.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A full on converter REPLACEMENT is the best option.

This is what I'm using
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
If it were me and I was considering changing the charger out I would step up and install an inverter/charger of 1000 watts or more. With a remote display you can adjust the charge settings that best fit your batteries to ensure proper charge. This way if you ever install any solar panels the inverter/charger is already in place.
I am planning to add an inverter at some point. Is the unit you're describing separate from the converter? Do you have examples of name brands that I could research? Thanks.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
That 4400TAU is a Parallax part. DB has a WFCO.

Oops. I got confused. I thought I was responding to jerseyjim and his Parallax. I will go back and delete my erroneous post.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Our WFCO never goes above 3.7V either. Probably replace it this winter with the PD 4655.

I'm sure you mean 13.7 volts. 😉 For sure, one can replace the converter entirely but one issue that concerned me is that very few converters offer temperature compensated charging. East Penn which manufactured my DEKA G31 AGM battery warns that temp compensated charging is a requirement, not an option, in which case simply turning off the stock WFCO and using a stand alone charger that does offer compensated charging seems like the better choice to me. Also less work to make the change. :B

Ahhh...what’s a couple volts here or there? Or 10? LOL
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch