cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I searched the recent Directv posts and I don't see this specific question answered. I have had Directv for several decades and have always had an extra receiver in my motorhome. About a year ago I moved the stick and brick house and at that time I upgraded to the Genie II at the house. I had an HD receiver in the motorhome and I noted it got turned off when I upgraded to the Genie II. I didn't worry about it too much at the time because I knew I wasn't going to be using the motorhome much for a while.

So now I wanted to use my motorhome again and I called Directv to try and get an HD DVR to put in the motorhome. After an hour on the phone and talking to two different idiots who didn't know what the heck they were talking about, I finally got an idiot who told me I can't do it. They said to have satellite in my motorhome I had to start a completely separate account. They couldn't tell me why or what changed and the fact that I've had Directv in my motorhome since 2001 didn't mean anything to them.

So the question: Does anybody have Directv in both their house and their motorhome on the same account? If so what equipment do you use?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

35 REPLIES 35

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
charwan and milestock, Are you posting about the Genie 2 or some prior Genie model?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the "DIRECTV Genie 2 DVR Genie Server Receiver (HS17)" which is the newest Genie. NOTE: This receiver is triangular in shape and hence very distinct.

My understanding is that no other receiver can be on the same account, period. I know for a fact that this restriction does not exist for my HR44 Genie and probably not for the HR54 Genie.

The Genie 2 manual clearly states it will display a tilt error if not upright.

I speculated that the upright only restriction implied better ventilation is required and installation in a cabinet might cause over temperature.

No reason that I'm aware of that you couldn't take the Genie 2 and 1 or more clients in a RV provided you have a SWM dish.

Bob

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
What changes is you got suckered i to a GenieII. With that setup your not allowed to have any other receivers on your account. And NO you cannot take the GenieII with you when you want to travel. Now if you had a GenieI you could take it with you. No extra accounts needed.
Now because of all the issues with Direct and their total lack of customer care it may be time to switch.

Wrong and wrong. I have Genie at home and also have two other DVR's, one standard receiver and one wireless Genie client. I take the Genie and one DVR with me in the motorhome and sometimes an extra receiver, depending on how long I will be gone and the weather conditions (outside viewing).

Sometimes I leave one of the DVR's in the motorhome while it is in storage. Storage has power hookup. I keep the rooftop dish up there, just to keep it from having to be reset and sometimes I watch, when I'm working on the inside.

Your correct Mikestock there are several ways to do it if your tech savvy and want to take the time and spend the money. I read a post on the other rv site and they told how they were doing it. I'm satisfied with what I got and not interested in working on it to get more stations. I want to know what do you save by suspending service on your stand along per month when they only charge you $7 per month for service.
N4FAP

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
What changes is you got suckered i to a GenieII. With that setup your not allowed to have any other receivers on your account. And NO you cannot take the GenieII with you when you want to travel. Now if you had a GenieI you could take it with you. No extra accounts needed.
Now because of all the issues with Direct and their total lack of customer care it may be time to switch.

Wrong and wrong. I have Genie at home and also have two other DVR's, one standard receiver and one wireless Genie client. I take the Genie and one DVR with me in the motorhome and sometimes an extra receiver, depending on how long I will be gone and the weather conditions (outside viewing).

Sometimes I leave one of the DVR's in the motorhome while it is in storage. Storage has power hookup. I keep the rooftop dish up there, just to keep it from having to be reset and sometimes I watch, when I'm working on the inside.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
This whole thread is why we switched to Dish. I wanted to stay with Directv, I explained what I needed and they assured me they were going to send me the proper equipment to be installed in my trailer. 2 days later and 4 hours on hold (in total). I was finally able to cancel my service when I didn't get what I was promised.

7$ a month for my Dish receiver in my RV and I can have it suspended when not in use and the 7$ will be prorated. You also get HD channels with a simple dome that doesn't require powered swm adapter.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
My take on Genie 2. It has issues last I checked. But I'm sure they will get resolved.

It's designed more furniture like. Must be vertical for cooling so I suspect it would overheat in a cabinet unless there is a lot of ventilation. It requires power and coax. It may not be the most desirable receiver for a RV considering space, cooling and power.

Anyone have better input on the Genie 2?

I've had my Genie 2 for 18 months now and are very happy with the service. I read that they had problems with the recording part and it was mentioned about loosing recordings which I had noticed. You go thru the list and go back to something and it's gone.

Now my Genie is sitting in a cabinet like the other TV stuff and no heat problem and it's laying flat not on it's side.
N4FAP

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
charwan wrote:
The reason they are going to the Genie 11 they don't have to install cable any more not that people are stealing their service.
They still have to install coax from the dish to the Genie including Genies prior to Genie 2. They also have to install coax to any Genie Clients that are not wireless.

Genies reduce potential stealing since the Genie Clients must be connected to the Genie either wireless or by coax. No longer can a receiver be a a friends house with his own dish.

I didn't mean to imply that someone didn't have to put ant. on roof and wire to the genie 11 wireless. Once they get that done the other are wireless and don't need no cable it works off your ADSL.

I also stated they would not "Give or let" us use a stand along with the wireless system. There's no reason they could not turn the H24 on in my camper but they would not.
N4FAP

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My take on Genie 2. It has issues last I checked. But I'm sure they will get resolved.

It's designed more furniture like. Must be vertical for cooling so I suspect it would overheat in a cabinet unless there is a lot of ventilation. It requires power and coax. It may not be the most desirable receiver for a RV considering space, cooling and power.

Anyone have better input on the Genie 2?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
charwan wrote:
The reason they are going to the Genie 11 they don't have to install cable any more not that people are stealing their service.
They still have to install coax from the dish to the Genie including Genies prior to Genie 2. They also have to install coax to any Genie Clients that are not wireless.

Genies reduce potential stealing since the Genie Clients must be connected to the Genie either wireless or by coax. No longer can a receiver be a a friends house with his own dish.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
charwan wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Good clarification. Can't see how 2 accounts could be considered sharing.

I'm telling you the truth. The tech drove up in his DTV van got my son's new H24 out and went and installed it in my MH. I ash him if he wanted to hook it up to my sat and he said he would use his. Drug a dish out and set it on the ground and put it together on a stand. I know this was a waste of time but he's the boss. Came up right away and he put his equipment back in the truck. By the way he was an ATT tech. I ask.

I also told you the same tech came out on a Sunday two weeks ago and took out the new Genie II out that he had installed 3 weeks before and installed his old Genie I. It also seems they don't send equipment boxes out any more. You take your old equipment to UPS and they box it for you and send it back. Same tech he works this area.

Hopefully, no one implied that you were not telling the truth and the good news is that DTV likely will never find out that the tech did the wrong thing and that you are doing the wrong thing. If you don't live there then you cannot use one of those receivers. Exactly the same as his next door neighbor cannot use on of his receivers and not pay DTV for a separate account.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the Genie 2, the first client is free as that is the only way you can watch TV. After that, each additional client is billed just as it is today.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are likely various reasons for Genie 2. The HR44 and HR54 Genies also have a wireless option.

Curious about the charges. Is there a receiver charge and a charge for the first Genie Client which would not be needed for prior receivers?

4K TVs are available in most stores. So 2x4K capability would be desired by users plus DTV charges extra for those programs.

Technology advances. The main features for me when the HR44 replaced the HR24.
1. Boot time was a lot less. With frequent travel in the MH this was a A++.
2. Search, channel change, etc times were faster.
3. It had the external PI so less heat in the HR44 cabinet.
4. The remote was RF so no need for line of sight.
5. 5 channel recording. We would occasionally reach the prior 2 channel limit. We record most everything and hence skip the ads.
Apparently the Genie 2 has additional improvements.

The downside was the requirement for a SWM dish and we went for the full array dish for the full capability. Our choice for the RV was the RF Mogul dish. I'm aware that Winegard has a larger market. But there was no way I could stomach the possibility of removing the Winegard and shipping it in for repair. Just an absurd service policy IMHO.

The RF Mogul dish is composed of motors, gears, LNB, coax, GPS antenna, blue light and power cable. All of the electronics is in a box inside the RV.

Bob

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Good clarification. Can't see how 2 accounts could be considered sharing.

I'm telling you the truth. The tech drove up in his DTV van got my son's new H24 out and went and installed it in my MH. I ash him if he wanted to hook it up to my sat and he said he would use his. Drug a dish out and set it on the ground and put it together on a stand. I know this was a waste of time but he's the boss. Came up right away and he put his equipment back in the truck. By the way he was an ATT tech. I ask.

I also told you the same tech came out on a Sunday two weeks ago and took out the new Genie II out that he had installed 3 weeks before and installed his old Genie I. It also seems they don't send equipment boxes out any more. You take your old equipment to UPS and they box it for you and send it back. Same tech he works this area.

N4FAP

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hum, what's wrong with "Theft of Services"? I can't answer that in today's "me" society, but if you are not a resident of the home then you have NO legal status to use a DTV receiver from that home.
I think this is the #1 reason that DTV is moving to the Genie 2 as it will eliminate all of the fraud taking place today. Some RVers use their kids address as their home address and in this case it is "technically" legal to add a receiver to the RV. However, if your residence address is not the same as the owner of the DTV account then the use of a receiver from that owners account is fraud and classified as Theft of Services.