cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stricter animal cruelty law passed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Florida just passed a bill allowing judges to charge animal cruelty cases with a "third-degree felony" punishable by up to "five years in prison" and a "$10,000 fine" and "prohibit" the offender from ever owning another dog.

The bill, HB 473, was called Ponce's Law which stems from a horrific case of animal cruelty . https://www.news-journalonline.com/.../ponces-law-bill

Each state has their own laws regarding animal cruelty and most states are very lenient for the offender. Many cases of cruelty across the United States the abuser is only being charged with a misdemeanor.

I post this because this sets a good precedent and 'now' would be the perfect time for you to easily

copy this bill and send it to your Senator and State Rep and Governor demanding that your state increase the punishment regarding animal cruelty

if they have not already done so. And/or add on to it.

We need to have ALL the states increase the punishment and give judges the option to include jail time, felony charges, and if convicted prohibit them from ever owning another animal.

Now is the time for everyone to make a difference on behalf of all animals. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

19 REPLIES 19

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sullivan 'pleaded to a misdemeanor' and the judge granted the lifetime ban and sentenced him to 240 days in jail.

It was brought to the judges attention that the "amendment" under ponces law for "life time ban" would take affect Oct 1.

Judge rescinded only the lifetime ban part of the sentence.

""County Judge Dawn Fields granted the lifetime ban plus sentenced Sullivan to 240 days in the county jail.
Fields on Wednesday rescinded the lifetime ban after the issue was brought to her attention.
The jail sentence already conforms with current law so that stands.""

It hasn't been that long ago that all these animal abusers walked scot free. I was a humane officer for several years and have viewed the carnage, brought the abusers up on charges, only to see just about all of them walk away without any jail time and re offend. Before people rallied to change the laws.

So, I am very glad to see the laws change to convict and send them to jail.

And again the reason I posted it was for others to present it as a precedent to encourage their states to change the laws to include: felony charges, jail time,and ban ownership. It is much easier to present a bill and/or add to or change it, and get it passed, if the law is already in place elsewhere for your senators, reps, governors to review.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Valhalla is correct in you can't charge a person for a crime that was not a crime when they committed the act. The animal cruelty laws in Kansas were passed on the outcry of the puplic after several heinous acts to pets made the news. Like I said earlier enforcement is entirely another issue. Lenient sentencing by judge's whether people or pets is another issue as well.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
This sounds like

political grand-standing

more than anything else.

Yeah, it's on the books but I seriously doubt you are going to see

people getting locked up as a result.

I guess we will see first hand when this guy's sentencing hearing happens.

Not that I like what happened by any measure and he probably deserves some time treated like he did his pets but...

You can't change the laws after the fact to make something a crime.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Animals are helpless.

I agree that they need a voice and I also know that serial killers and murderers often start out by killing/torturing animals but crimes against humans should be punished more severely. Children are helpless as well. IMHO to put humans and animals on the same level is wrong. We can only hope that this law gets enforced and is not used as a bargaining tool.
5 days ago two Tennessee men were charged with raping a 9 month old child and filming it. I think their punishment will be far worse then anyone caught molesting a dog. I don't see where anyone puts animal's on the same level as humans. I do believe in punishing people that are reprehensible members of society.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Animals are helpless.

I agree that they need a voice and I also know that serial killers and murderers often start out by killing/torturing animals but crimes against humans should be punished more severely. Children are helpless as well. IMHO to put humans and animals on the same level is wrong. We can only hope that this law gets enforced and is not used as a bargaining tool.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Felony charges involve probation. PO officers are mandated to routinely do unannounced home checks on people on probation.

1. What happens when the probation is over? Usually isn't for life.
2. They may be mandated but one has to question if they are really being done.

I do find it sad that cruelty to animals has a worse penalty than7 cruelty to a human. They are not one and the same.
I find cruelty against humans and animal's both to be despicable. If you look up the BTK killer (Dennis Radar) you will find he got his jollies torturing animals before he moved on to humans. Several serial killers follow this same pattern. I would like to see these demented people caught and locked up before they move on to humans.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
How can anyone enforce a person not owning another animal? Is there some sort of national database these offenders go in to that town clerks tap into when you register your dog? Sounds completely unenforceable to me.

The same way virtually all laws are enforced, upon discovery of illegal activity. I hope you are not advocating not passing laws because it would be difficult to enforce. Post above mentions Probation Officers as witnesses. We could include neighbors and relatives as well. I would certainly report an incident if I had the knowledge. How about an animal abuser registry, much like sex offenders must use?
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I do find it sad that cruelty to animals has a worse penalty than cruelty to a human.
Animals are helpless.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Felony charges involve probation. PO officers are mandated to routinely do unannounced home checks on people on probation.

1. What happens when the probation is over? Usually isn't for life.
2. They may be mandated but one has to question if they are really being done.

I do find it sad that cruelty to animals has a worse penalty than cruelty to a human. They are not one and the same.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
The new law will not apply to the one charged in the case that prompted the new law.
That's usually how it works.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Did you not read the article at the link YOU provided? The new law will not apply to the one charged in the case that prompted the new law.

“The law will only apply to people charged Oct. 1 or later. Prosecutors had attempted to apply it earlier this year in a case only to have to walk that back.

And it won't apply to Archer if he is convicted. Archer is accused of animal cruelty, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.”
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
How can anyone enforce a person not owning another animal? Is there some sort of national database these offenders go in to that town clerks tap into when you register your dog? Sounds completely unenforceable to me.

If the person is found to have a dog, that is a 'violation of probation' and off they go back to jail. There is no if and's or butts when it comes to violating probation.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
This sounds like

political grand-standing

more than anything else.

Yeah, it's on the books but I seriously doubt you are going to see

people getting locked up as a result.

I guess we will see first hand when this guy's sentencing hearing happens.

No not political grandstanding. Read the article.This was a local private group of concerned people who worked 'very' hard to get this bill introduced and passed, getting 70,000 signatures etc.

I just bought a home in Florida. Originally from IL/WI where there 'are' laws in place to ensure the humane treatment of all animals.

I have never seen such blatant and 'accepted' horrific situations regarding the care, housing, and abuse of all animals in Florida near me. 😞 You get into the even more rural areas and its rampant. 😞

Florida is still living in the dark ages when it comes to proper care, safe housing and animal cruelty. So I thought this bill was a real good start for Florida.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

Douglas Adams