cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Fleetwood Discover, the hot water is only Luke warm coming out the faucets, everything seams to work fine but doesn't get hot. Replaced the thermostat today and that didn't help. It's almost like it is mixed with cold water before it comes out of any of the faucets. Any ideas?
PS, Atwood GE16EXT 16 gallon unit
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net
8 REPLIES 8

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the late response but y'all were correct, it was the bypass valve. Got one yesterday and replaced it. I have hotter water than I've had all year!!
We are in a campground 700 miles from home so it took a while to truble shoot it and wait until Monday to find a part.
Again thank you for all your help!! Barney
PS been in the 30's the last two nights so that made the water colder.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
For those that think the bypass valve is partially open or open----That would be a valid item IF it was after a Winter season. The OP has been using his unit, so how did the bypass get open or partially open??????? He has an EXT model and a Mixing valve is the most common cause of this type failure. Doug

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like your bypass valve on your hot water heater is partially open.
Close it all the way.
2010 Suncruiser

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The most common cause of "Luke warm" is use of the outside shower.. You cut off flow at the head but leave the mixing valve open. I have "Fixed" a few by simply closing the mixing valves.

THe 2nd most common is a 3-valve Bypass system and leaving the bypass valve open.

And as the third response said. If you have a mixing valve. that can do it too.

BUt I'd check issues in just that order.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I need a drink
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have a EXT. The mixing valve is bad. You can remove it and attempt to clean the minerals/calcium out of it or replace it. So, yes, you are right. It DOES mix with the cold water thru the mixing valve. 160 degree water mixes with cold water thru the mixing valve to produce 130 degree water. Doug

PS, you do NOT have a 16 gallon Water Heater. You have a 10 gallon water heater that mixes the HOTTER(160 degree) water to produce 16 gallons of 130 degree water.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=atwood+mixing+valve&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2419...

This is where it is located.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-94026-XT-Water-Heater/dp/B000HDCRH4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539475468&...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outside shower, check to make sure its off at the knobs, not just the end of the hose.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Check the winterizing bypass valves.