cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Monitoring Systems

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering getting a tire monitoring system for my Class A, but am curious about the need for one on a dinghy. I will likely be buying a new or almost new vehicle that has a factory tire monitoring system, but don't know how to monitor it from MH. Do I have to buy additional sensors and program to system in MH? Or is there some one to have system in dinghy report to MH panel? I am considering getting system for Class A in the next couple of months, but may not buy a dinghy for six months or longer. Please share how or if two separate systems can work together, or if I need to buy one that can monitor 10 tires.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
11 REPLIES 11

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a TireMinder system, with 4 sensors, for a number of years with my truck and travel trailer.

I've just upgraded to a Class A, towing a Jeep. I also purchased a new TireMinder system that came with 6 sensors.

I could have used the old system, and purchase 6 new sensors to use with it. But the sensors are so expensive, that wouldn't be cost effective.

So I'll use the 4 old sensors on the Jeep, the 6 new on the MH, and use the new monitor. I can use the old monitor in the Jeep if I so choose.

Unfortunately I don't see any of their products that includes 10 sensors. Still need to buy extra ones for your TOAD. It also doesn't work with vehicle OEM sensors.

The only way I know the Jeep is still back there is with the backup camera. If it blew a tire, likely wouldn't know it for a while. I had a tire on my travel trailer do exactly that. Wasn't until someone pulled up next to my truck, and pointed at the trailer that I realized what was happening. Didn't shake the tow vehicle! I bought the TPMS shortly thereafter.

Here's the new setup I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UXIBSXC/
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went with TirTraker and the lifetime warrenty. Had TST before and did not like lost signal as much even with the repeater.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
Our 10 tire unit including the repeater to get the toad signal to the monitor was a bit under $500.

Would you share what brand you have? I get so confused when I see all the different ones. It seems (just like most ads) they all are the absolute best/greatest option.

thanks

We have the TST 507 system. It is the third TST system I have purchased for three different motorhomes and two different toads. In the past 10 years. I am sure many other systems work well also, I just like to stick with a brand I know works well.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Our 10 tire unit including the repeater to get the toad signal to the monitor was a bit under $500.

Would you share what brand you have? I get so confused when I see all the different ones. It seems (just like most ads) they all are the absolute best/greatest option.

thanks
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
ktjensen wrote:
sure decide on if you need one and go from there. Many TPMS have a review or two about how they do not update every fifteen minutes. Some can give a FALSE OKAY reading. They are costly at $300 for the cheap ones, and twice as much for the expensive versions.

Our 10 tire unit including the repeater to get the toad signal to the monitor was a bit under $500. Our mh tires are about 7-800 each plus damage that would be caused by a blowout due to low air. Money well spent IMHO. Remember, you donโ€™t need it until you do.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leaving on a 3 month trip back in July, I was about 50 miles from home and noticed one of the tires on the toad dropped about 8 PSI in about 5 miles, I pulled over to the first place I could and put on the spare. It turned out to be a bad valve stem. If I didn't have the TPMS on the toad, I imagine I would have had significant damage to the toad and ruined a tire. As it was, I lost a little bit of time doing the spare swap out and was able to put a new valve stem on later in the trip. That incident there, "paid" for the TPMS .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ktjensen
Explorer
Explorer
sure decide on if you need one and go from there. Many TPMS have a review or two about how they do not update every fifteen minutes. Some can give a FALSE OKAY reading. They are costly at $300 for the cheap ones, and twice as much for the expensive versions.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Car factory installed tpms systems cannot be monitored inside the mh and thus are useless when towing and the ignition is off. We run a 10 tire system and have saved ourselves problems by doing so. A cousin of mine had over $3000 in damage to his Jeep when a front tire went bad and he did not know it. He now uses a 10 tire tpms system as well.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the monitoring systems monitor at least 10 tires. The thing about RVing is you tend to drive a lot of miles at a stretch. In town, a nail in the tire causes a slow leak that you come back out of the store to find a flat. A full day of driving allows a slow leak time to draw the tire down to the danger of failure zone. Particularly since no one is riding in the toad to notice it, a failure at speed is much more likely. TPMS should be standard in all RVs. Much more of a safety issue than in a normal vehicle.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Each car manufacturer uses their own proprietary TPMS, and there is no universal monitoring system that will read the toad's system in your motorhome. The only alternative is to add the additional sensors for the toad to your motorhome TPMS.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 tire system.
Doubt if the two could talk to each other.
I lost a tire on my toad before I had the TPMS and did not know it.
Thatโ€™s when I got the system.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE