Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: no RV parking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For furniture moving related reasons, I moved my motorhome to the street yesterday at 1p. I got home from work at 4p, and had a nice (not so much) warning from the police that I was in violation of the law stuck under my windshield. No ticket, just a heads up warning for now I guess... I looked the law up today (not realizing we had such a strict law in our city) and it certainly does appear that as of last year it is literally illegal to park an RV on city streets!

If you go by the letter of the law, I could get a ticket for going to the local 7/11 for a coke on the way out of town. Even if I do have a temporary one day permit for parking in front of my own house! Seems crazy.

Anyway, they are requiring residents to apply for a one day permit every time you want to park on the street to load/unload. This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

The old law was that we could park on the street for 72 hours. I guess the (extremely few) vagrant types were just moving to a different spot every few days, so now we all get this.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

For furniture moving related reasons, I moved my motorhome to the street yesterday at 1p. I got home from work at 4p, and had a nice (not so much) warning from the police that I was in violation of the law stuck under my windshield. No ticket, just a heads up warning for now I guess... I looked the law up today (not realizing we had such a strict law in our city) and it certainly does appear that as of last year it is literally illegal to park an RV on city streets!

If you go by the letter of the law, I could get a ticket for going to the local 7/11 for a coke on the way out of town. Even if I do have a temporary one day permit for parking in front of my own house! Seems crazy.

Anyway, they are requiring residents to apply for a one day permit every time you want to park on the street to load/unload. This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

The old law was that we could park on the street for 72 hours. I guess the (extremely few) vagrant types were just moving to a different spot every few days, so now we all get this.

What city in Northern calif. are you talking about

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

What city in Northern calif. are you talking about

North is relative [emoticon] Novato (30 miles north of SF). Here's the actual new code they wrote:

https://novato.org/home/showdocument?id=22671

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to California! You'll find that although there are quite a few parking restrictions everywhere in the state, the level of enforcement varies widely. Generally, the closer you are to the coastline and the higher the population density, the less slack you can expect.

Generally, law enforcement is aware of the parking issues with motor homes. If you make the mistake of parking in a "hot zone" you can expect to be contacted by law enforcement shortly and asked to move. If that happens, politely/respectfully ask the officer where you CAN legally park. Then, don't make a habit of using the same place too often. Discretion is the key. Hint: most officers patrol specific areas on a regular schedule and they don't regularly discuss non-events with other officers. Eyesores are memorable events.

Park and Ride, Freeway Rest Areas, Amtrak/Metrolink Train Stations, Walmarts (less everyday), Truckstops, etc., are a few places to try.

Chum lee

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what happens with things like "stealth" and those who think they are above the rules. Dumb people always mess things up for others.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel yout pain. We always parked our TT in front of my Daughters house in Jax Florida on way to South Fl and back. Usually no more than 3-4 days. No problems until we went there to escape Hurricane Florence. After the first night we got a notice we would be towed that day if not moved. This came from the HOA.

We scrambled and found a srorage place close by. Had to pay 100.00 monthly rate for our 5 day stay. Ouch!

My Daughter called the HOA and they said they had a new management company and they were strictly enforcing the rules. Rules are rules I guess. Now we are looking for a more reasonable place to park on future trips.

So it can happen anywhere. Good luck!

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can suggest for you is to move! Sounds awful, but that's what we did.

Lived in the same town in Indiana for 16 years. 6 years at one house, 10 years at another. We had a travel trailer of some sort the entire time parked beside the house.

Then one day we received a notice on the door we were in violation of the city ordinances and had to move the trailer. We could have put it in the back yard, if we could have navigated it back there. But we couldn't.

We checked zoning, city ordinances, everything the rule was, the camper had to be parked 3 times the height from the property line. That means, if the tallest spot on your camper was 10 feet tall, it had to be no closer than 30 feet from your property line. No one had space like that.

Well, we did move the camper out and parked it for a short while on the wife's parent's farm about 60 miles away. Meanwhile, we threw the house up for sale and bought another house in the next county over where we could park it on our own property. And then brought the camper home, and we've been driveway camping ever since. That was 10 years ago now. It was the best decision we could have made.

Sometimes, you just have to move to be happy.

Our philosophy is, we sleep wherever our camper is! And, if the rules ever change we are are currently at ... the house goes up for sale again, only this time, we'll take the camper and just disappear forever!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laws on property vary from place to place but in SOME areas the property line is the centerline of the road (in other places it is like the house side of the sidewalk or farther back even) IF the street is "your property" A good lawyer could likely have fun with that ordinance.. But since I'm not a lawyer that's all I can say (This is called stirring the pot. I'll leave now).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother lived in Floral Park NY on Long Island. You couldn't park your car on the street overnight and you couldn't park a pick-up within sight of the street.

It's called snob zoning.

* This post was edited 10/12/18 01:39pm by jplante4 *

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

This is probably exactly what they are trying to protect against. Can’t say I blame them, but it comes with unfortunate consequences. Seems like they could look the other way for some circumstances, but I guess that wouldn’t be fair.

We are very fortunate, no hoa to tell us what to do (specifically avoided them purchasing the house) and we can park the camper in the side yard. Not supposed to park it in the street, but as long as you don’t leave it there for a long time, you won’t get harassed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS