Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Another Generator Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another Generator Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking into generators and I'm in option overload. Somebody help me sort it out?

We're taking a trip in November, pretty much overnighting at Overnight Parking or Walmarts along the route. I'd like to run the TV for the kids for a couple hours at night and recharge the batteries and all our devices with the generator. I can't imagine I need anything too big for that.

So does it make sense to just get a big generator that can run the AC and everything for next summer when we want to do a similar kind of trip in the hotter weather?

Or get something 2000 Watt(ish) now that is parallel ready to add to for future boondocking adventures? Or is the parallel thing not really very practical?

Or just get something small and cheap now for a couple hours of recharging in the evening?

How do you all transport and store gas for boondocking? I don't have a truck bed to put it in, it would have to go in either the van with us or in the pass through storage? Any tips with that?

2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get the 2000 watt genset thinking ahead to get a second one matching first to tie together. Such as the Honda 2000I and later the companion 2000I.
I would suggest looking into the Predator series from Harbor Freight.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For just TV for the kids, fridge on propane, LED lights, water pump etc., why not a solar system? Sure, a backup generator but you won’t need it much for those uses. Install it and pretty much forget about recharging.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I would get the 2000 watt genset thinking ahead to get a second one matching first to tie together. Such as the Honda 2000I and later the companion 2000I.

Honda's EU2000i has been discontinued so remaining stock is now available at discount prices. However, I'd instead opt for the new Honda EU2200i which weighs the same, costs the same, but has a far larger 121 cc engine, and is far more capable than any of the competition in this class size. It's a great all around portable inverter genset but if the following season the OP wants to also run his A/C I would NOT buy a second EU2200i but instead equip the A/C with a Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit. Several forum members here have now done this and report this combination avoids the need for a second parallel genset OR a larger genset. [emoticon]

Jay Coe

West

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought 2 of these and made my own parallel kit for less than the price of one Honda 2000. If money isn't an object, get the Honda. I have a Suburban and carry my gas in it no problem. Been carrying gas in an SUV to our cabin for decades. Never been an issue.

Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been suggested that the Harbor Freight Predator inverter generator is made by Honda. If that is true, that is what I would buy.

If it is not true, then I would buy the Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tractor Supply is selling the new style Champion 2000 for $399.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion-power-equipment-2000w-ultralight-portable-inverter-generator?cm_vc=-10005

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i bought a champion duel fuel 3400 about a year ago. runs on gas or propane. very energy efficient and quiet. runs our 13k btu tt ac with no problems. during hurricane florence we spent some time in our tt during power outtage and ran a/c and watched tv. 1 gallon of gas ran generator 4.5 hours. it has wheels and i also use it around the house powering power tools etc in the yard.

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I would only buy an inverter generator for RV use. HF Predator or Honda or one of the many in between in price..

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

el.jefe wrote:

So does it make sense to just get a big generator that can run the AC and everything for next summer when we want to do a similar kind of trip in the hotter weather?
No, get a couple parallel-capable gens. As I say to most everyone, you probably won't bother running a generator for a/c very much - at least most boondockers I've seen don't. I do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another Generator Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS