cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cat C7 350 in a Winnebago Journey

DouglasBriggs
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at possibly buying what I think is a late build '04 Journey 39K with 3 slides and a Cat C7 350 with 45,000 mi. The reason I say late build '04 is because I can't find specs on an '04 that match this motorhome but can find '05's that match. The owner says it's an '04. I have read a lot about this motor and it seems the HEUI fuel injection sytem can be very problematic. I have also read where owners say don't worry about that motor if you like the coach buy it. We really like the looks and the floor plan on it. Is this one I should stay away from because of the motor ?
16 REPLIES 16

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thread (over on iRV2.com) describing this filter mod: HEUI Pump Failures

It can't prevent a problem with the HEUI pump, but it does protect the the fuel rail and injectors if a problem does occur with the pump--thus limiting the repair cost considerably. Although I've not had any problems at all myself, I'm certainly considering this for the C7 in my 2005 Vectra as extra protection.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. I purchased our Phaeton with 41k C7 CAT 350. I changed ALL the fluids, belts, shocks, gen maintenance, etc. No records from previous owners. I had CAT do the valve adjustment. CAT says at 30k, then again at 100K. I only use 5/40W Rotella and CAT filters. It's been a good engine for us, now with 64K.

Good luck ๐Ÿ˜‰
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

DouglasBriggs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the motorhome yet. We are going to look at it hopefully Saturday and I will see what it is then.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
DouglasBriggs wrote:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight. The GVW on a 2004 Journey 39k is only 27,900 so it would be nice to know how much cargo you can load in it. My 2001 Adventurer 35u(which I just sold)had a chart with it that had the unloaded weight on it. We owned that coach for over 12yrs and had very good luck with it. Very well built. Never had to replace anyplace but tires. Oh, did replace bedroom slide hoses but that was due to HWH defective hose ends.

Your spec placard, that's attached to the wall, right alongside the drivers seat, tells you all the specs for your coach. You say its GVWR is 27,900, well, it's actually 27,910. Your rear GAWR is or should be, 17,500. Your front GAWR is 10,410. So, together, you're looking at 27,910.

As for your UNLOADED VEHICLE WEIGHT, well, that's easy, go weigh it. Put what you normally carry in it in terms of fuel, water, tools, chairs, equipment, and any supplies that you'd normally travel with and go weigh it. You'll come up with a figure that you'll either subtract from the GVWR or, you'll be very close to that GVWR or, possibly be OVER the GVWR. I've been over on mine quite a few times. Still rolling down the road.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

DouglasBriggs
Explorer
Explorer
Unloaded Vehicle Weight. The GVW on a 2004 Journey 39k is only 27,900 so it would be nice to know how much cargo you can load in it. My 2001 Adventurer 35u(which I just sold)had a chart with it that had the unloaded weight on it. We owned that coach for over 12yrs and had very good luck with it. Very well built. Never had to replace anyplace but tires. Oh, did replace bedroom slide hoses but that was due to HWH defective hose ends.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
UVW?

Also, you have a PM
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

DouglasBriggs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I have read about changing oil way ahead of Cat's recommended change. I do realize there is a risk with any used motorhome so maybe just go with a floorplan we like. I also did some research and can't find the UVW of that 39K Journey we want to look at. Anybody have that info ?

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
What I've learned about the HUEI from old hands is change oil at around 6K miles rather than the CAT schedule of 11K. Seems like good insurance to me.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cat C7 350 and the HUEI pump went out. The injectors has to also be replaced because when the pump goes, it puts out metal shavings. Thank goodness our extended maintenance plan covered it. It went out at about 45K miles.

We take very good care of the coach bbut we do not know how well the previous owners cared for it.

That said, it has been a very good engine and I would not hesitate to purchase another one with that engine.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We have a Cat C7 350 in our 06 Tiffin Phaeton we bought new. We have 138,000 miles on her, all fulltiming miles. We had to replace the injector cup seals and a belt, but we've been trouble free most of those miles. Very dependable.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
DouglasBriggs wrote:
I am looking at possibly buying what I think is a late build '04 Journey 39K with 3 slides and a Cat C7 350 with 45,000 mi. The reason I say late build '04 is because I can't find specs on an '04 that match this motorhome but can find '05's that match. The owner says it's an '04. I have read a lot about this motor and it seems the HEUI fuel injection sytem can be very problematic. I have also read where owners say don't worry about that motor if you like the coach buy it. We really like the looks and the floor plan on it. Is this one I should stay away from because of the motor ?

DouglasBriggs,
I'd sure like to find all these folks that say stay away from a CAT engine due to it having the HEUI system. As I understand it, CAT isn't the only engine builder that's used it. But, in any case, the CAT engine, specifically the C-7, along with it's infamous HEUI system, is not and was not, only installed in motorhomes but, also cement trucks, fire trucks, over the road trucks, local delivery trucks and a whole lot more.

And guess what, a very, very large percentage of them are still running around today. As you can already read from the responders here, many have lots of miles and great years of travel with their CAT engine equipped coaches, including ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. We have at present, right at 84,000 miles on ours. I've done the fan bearing, serpentine tensioner bearings, idler bearings, water pump, "regulators" as CAT calls them, belts, and a few other items on that motor.

Your potential Winne Journey and our '04 Itasca Horizon, are pretty close in similarities. I could go on for pages but, I won't bore you unless you ask. It would be nice if you could obtain any form of maintenance records with that coach. But, if not, it's not the end of the world. Many of us have purchased these rolling Kleenex boxes with less than preferable supporting paperwork. For the most part, all of them are still rolling down the road.

There's lots to check out on that Winne. A very important first line of inspection, on a coach of that age is, the roof-to-gutter seam/seal/joint. It travels long the edge, for full length, on both sides. And, Winne and Itascas roofs are fiberglass and are only held in place by an adhesive caulk/sealant. After time, and a few zillion miles, that joint has tendency to start to come loose.

You can tell if it is by getting on a ladder, CAREFULLY, and, climb up to a point you can inspect that seam. You press on the fiberglass section of the roof, just above the caulk/adhesive. If you can press the fiberglass away from the sealant, NOT GOOD! You do this inspection, for the full length on both sides, noting any where it may be separated. To fix this situation, that's a whole 'nother set of pages here.

But, there's also lots of other areas to inspect. If you'd like help, just ask. There's tons of experience on this forum that are always more than willing to help. Good luck and, don't worry about the CAT, it's a great engine.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m sneaking up on 60K miles no major issues. Turbo boost sensor wiring problem.

Iโ€™ll be bold and say that most brands will give you problems if not used regularly and maintained properly.

These motors were designed to be used.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2008 National Pacifica with a C7 with 52000 miles going strong
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
150,000 on my 3126B with HEUI and no issues.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox