cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pets in the RV park

georam1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't usually post rants on forums or any social media for that matter but I'm trying to see if I'm just narrow minded or what.
We have been RVing for over 11 years now. We have been to many different places with our kids and with a dog. After the dog we had passed away we didn't replace it with one that I consider a traveling dog. We have a black lab that lives at the house and that's where he stays. He doesn't like riding in anything. So he doesn't travel with us. Anyway, on to my rant. If you want to take your dog with you when you go RVing so be it. If you have three dogs that are as big as cows and you want to go RVing then have at it. I personally don't want to be in an RV with three large dogs but if that's what makes you happy then more power to you. However, if you have three dogs at your RV site next to me and one of your unleashes free roaming dogs comes over to my RV site and starts growing at my wife then don't be surprised if I'm not standing there with my hatchet in hand to protect my wife. I don't know you nor do I know your dog. You may say that your dog doesn't bite but people get bit everyday by dogs that "do not bite". Also, if your dog barks constantly at every squirrel and person that walks by then you need to buy a muzzle or you need to train your dog to not bark. Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. I'm 51 years old and can never remember a time that we didn't have a dog. I guess my problem is more with the owners of the dogs than the dogs themselves. Is it to much to ask that people control and keep their dogs on a leash? Is that an unreasonably request in the world we live in today? Am I just being a narrow minded jerk? Your thought.
2018 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
2014 Chevy 2500HD 6.6l DMAX
32 REPLIES 32

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
georam1 wrote:
So Lantley I'm an extreme jerk for picking up the hatchet. Let me just informe you a little bit. I'm exmilitary, been in law enforcement for over 25 years. The hatchett was laying on the picknick table where I had used it to chop some fire wood that morning. I was in the RV. My wife was sitting under the awning reading. She wasn't looking out for the dog that invaded (our) camp site and was now 15ft away from her growing with it's teeth showing. I came out of the RV and grabbed the first thing that was close by to do whatever I needed to defend my wife and myself. If you want to get into a brawl with a dog and duke it out bare handed then more power to you Mr. Ninja. However, my training tells me that using something other than your hands to defend yourself against an animal keeps you from going to the ER to get stitches or a cast on your hand then be out of work for the next month. So if that makes me an extreme jerk then so be it. Maybe next time I'll just see if there is a dog whisperer around and see if he can just "talk" to the dog. Maybe if you're in the neighborhood you could do that for me.

x2 maybe some of the nay Sayers would feel differently if it was their wife being threatened.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing that can help is to learn to identify particular warning signs and behaviors.

Depending on the dog, grabbing a weapon and brandishing it could turn a warning into an attack. With a different dog it could scare them away. Learning how to read the body signals can help prevent an attack.

Usually, a firm but calm tone and standing still can prevent an attack. But knowing what type of aggression should be responded to by direct eye contact or avoiding eye contact will be the difference between an attack or not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dturm
OK, settle down
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

georam1
Explorer
Explorer
So Lantley I'm an extreme jerk for picking up the hatchet. Let me just informe you a little bit. I'm exmilitary, been in law enforcement for over 25 years. The hatchett was laying on the picknick table where I had used it to chop some fire wood that morning. I was in the RV. My wife was sitting under the awning reading. She wasn't looking out for the dog that invaded (our) camp site and was now 15ft away from her growing with it's teeth showing. I came out of the RV and grabbed the first thing that was close by to do whatever I needed to defend my wife and myself. If you want to get into a brawl with a dog and duke it out bare handed then more power to you Mr. Ninja. However, my training tells me that using something other than your hands to defend yourself against an animal keeps you from going to the ER to get stitches or a cast on your hand then be out of work for the next month. So if that makes me an extreme jerk then so be it. Maybe next time I'll just see if there is a dog whisperer around and see if he can just "talk" to the dog. Maybe if you're in the neighborhood you could do that for me.
2018 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
2014 Chevy 2500HD 6.6l DMAX

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You will always have people who think the rules don't apply to them. Not only do I have to clean up after my dogs I usually have to clean up after other inconsiderate owners. If I see them I offer to let them use my bucket and pooper scooper. Most don't use leashes at all. Same people let their kids go unattended to the docks where unattended children are prohibited.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I can see it! I can just see it! Loose dog running toward my wife! Wife freezes in place at the oncoming dog, barking as it approaches closer and closer. She's terrified. Yells at me.... HONEY GET THE HATCHET!

OK, so there I stand? um.... where is it dear! Do you remember where I put it!

It's over there! Go, quick! Get the hatchet!

Over where? you said, over there. It's not here! Are you sure it's really hear? Are you sure it didn't get moved somewhere else.

JUST GET THE DANG THING! GET IT NOW!

Yes dear! um.... is it even in the camper? It's really not here.

Dang you! Do I have do everything myself!

Careful Dutch..... Sounds like your not prepared.....
Camping isn't safe without your hatchet at the ready....Good Grief.

You would think there was at least one dog attack in the CG every night:S.
On the off nights when the wild dogs are put away. The armed bandits come through the CG. Be Prepared.
Why not just carry RBG'S and Claymore's that will make your site secure or a least everyone around will give you a wide berth, you might even have the RV park to yourself. :B

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
I can see it! I can just see it! Loose dog running toward my wife! Wife freezes in place at the oncoming dog, barking as it approaches closer and closer. She's terrified. Yells at me.... HONEY GET THE HATCHET!

Over where? you said, over there. It's not here! Are you sure it's really hear? Are you sure it didn't get moved somewhere else.

Careful Dutch..... Sounds like your not prepared.....
Camping isn't safe without your hatchet at the ready....Good Grief.

You would think there was at least one dog attack in the CG every night:S.
On the off nights when the wild dogs are put away. The armed bandits come through the CG. Be Prepared.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Am I just being a narrow minded jerk? Your thought.

For the most part, You make sense but the idea protecting your wife using a hatchet puts you in the extreme jerk category.
Who thinks of defending themselves with a with a hatchet? Daniel Boone? Paul Bunyan?
I don't think rational people have thoughts of using a hatchet on any living creature!

I agree. I wouldn't let it get that close. I would would stop it at a much safer distance. against the rules you say. So is a loose dangerous dog.
And BTW. You how do you think rational people kill chickens? Yes it is with a hatchet. And then, and then. they turn them loose and let em run. You have heard "like a chicken with it's head cut off"? it is a real statement. Amazingly. they run to the same place every time.

We are not talking about the food chain. We are talking about domesticated pets.
While chickens and hatchets maybe commonplace. Domestic animals and hatchets are not the norm.
Just because a dog is loose does not mean its OK to slaughter it like a chicken.
Every loose dog is not dangerous. Of course many of us are internet ninjas and like to our muscles when safely behind their keyboard.

I get it if a loose dog approaches me in a threatening matter, I will defend my self by any means necessary, however I don't need to be armed or have a weapon at my side just in case.
Hatchets are for chopping wood....OK and an occasional chicken :W

Thing is. I'm usually armed anyway. The world has turned into a not so pleasant place. Someone tried to walk into my house the other day, And I WAs HOME. Plus I live in a very nice neighborhood, with the police station down the block.
No not every loose dog is dangerous. Just Sat night one in the MH behind us got loose, and came to our site a great big friendly dog. DW grabbed the leash and took it back. But had it come in attack mode. It would have had to be carried back, and that has nothing to do with sitting behind a key board. like scouts. Some us are just prepared.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
Lantley wrote:

For the most part, You make sense but the idea protecting your wife using a hatchet puts you in the extreme jerk category.
Who thinks of defending themselves with a with a hatchet? Daniel Boone? Paul Bunyan?
I don't think rational people have thoughts of using a hatchet on any living creature!

I agree. I wouldn't let it get that close. I would would stop it at a much safer distance. against the rules you say. So is a loose dangerous dog.
And BTW. You how do you think rational people kill chickens? Yes it is with a hatchet. And then, and then. they turn them loose and let em run. You have heard "like a chicken with it's head cut off"? it is a real statement. Amazingly. they run to the same place every time.

We are not talking about the food chain. We are talking about domesticated pets.
While chickens and hatchets maybe commonplace. Domestic animals and hatchets are not the norm.
Just because a dog is loose does not mean its OK to slaughter it like a chicken.
Every loose dog is not dangerous. Of course many of us are internet ninjas and like to our muscles when safely behind their keyboard.

I get it if a loose dog approaches me in a threatening matter, I will defend my self by any means necessary, however I don't need to be armed or have a weapon at my side just in case.
Hatchets are for chopping wood....OK and an occasional chicken :W
Correct Trax,Splendide

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we do not take our dogs camping since we camp in the mountains and mountains have ticks and ticks have diseases. my dogs are house dogs and they go to the doggy motel when we go out of town. they enjoy the motel as it has air conditioning and get spoiled just like at home. plus the motel is at a vet clinic so if any thing goes wrong the vet is there to treat them. the motel also has on premises grooming and nail treatment with baths. it's more a resort then I go to. dogs are dogs and they all will bite. my mini doxie bit me once and so I would not doubt she would bite a stranger if needed. I've never seen her act aggressive to anyone but she still is a dog.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Yeah dogs can be a challenge .. but so can kids, old fart campers and many other things. You want to decrease stress in your life - get off your arse and go meet your neighbor b4 their is an issue! Nuff said?

Maybe they should get their head out of their "arse" and not cause the "stress" to others in the first place b4 there is an issue THEY caused!

Don't be rude and inconsiderate to others makes a "good" neighbor.

What do old fart campers do to you? Mind their own business, be quiet, clean up their mess and respect others...the tragedy of it all!

Nuff said?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

Correct Trax,Splendide