cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fast food prices

path1
Explorer
Explorer
On the road, we eat out more often. Last 6 mo I've noticed prices have really gone up. Just me or have you noticed this also?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
39 REPLIES 39

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding MSG: Having lived and done business in Asia for many years I can say with certainty that BILLIONS of Asians use MSG almost like salt and put it in nearly every dish they make. They have been using it safely for a very very long time. In fact most consider it a REQUIRED ingredient.

There is no controversy there about MSG and generally the Asian diet is quite a bit healthier than ours.

This MSG "fear" seems unique to North America. It is a natural substance that can be arguably said to be less harmful overall than Salt.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator wrote:
The use of MSG may not be as much of a threat as some may proclaim. Like so many other 'issues' i.e. peanut allergy, it may not be a problem for the majority of the population and for those it is, avoidance may be necessary. At times one needs to view 'the sky is falling' websites for what they are and depend more on legitimate research. Ocassionaly even the legitimate researchers may disagree but eventually a consensus is found.

Mayo Clinic March 2018 wrote:
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's "generally recognized as safe," but its use remains controversial. For this reason, when MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that it be listed on the label.

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions โ€” known as MSG symptom complex โ€” include:

Headache
Flushing
Sweating
Facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
Chest pain
Nausea
Weakness
However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.
I get those exact same reactions from a good chili pepper.
If MSG is what makes McDonalds French Fries irresistible, give me MSG. The bottom line is I like to eat and I like whatever I am eating to taste good.

The use of MSG may not be as much of a threat as some may proclaim. Like so many other 'issues' i.e. peanut allergy, it may not be a problem for the majority of the population and for those it is, avoidance may be necessary. At times one needs to view 'the sky is falling' websites for what they are and depend more on legitimate research. Ocassionaly even the legitimate researchers may disagree but eventually a consensus is found.

Mayo Clinic March 2018 wrote:
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's "generally recognized as safe," but its use remains controversial. For this reason, when MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that it be listed on the label.

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions โ€” known as MSG symptom complex โ€” include:

Headache
Flushing
Sweating
Facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
Chest pain
Nausea
Weakness
However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
More important than the ever escalating prices is that ALL, EACH and EVERY single piece of food from a fast food restaurant is riddled with MSG. Why do you think those fries taste so good!

THAT is the only reason it tastes good to the palette. It's not the food it's how much MSG they put in it. And it is a lot.

Monosodium glutamate E621, or MSG, is the salt form of the amino acid glutamate. MSG is added to almost all foods to enhance flavor.
All you have to do is google side effects of MSG.

If you thought that headache was just from the days frustrations, drowsy because you've been driving too long, asthma acting up, waking up with swollen feet hands and face and contributing it to your blood pressure/heart, etc? Think about what AND where you "ate" previous to experiencing it.

I eliminated all MSG in my diet. Home prepared and fast food consumption completely after experiencing the above. Which I too wrote off to other issues. Until my doctor suggested I start charting what I ate and when the symptoms occurred. the chart pointed to fast food consumption/MSG.

So now I am very sensitive to it and just one hamburger from any fast food restaurant gives me a migraine headache and my hands and feet swell up the next morning. That's how much is in just one sandwich. AND go to the grocery store and read the labels and try and find anything without MSG added to it.

"..responsible restaurants and food manufacturers no longer use MSG as a flavor enhancer, and have switched to natural seasonings instead...
Something you will 'not' find a fast food restaurant ever doing. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
same minimum wage person making it so you may very well still get mustard
Maybe. But at least I didn't wait in line for the privilege.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
same minimum wage person making it so you may very well still get mustard
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Kiosks. Quicker than waiting in line tapping my feet while someone spends what seems like hours deciding on what to order. Kiosks allow me to put in any special requests and know they actually got transmitted to the order prep area. If I say "no mustard" I get no mustard, not extra mustard. To me, they are a step forward, no backward.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
There are few places currently with a $15 minimum wage so that is a very unlikely cause for the higher prices.

What I have noticed is that prices vary dramatically across the country depending on where you are even among the same chain.

And this: I have been from Maryland to Arizona and then back and forth from Arizona to Indiana 3 times in the last 3 months. I have been to A LOT of fast food restaurants. And one thing is apparent everywhere: They are all hurting from a lack of enough employees. They ALL were advertising for workers. It didnt matter what city or state we have been in they all needed more workers.

In discussion with some of the managers I asked about the effect of requiring drug and background checks. Which has created an entire underemployed/unemployed cohort in our society. In almost every conversation I was told they have dropped those requirements.

The one thing you will see in Fast food places that IS related to the $15 minimum wage is the automated Order Kiosks at McDonalds. They are trying to get ahead of the game by eliminating or reducing the need for order takers. Do everyone a favor DO NOT USE THEM.

I think the rise in prices has more to do with want for bigger margins, low unemployment, higher wages (across the board not just in fast food resulting in more disposable income)and it is clearly what the market will bear.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely eat at fast food restaurants. When traveling we will stop at Subway and we usually split a footlong sandwich and have water with us - less than $10.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Mc D`s sausage biscuit and a $1.00 coffee the other day.
Sausage was like chewing on a rubber sponge and the once good Mickey`c coffee was so watered down I did not finish either. In the trash.
No more "value menu" for me.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
There are a multitude of $5 meals try DQ, Kentucky Fried, Taco Bell 5 layer burrito, chips & drink $3.50? Burger King 3.79 deal, McDonalds 2 for $5.
Guess I define expensive different.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

run100
Explorer
Explorer
In n Out Burger offers some of the best value for the money! The burgers are made fresh, fries made on-site and we've found their employees to be personable at all their locations. Interestingly, they've also been paying higher than average wages for many, many years.

Speaking of prices - Cable prices keep going up too and don't get me goin' about over-priced housing!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Down in town (~12 mi from us) the DW and myself eat a fast food lunch for around $8 total ($4 each).

That's right here in California's Silicon Valley!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Wendy's here locally has a 4 for 4 menu....your choice of a small sandwich, a 4 piece nugget, a small fries, and a small drink for 4 dollars.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA