cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying A Bunkhouse

rodwha
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve been contemplating full time RVing for potentially a few years. We have a 9 yr old daughter and she will need her own space. Many of the RVs within the weight ratings don’t have an actual bedroom but are bunkhouses. We certainly don’t require that much sleeping space and I’ve been pondering how difficult or feasible it would be to totally rework this area.

The outdoor kitchen is a must and I’ve been contemplating if there’s any reason why I could remove the section of the lower bunk beyond the wall that contains the outdoor kitchen. This would give a little space to become “the room.” And the area left covering the kitchen would become storage.

Next I’ve wondered about cutting out the additional bed area of the top bunk to open that “room” up. Thinking I could leave a small portion of the top bunk to create a shelf and below it up against the back wall a closet could be installed. Also figuring a bit of framing along the edge of the top bunk bracing it against the forward wall (opposite of the pantry) to give it rigidity.

Also thinking I could keep the exterior storage but shortening it to the depth of the closet I’d add.

This is one of my favored trailers:

54631_C23-_BF62-4480-_AC01-_E2_E4_A8_E6_D8_D7

Has anyone undertaken a project such as this?
8 REPLIES 8

rodwha
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks fellas! Wasn’t aware that the beds are likely structural.

There are a couple of trailers with a room that doesn’t require modifications. These come rather close to the max towable, which I didn’t want to do. And I won’t be buying a new truck when my truck has only about 73k on it.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
rodwha wrote:
I feel my daughter needs a place to be able to play with her toys out of the way. There are a few trailers that have a legitimate room but these would push the truck to its max weight allowance and I’d prefer not to do that.

Our motorhome had a bunkhouse, but it was really just 2 bunks in the hallway from the main living area to the back bedroom. Our kids were 8 and 6 when we bought the motorhome and they loved the bunks for about 2 years. Then they out grew them, literally. The bunks were narrow and they would hit the wall when they rolled over. We now have a TT with a true bunkhouse with 2 opposing slides, 4 bunks, 2 trundle beds and a half bath. They don't love sharing a room for 4+ months in the summer, but it is certainly better than the motorhome.

In your case, the bunks are full size beds, so no room issue, but your daughter will probably tire of being on her bed all the time.

As Y-Guy mentioned, Ultra-Light RVs are not designed for full time living. Those bunks most likely provide rigidity to the over camper. Removing one may cause problems. If you plan to full time, get a 1 ton truck and a TT or 5th wheel that meets your needs with a separate room for your daughter.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Y-Guy
A few thoughts. IMHO most "ultra light" trailers are not the type of RV I'd want to make to many changes to that might impact the structural integrity of the walls. I'd also had that I don't think those types of RVs lend themselves to full time use, a long summer maybe, but living for a long period of time I can see being problematic.

Toy Haulers are a plus for ease configuring for your needs, but do keep in mind that most all toy haulers have a heavy pin weight. Depending on your truck you can really top the scales, so do your homework. Without the weight in the back the unloaded pin weight is often more then your average truck is capable. of.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

rodwha
Explorer
Explorer
I feel my daughter needs a place to be able to play with her toys out of the way. There are a few trailers that have a legitimate room but these would push the truck to its max weight allowance and I’d prefer not to do that. I suppose an actual room also makes for a more personal space and would be nice to have as she gets a bit older.

I wouldn’t want to block any windows, especially if they were the emergency exit type. For the closet I’ve figured it could easily be an open design with no doors. Regardless there are multiple windows (2 along the back and 2 along the side) so it shouldn’t be too dark.

SWMBO has brought up the toy hauler option as well, but I’ve not been quite as happy with the couple I looked at. Maybe I should go back through them and really look at the options. Honestly I didn’t give them much thought.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How about a toy hauler? Use the garage to build a bedroom.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Could the "room" be the first bunk and the other be the sleeping area?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
So long as you don't have any "systems" stuff in the way of where you want to open things up (plumbing, ductwork, furnace, structural framing, etc.), I think what you're describing is more or less doable. The windows may be somewhat in the way (and blocking them off would make the room rather dungeon-like, I think). There would be a fair bit of work involved, of course.

In what way does your daughter need her own space? Might the bunk as it is, with the curtain closed, be sufficient? Maybe try that way first and if things are not working out at all you can figure out some renovations.

rodwha
Explorer
Explorer
The pic won’t post. There are various trailers I’m interested in but my favorite so far is the Keystone Outback 276UBH.