cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton for towing a TT

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about replacing my truck because it can't tow what we need. We are new to RVing and our Plan A as to find find a used TT thst we liked and that we could safely tow with my truck. Well the search isn't going well and we're going to plan B. Buying new tow vehicle that can pull a decent sized TT.

So I keep reading/hearing that the today's half ton trucks are much more robust that they were 10 years ago, claiming today's half tons are like yesterday's 3/4 ton. Is that true?

Below is a link to one of those articles.
https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-ton-three-quarter-ton/

Odds are we are going to get a TT that weighs (GVT)beweet 5500 to 7500 lbs so I'm wondering if what size truck to get and we'd like to hear your opinions.

Lastly if we decide upon a 5th wheel we'd definitely get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

What do most TT owners use to tow with?
35 REPLIES 35

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
Imagines are nowhere near in the same league as an AF. Yes they both may have some issues and thats common across the board. The structure on the AF is heads above the Imagine.
AF and Imagines use pretty much the sam insulation builds. Why doesn't AF tout 30-40 R values? Probably cause it would be lying IMO
Imagines use MDF and OSB wood. AF has zero MDF or OSB.
Very low CCC on the Imagines. Not so with AF's.
There's a reason the AF costs $10-15,000 more new.

DITTO.

ORV (Outdoors RV) is another good choice. They are a sister company to Northwood. Also built in LaGrande, OR.

I loved my AF truck camper, and the Nash I have.
Previously I had a DF (Desert Fox) toy hauler. (also built by Northwood)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Buy a 3/4 ton and you won't regret it. It doesn't limit your options if you decide in a few years that you want a bigger RV.

I went with a 3500HD dually since it will do everything the future holds.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
We liked the Granddesign Imagine 2500RL and 2600RB trailers...we are now reconsidering them now that we've agreed to replace the truck. I'm focusing my search on 3/4 and 1 tons....not cheap!!

The OP is now looking for a 3/4 ton truck. Now he doesn't have to work at finding the right 1/2 ton with the higher GVWR and RAWR options.

Gazz 1/2 ton vs gazz 3/4 ton not that much difference in price. Both are high however packages depend on the dealer lots in a big city vs small rural towns around here anyways.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Not every half ton will tow a 7k loaded TT. You still want the heavy duty towing packages, more powerful engines and shorter axle gears. Payload has not gone up from half tons 15 years ago as much as power/transmission gearing.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Imagines are nowhere near in the same league as an AF. Yes they both may have some issues and thats common across the board. The structure on the AF is heads above the Imagine.
AF and Imagines use pretty much the sam insulation builds. Why doesn't AF tout 30-40 R values? Probably cause it would be lying IMO
Imagines use MDF and OSB wood. AF has zero MDF or OSB.
Very low CCC on the Imagines. Not so with AF's.
There's a reason the AF costs $10-15,000 more new.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
A HD 3/4 ton vs a 1 ton SRW are pretty much identical including price wise. Even a 1 ton dually is about the same price. The difference between them is in payload. A 3/4 ton is rated to carry groceries a 1 ton SRW can handle most 5th wheels and a dually is rated for very heavy fifth wheels and equipment trailers. Personally I wouldn't buy a 3/4 ton for anything. For the size trailer you are thinking I'd buy a 1/2 ton unless I wanted something for future use, in which case I'd buy a 1 ton SRW diesel. My personal preference would be a low mileage used 1 ton SRW diesel over a new 1/2 ton.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How many times are you going to ask the same question a different way before you decide on a truck?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird .....The AF 25Y Looks nice a nice RV with a good floor plan. Have you looked at Granddesign Imagine RVs? They are well insulated with R7 in the walls, R30 in the floor and R40 in the roof.

You are correct I am interested in a well insulated trailer. We have relatives in northern Maine and in AZ and NV that we plan to visit, so we could see hot and cold temps. That said, odds are we won't camp too much in very cold weather, but we'd like to stay cool in the hot weather, so insulation will help with that.

We liked the Granddesign Imagine 2500RL and 2600RB trailers...we are now reconsidering them now that we've agreed to replace the truck. I'm focusing my search on 3/4 and 1 tons....not cheap!!

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would add one more thing to consider, will the truck be primarily for towing or will it be a daily driver used occasionally for towing. If daily driver, perhaps a 1500 optioned correctly would be ok, otherwise, get a 2500/3500 that will handle the towing fine.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
My answer is that it depends on what kind of RVer you are. Are you a weekend warrior that sticks to a 3-4 hr drive from where you live with the odd long trip? Get the 1/2 ton of your choice and make sure it is equipped to tow (trans cooler, tow package, proper rear axle ratio). If you are considering getting a bigger RV in a few years, planning on going full time or taking cross country trips, etc. then get the 3/4 ton of your choice.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
"We are looking at an AF 25Y it weighs 6500 dry weight. Still well within modern 1/2 ton limits. "

My view of Arctic Fox 25Y says Dry Weight 7140. That is dry, and they weigh them without any of the options. You will be adding air, awnings, thermal pane windows, etc. This unit will probably weigh close to 8000 pounds before you add your own stuff. A long haul cruise you will take lots of stuff for multiple climates and opportunities.

I reckon you will be close to 10,000 towed and back of the truck carried in the canopy. Yup, buy a bigger truck. Even consider a one ton.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One ton is best.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Based purely on many years of personal experience, towing various sizes/types of trailers, hauling hay and firewood, etc., I'm glad I have a 3/4 ton CTD.
My previous half ton was a great little truck, no doubt about it. It did the job just fine, until I towed a 7X14 enclosed cargo trailer from Billing to Sheridan WY, loaded up with ham radio gear. That poor little truck had a terrible time on the hills on I-90. When we got home from that trip, the half ton was put up for sale, and I began the search for a 3/4 ton CTD.
I will never go back to a half ton.
But, I would never buy a NEW 3/4 ton. They simply cost too much, when there are good used ones readily available for less than half the cost.
Oh, sure, many of the available used ones have "high miles", but that isn't critical with a diesel engine. My truck had a little over 400K on it when I bought it (for $6000). It starts good, runs good, drives good, and tows like a locomotive, and it has a 12K winch in the custom front bumper.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I breezed though the comments and as many have mentioned not all 1/2 tons are the same.
Understand payload as that will be the first shortfall and some 1/2 tons can be on the light side.

Look at all the fine print in the trucks towing guide and understand what you need to get what on the big chart in the back eith all the diffrent variables.