cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
New tires in the spring. Pull 15,000# fiver. Goodyear and Michelin have not lasted over 30,000 miles. Has anyone had better luck with another brand.
21 REPLIES 21

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
I don't understand when I hear about Michelins, or any other good truck tire, only lasting 30,000 miles. I've never gotten less than 60,000 miles from Michelins on any of my vehicles.

You would be lucky to get 30K if you were in PA. Here the state does a little trick to a lot of the secondary highways called tar and chip. After the asphalt is a few years old they spray tar, then spread a layer of limestone chips the size of a pea an inch thick. A thin layer of those sticks and for at least a year the surface is like 10 grit sandpaper. They also have a high traction asphalt mix used on curves, 500 yd aprons before stoplights, and hills, that is especially abrasive. Add to that the amount of hills amd curves.

On a side note you have to be super diligent come summer if you ride a bike, it can get a little hairy once tar and chip season starts. I dumped Harleys twice because of the gravel left behind after a tar and chip job.

Of course your going to get better mileage from tires in a state like FL with no hills and very few curves, along with no snow that requires traction materials to be dumped on ice in the winter. Tire wear varies with the region you're using them in.

I need tires right now after about 34K with Bridgestone Duravis that are a great tire. I could probably go another 12K-15K but know its time when I can feel the reduced tread depth in a hard rain. I've not ever had a tire last more than 30K-40K on a 4wd truck here in western / central PA with a medium aggressive on/off road tread. Michelins and Goodyear I have found to be the worst. Better riding and quieter but thats comes from having a soft compound.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

soje
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago,I went to COSTCO Tire to complain/wine/gripe about my Michelin LT 265-17 tires that were garbage and wearing out . Guy behind the counter listened to my complaints then looked up my info and said you have nearly 60,000 miles on them.
Seems like time flies when you are having fun.
With that, I put 4 new Michelins on the Dodge/Cummins.
60k miles most of which were pulling -no bad at all

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
One of my departed bil would use the same tire as I did on the same truck. We both drove chevy super Cheyenne for years as our personnel trucks. I could always run my trucks tires for 50k-60k back then . He was always lucky to get 30k miles out of the same tires.
We had completely different driving styles. He was on either hard on the gas or the brakes.
I never use a tire tire till the wear bars show mainly because of poor mud/snow/wet road traction and they seem to pick up objects ie; nails/glass/small sharp rocks/etc easily.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my 2008 F250. They were great. Aggressive tread ( and I NEEDED them once) but they were quiet like a highway tire. When I need to replace my current Michelins on my F350, I will be looking at them again.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like anything else, tires are a balance between cost, useful mileage and traction.
Like the old moniker "cheap, fast or good...pick 2", tires are the same.
Wears like iron = horrible traction in wet or snow. Excellent traction = softer rubber and or more aggressive tread which lowers fuel mileage and tread life. And low price generally equals the lowest common denominator between tire life and traction.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently still on the OEM tires on my 2014 F150 w/ HD Pkg. They are LT245/75R17 LRE BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA tires. Currently have 63K miles on them and there is still some good tread left.

Unfortunately, someone replied to a post of mine, saying BF Goodrich had changed this tire, and it isn't nearly the tire it was.

I may change them out next year, just because they will be 5 years old. Not sure what brand, or type I'll buy.

phillyg wrote:
I don't understand when I hear about Michelins, or any other good truck tire, only lasting 30,000 miles. I've never gotten less than 60,000 miles from Michelins on any of my vehicles.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Which Michelin and which Cooper tires are you talking about ?
Some folks may use a tire type/tread design thats not the best choice for the job.

I think the michelins had like a ms2 on them if that means anything. They came on my ram diesel in 2006 when it was new. Went back to the dealer & he made me a deal on new ones just like-em, one that I couldn't turn down. They weather checked as well. Went back a 2nd time. Same thing. Even my spare which is the same & has never been out the spare tire carrier, is all weather checked. The tread was a very hard tread. I don't know if I could have ever worn them out. The coopers I have now, say Discover atp road venture. So far I'm pretty happy with them. They also ride better.
Moose

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:

I've never got more than 40K miles out of michelin truck tires, and have yet to have a car that got more than 45K out of a set of tires. My truck tires tend to last around 30K miles a few sets have gone more, none less, doesn't depend much on the brand or what truck I have.

I suspect you and I have much different driving habits and types of driving.

At least discount tires honors the tread life warranty well and I usually get close to a 50% discount on my next set based on mfg warranted life and what I get.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
I have had 3 sets of michelins on my tow vehicles over my lifetime. None made it over 30,000 miles. They never wore much but everyone got weather checks in them so bad I replaced them. The tires I run now have about 60% tread left at 24,000 miles. The michelins were load range E a highway tread. The ones I have on now are cooper load range E kind of a radical all season tire. I will say I'm kind of hard on tires. To much speed & weight I guess. If I can get 40,000 out this set I'll be well satisfied.

Same here ,no more Michelins , Goodyears, and Firestones for me. IMO the most overrated, over priced tires on the market. Arguably some of the worst, the Firestone Transforce is the worst wearing tire I have ever had on a truck, Michelins were a close second .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Some folks may use a tire type/tread design thats not the best choice for the job.

I am guessing the Cooper AT3's by his description.

I am going to repeat more should be looking into the Sailun Terramax At's . I know anyone on here that has any experience with the Sailun S637's should know the quality of the Sailuns.

Its bit crazy ,and that includes me that I went out ,and spent double on a set of Toyo's. I won't make the same mistake twice. It will be the Sailuns on my Ram 3500 next time around.

Old habits die hard on here when it comes to tires, it took awhile, but some of us caught on to the quality ,and value of the Sailun tire brand .

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 sets of michelins on my tow vehicles over my lifetime. None made it over 30,000 miles. They never wore much but everyone got weather checks in them so bad I replaced them. The tires I run now have about 60% tread left at 24,000 miles. The michelins were load range E a highway tread. The ones I have on now are cooper load range E kind of a radical all season tire. I will say I'm kind of hard on tires. To much speed & weight I guess. If I can get 40,000 out this set I'll be well satisfied.
Moose

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I think your tire choice depends on whether your staying on pavement or if you spend anytime off highway at all. Also if Winter driving is something you find yourself involved in.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD