cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead batteries 2013 elipse

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 itasca Elipse. At the end of August i left it plugged in at my cottage as we expected to return in 4 days. We didn’t return and battery switched were left on. The gfi on the outdoor outlet popped and batteries discharged. My wife had become ill but is now on the road to recovery and we have returned. I reset the gfi and am plugged in. Is there any thing else i need to do or will the batteries recharge now? Your input as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Had AAA jump start me. Took three big packs to get her to fire. After 5 hour drive it is pretty much charged up. Hope i never have a bad mix of luck to discharge them like this again. Good news is myvwife is recovering well after total cardiac arrest from which i revived her. Don’t want to have that again either. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the update, good news all around.

Best to the little lady.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Had AAA jump start me. Took three big packs to get her to fire. After 5 hour drive it is pretty much charged up. Hope i never have a bad mix of luck to discharge them like this again. Good news is myvwife is recovering well after total cardiac arrest from which i revived her. Don’t want to have that again either. Thanks for the comments.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I always turn off batteries but this time my wife closed it and forgot. We were returning in 4 days until she had cardiac arrest. That delayed thinks. My gfi in garage popped and dead batteries are the rest of the story. I have a 30 amp but with the bigger rig i could not park close. Purchased 30 amp extension and now am plugged into it. Hope the batteries will charge enough in next 24 hrs to let me start it. Other wise AAA can provide the power. After my wife’s cardiac arrest and a stay at Mayo dead batteries seem small potatoes.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Discharged batteries sulfate and your's may have limited capacity left. Load testing can determine their condition. Find a good battery shop that will test in the rig for free. Weak batteries often cause other problems that may not seem to be related to the batteries. Even if your batteries are usable for your use it could be useful to know that they have lost say x% of their capacity.

The salesman switch turns off most loads and should be turned off when leaving the rig for longer times. Mine does not turn off the non res refer which will continue to run on propane. Your's should not disconnect the charger.

You should consider installing a 30A or 50A RV plug.

My rig is stored under cover so the solar doesn't help and I have no AC. So I installed a full disconnect switch on each bank so that the only drain is battery self discharge.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“So where exactly are my chassis batteries as opposed to coach?”

I suggest reading RV Electricity 101.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
So where exactly are my chassis batteries as opposed to coach? Another question: should my door battery switch be on or off to charge? This part of the coach is a mystery to me.

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
Your batteries are sealed so no need to check water. Use your power monitor to check the charge. I have changed the house batteries in my 2013 Ellipse because of not fully charging, there are 6 of them and they are heavy to lift.
Ken

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Which batteries? The converter will only charge the house battery. The engine battery needs a stand alone charger. If your house batteries are flat, its highly likely the converter wont bring them back. I would hook up a dedicated charger to kick start them. Also check water level before chsrging.