cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2019

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Things seem to be a bit slow lately, so Let's get the ball rolling for next year. Scuttlebutt has it that several folks are looking northward for springtime road trips.

I would like to say, if the planets align, and the Lord keeps us healthy, our new trailer (on order) is ready, that we are planning to cross the 49th parallel at Eastport, Idaho on, or about May 1.
We will be on a slow schedule, but hope to cross into Alaska in early to mid June.

So how about it? Who else is planning to be going that direction?
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…
138 REPLIES 138

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 15 miles outside of Anchorage, last week our mornings were 56-58 degrees, today 36 degrees, it's changing quickly.

That's great news! We took a drive up there one afternoon-what a beautiful area!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I live about 15 miles outside of Anchorage, last week our mornings were 56-58 degrees, today 36 degrees, it's changing quickly.

As for the fires, Southcentral AK is buried in smoke today due to strong winds over the weekend that spread two massive fires. On the Sterling Highway the north winds blew the fire across the highway towards Skilak Loop Road and closed a 20 mile section. A pilot car will lead cars through as the situation allows. Cooper Landing is prepared to evacuate. On the Parks Highway the wind blew a tree onto the power lines by the highway and lit the forest. Many houses and some businesses are destroyed. A 30 mile stretch between Trapper Creek and Willow was closed and reopens with a pilot car (50 cars with a 1 hour trip each way) as the fire/smoke allows safe passage. Extremely Smoky down here!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Anyone traveling to/in AK should pay close attention to the wildfire issues. Sterling Highway was closed but now has reopened and I believe the Parks highway is also having problems with smoke and fire. I found this site to be very helpful before and while we were there: https://akfireinfo.com/

We signed up for emails on all the roads we travel via 511.Alaska.gov and fund the emails extremely helpful.

I am also hearing of snow in BC, Fort Nelson to be exact.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
jacketsbum wrote:
swphotobug wrote:
When we stayed in Riley(mid-June) we saw Moose all the time, with calf. One day we put up the shades and there were a Mom and her calf 2' from our rig munching away.

We also had been warned about a Mom and her 2 calfs being very aggressive in protecting them and to avoid.

We were at Riley mid-June also, site A22. Maybe we were neighbors! We saw those moose too along with a mom and her triplets that hung around the entrance!

Ships passing in the night. I don't remember my site number but it was the last loop.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to/in AK should pay close attention to the wildfire issues. Sterling Highway was closed but now has reopened and I believe the Parks highway is also having problems with smoke and fire. I found this site to be very helpful before and while we were there: https://akfireinfo.com/

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
When we stayed in Riley(mid-June) we saw Moose all the time, with calf. One day we put up the shades and there were a Mom and her calf 2' from our rig munching away.

We also had been warned about a Mom and her 2 calfs being very aggressive in protecting them and to avoid.

We were at Riley mid June also, site A22. Maybe we were neighbors! We saw those moose too along with a mom and her triplets that hung around the entrance!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
It's definitely cold in Fairbanks, and moreso in Denali. Ioverlander is a great resource and points to a lot of spots, with downloading the app for this area alone.
Info for Denali is not always accurate: flush toilets/ running water at Savage Creek and Riley campgrounds. Didn't see them elsewhere. Eilsen and Entrance visitor centers and Mercantile also. Everything costs more here, but gas is more reasonable in Healy, to the north about 15 minutes. We also saw a moose cross the road there!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
2/3rds of the way through August, and there's snow warnings in between Fort Nelson and Faro. Plug that into your trip schedule.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Yukon/Whitehorse in 2016. Just pulled out our old maps and information books as we are starting to plan for this summer 2020. Not sure the month we are going yet and as long as health holds up, we should make it happen.
Rick
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

repeach
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
We drove it last week. Thought it very rough until you get south of Iskut, then road improves.

Thank you. Last time we drove it (2016), it was in great shape. Last week a local told me it was terrible. BCDOT says construction, but that was in July.
Bob and Angel Peach
2018 Jayco Seneca Super C
2013 GMC Sierra

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it last week. Thought it very rough until you get south of Iskut, then road improves.

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it in July. No problems at all. Several bear sightings, beautiful scenery. Little traffic. Long stretches between facilities. Go for it!!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

repeach
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in Alaska since June 15. We are fixing to head back to the lower 48. I've heard some bad reports on the Cassiar. Has anyone recently traveled south on the Cassiar and could give a road report?
Bob and Angel Peach
2018 Jayco Seneca Super C
2013 GMC Sierra