cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been desert riding yet?

dedmiston
We don't usually start riding until November, but a buddy of mine got a new Can Am x3 and wanted to go break it in. The weather report was pretty good for a September weekend, so we took a chance and went out.

The weather and the riding couldn't have been more perfect. We camped just north of Johannesburg and covered a ton of ground. We rode enough that my buddy completed his 10 hour break-in and moved up from the green key ("training wheels") to the gray sport key. Yay!

We hardly saw anyone at all. There was a group of two other riders on the trail and we saw a small family and a single rider out at the Husky Monument. I've never seen it so empty.

So has anyone else here started up their desert camping season yet? Where have you gone out so far?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
7 REPLIES 7

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Our race is always first weekend of October in Ridgecrest and we go out the weekend before to start setting up so I'd say that's my first trip of the season. Weather can be all over the map from hot sunny windy to rain (two years ago it POURED on us Sunday, course was a swamp).

This year rain Saturday night was epic, no wind, temp was 77 when I left Ridgecrest yesterday at 1:00.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Jawbone has some food too!

http://www.jawbonecanyonstore.com/
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
1st dune trip is October 19th!!!!!!
New motor with some added "fun factor".
Can't wait!!!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
The Joint is cool. Quite the history and still in the family.

I've found early October is usually good time to ride in that area. Warm days and evenings, but not hot, cold or uncomfortable.

We should be out there last weekend in October, soonest we can go.

dedmiston
TRIPLE8 wrote:
We were out off of 20 mule team rd. as well. Weather was good and the riding was great. Went over to the town of Randsburg and it was for the most part empty.

We got a wild hair to ride into Randsburg to see if we could get some dinner. I knew the White House and the General Store would be closed, but I thought maybe the pizza place would be open. Nope. The only thing open was The Joint, so we went in there to get a beer. It turned out they had really good burritos that a local woman had made. They heated up the burritos and we ate like kings (ghetto kings).

That was a new twist on Randsburg for us.

Earlier in the day we stopped by Astro Burger down at Kramer Junction and they were closed. There was a good place across the street though, called The Roadhouse. Not bad lunch. I wouldn't ride all the way down there just to hit The Roadhouse, but the food was pretty good.

I'm glad you had a good time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
We were out off of 20 mule team rd. as well. Weather was good and the riding was great. Went over to the town of Randsburg and it was for the most part empty.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Thats how it was for Memorial weekend at cuddeback, great weather and dead out. We are heading out Friday, unfortunately this year we won’t be going to the gem show. It was a toss up between Trona or Dumont for Halloween weekend, girls voted Dumont.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker