cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning?

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a new/used 12 foot bag awning. When we bought our Coleman the previous owner didn't lower one end and after 3 days of rain (Oregon coast...Does it rain there ha ha) it collapsed. He said it was fixed. All he did was repair the fabric but tossed most of the hardware. The cheapest I have found was around $350. Anybody know of a cheaper price or have a used one they want to get rid of?
Thanks
Ray
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
9 REPLIES 9

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
The previous owner repaired the fabric but did not replace the hardware that was damaged. The parts that are missing would cost more to replace than buying a new one. So no repairing this one.

Jayco style awning poles and hardware can be replaced by any poles and rigging you can find at hardware stores. My rain/kids episode bent the main header bar. I looked around property and found a heavier gauge bar. Drilled 3 holes and then boom had a new hardware setup.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
The previous owner repaired the fabric but did not replace the hardware that was damaged. The parts that are missing would cost more to replace than buying a new one. So no repairing this one.

I've owned several popups and although we did make use of the bag awning that came with each one I found them generally more trouble than they're worth for any benefit gained and wouldn't spend the $$$ to replace one that had been damaged. These days we use an inexpensive Ozark Trail 10' x 10' canopy like this sold at WalMart here in Canada and the US.

Here in Canada it sells for $88 Cdn and comes with one attachable fabric wall so I bought 4 inexpensive 8' x 6' white tarps to make up two separate "walls" to enclose the other 3 sides when the weather is particularly cold and/or windy, hanging them from the frame using nylon cable ties. One person can erect it but with two it's a really easy task that takes only a couple of minutes and the result is FAR more stable than any bag awning. Here's a couple of pics of a test setup on our deck ...

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I used my sailcloth sticher to repair my awning. First repair two years ago from epic snowfall that slid off the steel roof of barn. Next was lazy camping single dad and three kids. Exhausted from work and left it out during heavy rain. Down it went and ripped from bag and bead rubber.
$350 saved twice already.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Dometic bag awning on ours. After an unfortunate rain/wind event from a couple of years ago, ours was destroyed. I didn't want to spend $250+ on a new one, so we ended up going with a pop-up canopy/awning from Academy for under $100
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely used ours. An EZ-UP or two was what we used.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you see the shipping for the $265 awning. 99 bucks!
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.....didn't realize they were that expensive. Ebay pop up awnings
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Most are $350. I have seen $270 for bag and fabric and no hardware.