All above are sold, no longer own an RV
32 REPLIES 32

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be all new ,what ever that means and designed 'in house' .

que up the "never buy first year anything crowd"
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
So just kinda getting back to topic... looking forward in seeing a test from TFL up the Ike. Iโ€™m glad that some truck makers are giving even more variety on engine choices. Granted I need more then a half ton truck but if I ever downsized campers I would go back to one. Is this engine all new then? Or any variations running around across seas...?
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
so the ford 6.0 wasn't really fords issue?

True Ford did not build the 6.0 but what they did do is tune it to be competitive with Dodge and Chevy. There are scores of International 6.0L running around in other applications with factory tuning and none of them have had any where near the issues as Ford's have had.

This is what led to the bad feeling between International and Ford.
And don't forget the bad blood between Ford and Firestone over the early Ford Explorer.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The early Cummins had issues as well killer dow pin and problems with 5th gear in the transmission."

Both were taken care of by the original owner and it's still VERY dependable at 400k. So much so I sold it to a personal friends Son. He loves it!

My vice president's 2005 F350 6.0 has 370,000 on it and runs like a top. Driven every day around 200 miles. He still loves it too. BTW, still has factory heads,gaskets and bolts.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Your name on the tailgate, you own the issue was my point ,every other comment is just a excuse.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:

True Ford did not build the 6.0 but what they did do is tune it to be competitive with Dodge and Chevy. There are scores of International 6.0L running around in other applications with factory tuning and none of them have had any where near the issues as Ford's have had.

This is what led to the bad feeling between International and Ford.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
The early Cummins had issues as well killer dow pin and problems with 5th gear in the transmission.

You can't blame the tranny issue on Cummins. Chris
So very true, they were both issues of Dodge trucks from that vintage. Just like Chevrolet early Duramax had injector issues, as well as Allison issues if you parked on a steep hill.

My point being they all have had a few growing pains no brand immune.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
The early Cummins had issues as well killer dow pin and problems with 5th gear in the transmission.

You can't blame the tranny issue on Cummins. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
To be fair the transmission issue was not a Cummins problem. They did not build or design the 5spd Getrag.

The KDP did kill a few motors but most just needed a new front timing cover case, some were "fixed" by owners with JB weld and others like me spent the 2 hours it takes and Tabbed the pin with a scrap peice of metal before it moved.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The early Cummins had issues as well killer dow pin and problems with 5th gear in the transmission."

Both were taken care of by the original owner and it's still VERY dependable at 400k. So much so I sold it to a personal friends Son. He loves it!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
ib516 wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
Look forward to seeing some towing tests on this one.

I look forward to seeing if this (and the Ford baby diesel) can prove themselves reliable and durable over the long run. I'm going to say the Ram EcoDiesel is......what I'd call so-so for those categories. Not a disaster by any stretch, but enough issues I don't think I'd buy one. Diesels aren't the bulletproof workhorses they once were IMHO. I think they are getting better than the choked up junk they passed onto consumers in 2008 - 2010 (no matter the brand), but I still think today's diesels, although very powerful, don't measure up to the durability and longevity of the 5.9L Cummins and 7.3L Powerstroke in their best iterations.

The Cummins 6B had 5 years of refinements in tractors before Dodge ever put it in a truck in 1989. I doubt any engine now or in the future will have the long term "testing" like that before being sold in a truck. Not saying other engies aren't like it but the 6B(T) was designed to run at full throttle under full load for hours on end usually only being shut down for a fuel and preventive maintenance.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
Look forward to seeing some towing tests on this one.

I look forward to seeing if this (and the Ford baby diesel) can prove themselves reliable and durable over the long run. I'm going to say the Ram EcoDiesel is......what I'd call so-so for those categories. Not a disaster by any stretch, but enough issues I don't think I'd buy one. Diesels aren't the bulletproof workhorses they once were IMHO. I think they are getting better than the choked up junk they passed onto consumers in 2008 - 2010 (no matter the brand), but I still think today's diesels, although very powerful, don't measure up to the durability and longevity of the 5.9L Cummins and 7.3L Powerstroke in their best iterations.

The Cummins 6B had 5 years of refinements in tractors before Dodge ever put it in a truck in 1989. I doubt any engine now or in the future will have the long term "testing" like that before being sold in a truck. Not saying other engies aren't like it but the 6B(T) was designed to run at full throttle under full load for hours on end usually only being shut down for a fuel and preventive maintenance.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd