cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGS Coming On By Itself

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
RV is sitting at home plugged in! Went outside this morning and heard the genny starting up. Went to breaker box to make sure nothing had tripped, all as should be. My setting on the Magnum Energy system was set to enable. Just don't understand why it would come on by itself ? HELPAGS Coming On By Itself
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰
19 REPLIES 19

gunsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Entegra Emblem that came with a Magnum AGS. It is what I now call the "Zombie Generator Start" because it kept starting the generator when stored no matter what I did. Had it not enabled, had all the switches (battery voltage, interior temp, etc.) set to off. I had the coach battery disconnect disconnected but it didn't matter. I'd come back after a day and it would be running. So I finally removed all the wires from it until I could get it in to service. They tried everything to convince themselves that I wasn't crazy or stupid and ultimately were told by Magnum that it was a defective unit so I got it replaced. If you google it some you will see that there are some units that are zombie units. Not sure how common but it drove me crazy...

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
It says AGS in the title of the post and it says AGS in the OP's very first post. Your own reply to Larry cad mentions the AGS as well.
I thought that's what we were talking about the whole time.
I can't stand it.
It's not worth trying to be helpful.
OP, I hope you got this figured out. I haven't seen a response.

Am scheduled for visit to Newmar in December, have put it on the list for them to check out. Thanks for the insight. Hope it not a setting i'm missing. Never had this problem with any of my previous Newmars !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
My unit is 50amp 2007 Fleetwood Revolution and is plugged into 30 amp when stored in three sided car port. I have gone out and hear just a clicking noise. Genset appears that the generator was trying to start. I hit stop and it ceases. It happened several times last winter and then it quit doing it. A week ago it did it once and Has not repeated since. The generator works fine when I start it manually.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It says AGS in the title of the post and it says AGS in the OP's very first post. Your own reply to Larry cad mentions the AGS as well.
I thought that's what we were talking about the whole time.
I can't stand it.
It's not worth trying to be helpful.
OP, I hope you got this figured out. I haven't seen a response.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
larry cad wrote:
The magnum also has a sensor for RV temperature inside. It may be that the inside temp rose too high and the genny came on. The theory is that a temp rise causes the genny to start which starts the A/C if it is turned on.

Explain which model you are talking about. I know of NO Magnum and its optional AGS module that has an Interior temp sensor connected to it. There are AC systems that a Magnum can COMMUNICATE with to start the Genset when the AC system calls for cool. But, you have to program that and engage the AGS system to be ON. AND, If you are plugged into Shore Power, that disengages the Temp control system from starting the Genset unless you lose Shore Power. Doug

Every Magnum AGS I've ever seen has an input for a temp sensor. The last one I installed came with the temp sensor in the box. They will work with pretty much every Magnum inverter ever made. I'll not list all the models.

OK, That is called a BTS Temp sensor. BATTERY TEMP SENSOR. Has nothing to do with the interior AC control system. You attach that sensor to a Coach battery post for Temp monitor charging. If you installed that BTS inside the RV, I suggest you go back and READ the directions. Doug

PS, maybe more explanation is needed
1. The Inverter/Charger does NOT have Roof AC AGS connections or capability. It does have a network plug for the optional AGS module
2. The 2 Magnum separate AGS modules do have the capability to use interior RV temp to start the genset with or without a Magnum Inverter/Charger.
3. BUT, for this capability, you MUST use the Magnum AGS optional kits.
4. The Magnum remote panel has the Interior temp sensor in the remote switch. So, it must be installed in a location where it will correctly sense the interior temp of the RV, which most OEM's do NOT install the remote switch where it is best located for interior temp sensing.

I know the d*** difference between a BTS and a temperature sensor for ambient temperature! Magnum AGS DO have a connection for a temperature sensor. If you will note in the AGS manual section 1.0 describes rising temperature as something that can trigger the generator to start to power an air conditioner. Section 2.4.1 describes the remote temperature sensor cable and where to connect it. Section 4.3.2 describes how the ready LED is solid when the temp sensor is connected and flashes when it is not.

I guess you never read the manual.

NO, YOU said MAGNUM, NOT, MAGNUM AGS! That is why I clarified my remarks to make sure we were talking about the MAGNUM AGS. Yes, if you are talking about the Magnum AGS that comes with the remote inside temp sensor, you are correct. You should have clarified your statement to mean when you are working with a Magnum AGS system. Doug

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
larry cad wrote:
The magnum also has a sensor for RV temperature inside. It may be that the inside temp rose too high and the genny came on. The theory is that a temp rise causes the genny to start which starts the A/C if it is turned on.

Explain which model you are talking about. I know of NO Magnum and its optional AGS module that has an Interior temp sensor connected to it. There are AC systems that a Magnum can COMMUNICATE with to start the Genset when the AC system calls for cool. But, you have to program that and engage the AGS system to be ON. AND, If you are plugged into Shore Power, that disengages the Temp control system from starting the Genset unless you lose Shore Power. Doug

Every Magnum AGS I've ever seen has an input for a temp sensor. The last one I installed came with the temp sensor in the box. They will work with pretty much every Magnum inverter ever made. I'll not list all the models.

OK, That is called a BTS Temp sensor. BATTERY TEMP SENSOR. Has nothing to do with the interior AC control system. You attach that sensor to a Coach battery post for Temp monitor charging. If you installed that BTS inside the RV, I suggest you go back and READ the directions. Doug

1. The Inverter/Charger does NOT have Roof AC AGS connections or capability. It does have a network plug for the optional AGS module
2. The 2 Magnum separate AGS modules do have the capability to use interior RV temp to start the genset with or without a Magnum Inverter/Charger.
4. The Magnum remote panel has the Interior temp sensor in the remote switch. So, it must be installed in a location where it will correctly sense the interior temp of the RV, which most OEM's do NOT install the remote switch where it is best located for interior temp sensing.

I know the d*** difference between a BTS and a temperature sensor for ambient temperature! Magnum AGS DO have a connection for a temperature sensor. If you will note in the AGS manual section 1.0 describes rising temperature as something that can trigger the generator to start to power an air conditioner. Section 2.4.1 describes the remote temperature sensor cable and where to connect it. Section 4.3.2 describes how the ready LED is solid when the temp sensor is connected and flashes when it is not.

I guess you never read the manual.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Louandsal wrote:
My coach was plugged into 50 amp. I had drained all the tanks including the hot water tank as I wouldnโ€™t be traveling for a few months. I shut off the breakers for the refrigerator and the hot water tank. One day I turned on the air conditioner while I was cleaning the coach. The generator immediately came on also even while still being plugged into 50 amp. For a couple days I was googling all over the internet trying to find out why the generator came on. Finally, found the answer. As soon as I turned the hot water heater breaker back on, the generator never started up again on its own while being plugged in. Have no idea why, but that was the solution to my problem

Ah Ha. I will bet you have a Intellitec or PCS built in EMS system. Usually, the HW breaker is the 120 power supply breaker to the EMS control board. When you turned that breaker OFF, the system lost its Shore Power signal and then turned on the Genset. Which EMS system do you have? Doug

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a cat? Does your neighborhood have cats or squirrels or possums?

If so, jamb a toothpick under the outside start switch.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Louandsal
Explorer
Explorer
My coach was plugged into 50 amp. I had drained all the tanks including the hot water tank as I wouldnโ€™t be traveling for a few months. I shut off the breakers for the refrigerator and the hot water tank. One day I turned on the air conditioner while I was cleaning the coach. The generator immediately came on also even while still being plugged into 50 amp. For a couple days I was googling all over the internet trying to find out why the generator came on. Finally, found the answer. As soon as I turned the hot water heater breaker back on, the generator never started up again on its own while being plugged in. Have no idea why, but that was the solution to my problem

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dalsn1 wrote:
Had that happen, Magnum tech told be to clean the wiring harnesses plugs at the generator. Never happened again

IF you have the Onan Genset. As the OP above stated. Disconnect the remote quick connect at the Genset. LOOK at the small pins that plug together. They usually have corrosion in that plug and if moist will cause the Genset to start. Remember, the Start and Stop of most Gensets is a closing of a ground between 2 pins. So, if corroded or moist that is enough to start a Run sequence. Doug

PS, in very rare cases, a Onan Genset that got extremely wet from rain sitting still, enough water got into the control housing and was enough to start the Genset

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SPRING STREET wrote:
RV is sitting at home plugged in! Went outside this morning and heard the genny starting up. Went to breaker box to make sure nothing had tripped, all as should be. My setting on the Magnum Energy system was set to enable. Just don't understand why it would come on by itself ? HELPAGS Coming On By Itself

From the Magnum manual for BOTH Magnum AGS modules. Doug

Auto start is locked out when utility power is present

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
larry cad wrote:

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
larry cad wrote:

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
SPRING STREET wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
did it start based on temperature?
Do you have a periodic exercise run programmed in?
Do you have it programmed to start as a load shave feature. (I forget what Magnum calls that.) Did a mouse chew thru some wires and make it short out somewhere?
Do you have it programmed to start at a certain time?
It's quite possible that you have accidentally programmed one or more of these reasons for it to start.

If the rv was plugged into it's 50 amp service wouldn't that make all your points null ? Except for the mouse theory !

I don't see why it would. Plugged into shore power or not the programming could still be set up to make the gen start under various conditions. Not that you'd want to program it that way but it could have been done accidentally.