cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worst case of disrespect I've every seen in a campground!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Currently camped at General Butler State Park in Kentucky. Staying till Monday. The week-enders pulled all pulled out and were gone by 1:00 pm ish. We are on campsite 69.

Campsite 70 is beside us. It was occupied by a small group of tent campers, appeared to be 2 middle aged women, perhaps grandkids with them. I wasn't sure of all the family connections.

Because we were playing with our new camper, I didn't pay too much attention to them, although the 2 women were friendly, they weren't roudy, lights out with the rest of the campground crowd. Everyone packed up quietly and left peacefully. A really nice experience with surrounding campsite occupants.

Then, a little bit ago, my wife pointed something out to me. She said, look at that. And I thought, OH MY! What kind of absolute PIGS would do something like this and completely DISRESPECT the State Park, fellow campers who will follow, and were so stupid to vandalize a campsite like this!

When the Park Service lady went by collecting the reservation stickers off the campsite postes, I flagged her down and pointed it out. She said she had already seen it and it's already been reported to the State Park service. She also said, they were writing on the ground last night and she told them to stop. Apparently, they didn't.

I went over to the tree and tried to figure out what they used. It's NOT chalk. It look like spray paint, but maybe food colored shaving cream. Whatever it is, it permanently stains.

The Park Lady said the Park Service will probably track down who the registered occupant was and purse charges. I hope they do!

THIS IS NOT CHALK:

PIGS, absolute disrespectful PIGS!
31 REPLIES 31

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
rob-bill - So true and well said.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rob-bill
Explorer
Explorer
We worked camped for a while a few years ago Most campers & RVers try to leave the site better than they found it put trash in cans or carried it with them.
But I am never surprised by what some will do and that reflects on all of us that camp.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
What sidewalk chalk do you know that writes on nature? last I checked a trailer pad or a sidewalk was not natural?

Not sure why it's so hard to understand that not everyone wants to see little Mary's drawings all over the campground or having to deal with the mess it makes. Surely there are other avenues for your kids to enjoy themselves without affecting everyone else's enjoyment.

Because they have NO regard for anybody but themselves!

And refuse to clean up after themselves for the next person.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebby14 wrote:
What sidewalk chalk do you know that writes on nature? last I checked a trailer pad or a sidewalk was not natural?

Not sure why it's so hard to understand that not everyone wants to see little Mary's drawings all over the campground or having to deal with the mess it makes. Surely there are other avenues for your kids to enjoy themselves without affecting everyone else's enjoyment.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
I got a first hand glimpse of how harmless children's chalk can be. We checked into our site at a state park. The pad, road and picnic area was completely covered in kid chalk drawings. Other than the fact it looked like we had checked into gang central, no problem.
Took the dogs out for their business, came back inside, big problem. Had to wash the dogs, much to their chagrin. Next, it took hours to wash all the tracks out of the carpet, the furniture, and everything else they stepped on. Then it became my job to wash down the site. Then we had to wait until the mud that created to dry before we could begin our recreation. Keep you chalk at home!!

x2...Keep it at home or clean up every bit of it before you leave your site.

Campground needs to start charging the previous occupant to clean any mess up before the next person arrives.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I got a first hand glimpse of how harmless children's chalk can be. We checked into our site at a state park. The pad, road and picnic area was completely covered in kid chalk drawings. Other than the fact it looked like we had checked into gang central, no problem.
Took the dogs out for their business, came back inside, big problem. Had to wash the dogs, much to their chagrin. Next, it took hours to wash all the tracks out of the carpet, the furniture, and everything else they stepped on. Then it became my job to wash down the site. Then we had to wait until the mud that created to dry before we could begin our recreation. Keep you chalk at home!!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not that kids playing with sidewalk chalk is bad. It's that there is a place for it and that place is not out in nature. Let them play all they want with it on their own driveways where it can be appreciated by those who love them. Let the rest of the world enjoy nature without vandalism.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Believe it or not they do make a washable spray chalk that dissolves when exposed to water/rain - lets hope they used that. Regardless - what they did is over the top.

have it at home for my kids. they love it. would never use it on public property though since it takes a few rains to go away. That said people love to get their panties in a bunch. I wouldn't do that to a site but the people complaining about some kids playing with sidewalk chalk.... really? do you have a collection of balls that you horde from when they go over the fence too?

near every time I camp I clean others garbage. site is always left nice. I have picked up everything under the son and been upset that it was left. not once have I ever thought OH NO children's art work in chalk the world is ending. Now something elicit or hateful I get it. Not once have I seen that in a campground.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Believe it or not they do make a washable spray chalk that dissolves when exposed to water/rain - lets hope they used that. Regardless - what they did is over the top.

I hope that's what they used. But it's still vandalism.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
I hope they track them down, fine them and block them from all Ky state parks.

Me too.

I do believe that is paint.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Yup, pretty disgusting. Just like when Ryan Andersen and family defaced Corona Arch.

Enough people don't know about that! I will never purchase any Andersen product due to his vandalism.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, pretty disgusting. Just like when Ryan Andersen and family defaced Corona Arch.