cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water heater propane not igniting and staying kit

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
I posted here, because toyhaulers dry camp more often than hooking up and using the electrical side of our heater.

There is propane running through the line and out the flame tube. I have no ignition and shuts off after a few seconds. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The hot water heater is still under factory warranty.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups
30 REPLIES 30

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Burn mark it is. Thanks everyone for your help.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Also check your propane tank it might be almost empty as well?

It's not. I switched over to my full tank for an extra measure

I did get in contact with our dealer. They said they've had issues with the control panel. Pull it off and check for burn marks. If that's the case, might have a problem solved.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Also check your propane tank it might be almost empty as well?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
After a hard wind driven rain, water can blow inside the heater through the vents and cause a short between the electrode and ground. It does not take much. It will throw the DSI fault LED on and require a reset.

He's in Southern California. I don't think we've ever had a hard wind driven rain here, at least not in recent years.

LOL.....no rain at all?

Towing in even a light rain turns into a hard wind driven rain as soon as you hit about 30 MPH, even in southern CA. The steel door on water heaters is not exactly water tight as well, and it does not take much moisture to ground out the electrode for the dsi. It fixes itself once you do get it to fire regardless if it's moisture.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
I can hear the igniter click and smell propane. I was able to light with a bic lighter. It shuts off after a few seconds. I only get it to flow the propane after I run water a few seconds, almost sensing low water to reheat again.

First, it is not sensing "low water", it is sensing COLD water !

Second, I have been fighting with a water heater that works "most of the time". Mine has a light by the power switch inside. If the light is on, the burner did not re-light. (In my case, if I cycle the power switch inside it will light the burner the second time.)

If you can see the sparker sparking and you smell gas you should be more than half way there !

These water heaters have MULTIPLE safety systems built in. The primary is the 2 thermostatic switches. They are usually behind a piece of sticky foam tape. Remove the switches and clean the face of the switches with a Scotch-Brite. Also clean the side of the tank that these switches are touching. Because you are getting propane these are must likely working properly.

There is also a "flame sensor" built in to the end of the sparker. It is does not "sense" a flame within 10-15 seconds after turning on the gas, it will turn it off and light the fault light inside.

I understand it senses cold. I have to drain the hot side for it to sense new water in the tank. That's when it'll click and release propane, but not ignite.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
After a hard wind driven rain, water can blow inside the heater through the vents and cause a short between the electrode and ground. It does not take much. It will throw the DSI fault LED on and require a reset.

He's in Southern California. I don't think we've ever had a hard wind driven rain here, at least not in recent years.

Actually I'm in Sintral Cali.:)
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Oops
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

dedmiston
Ralph Cramden wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
I can hear the igniter click and smell propane. I was able to light with a bic lighter. It shuts off after a few seconds. I only get it to flow the propane after I run water a few seconds, almost sensing low water to reheat again.

First, it is not sensing "low water", it is sensing COLD water !

Second, I have been fighting with a water heater that works "most of the time". Mine has a light by the power switch inside. If the light is on, the burner did not re-light. (In my case, if I cycle the power switch inside it will light the burner the second time.)

If you can see the sparker sparking and you smell gas you should be more than half way there !

These water heaters have MULTIPLE safety systems built in. The primary is the 2 thermostatic switches. They are usually behind a piece of sticky foam tape. Remove the switches and clean the face of the switches with a Scotch-Brite. Also clean the side of the tank that these switches are touching. Because you are getting propane these are must likely working properly.

There is also a "flame sensor" built in to the end of the sparker. It is does not "sense" a flame within 10-15 seconds after turning on the gas, it will turn it off and light the fault light inside.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
check the burner tube for spider webs. Since you've not used the LP much there's a possibility of a nest or web in either the pilot or main burner tubes.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Direct Ignition Section---Pg 10 - 15
Read how/why and what

Suburban Water Heater Service Manual

This would've been nice to have with the coach. Definitely not the manual that came with the hw heater.

Thanks for the find.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Direct Ignition Section---Pg 10 - 15
Read how/why and what

Suburban Water Heater Service Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31