cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump on fiver periodically pulses

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump, which seems to work great as far as pressure and volume, every few seconds, maybe every five or so, slightly pulses. You hear a slight thump and the lights flicker just a slight bit. I’ve definitely determined it’s the pump. Turn it off, and the thumping quits. It seems the pressure drops just a little, just enough to kick on the pump which immediately applies enough pressure to shut it off again. I am virtually positive I have no leaks, which would have explained the problem. There’s no sign of a leak anywhere. So I’m wondering (first, do any of my thoughts thus far seem right) is there possibly a check valve that would allow water to flow back into my freshwater tank, just a little, just enough to relieve a little pressure in the pipes and therefore momentarily turn on the pump. It only turns on for a fraction of a second. It really sounds just like a bump. If so, is the check valve in the pump. It’s one of those SHURflo Revolution pumps that I put in five or six years ago to replace the OEM 4004 pump. It’s just started this recently.
13 REPLIES 13

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
I also found on mine the drain tubes under for draining the plumbing were not tight enough

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I've found my toilet trickling to be the cause. A little wiggling of the flusher fixed it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Could be within the pump itself. There may be a rebuild kit available for your model. Not a big job, but when my pump was having similar issues I opted to just replace the pump as it wasn't that expensive.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We had something similar once, the city water connection check valve had some leak by.....took a while to find it!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem a couple years ago, but the pulsating became more and more increased. Eventually, I decided to buy a new pump after LOTS and LOTS of exploring searching for leaks.

After I pulled the old pump, I found the problem. It had 3 screws completely missing that held the impeller assembly in place. I found 2 of the missing screws and figure the 3rd fell into the underbelly and I'd never find it. So I installed a new pump and never had the problem again.

Check the screws on the pump itself. Make sure they are all tight and not sucking or allowing the seal to be broken, causing the water to back feel into the tank.

And just an FYI, it only did the pulsating when the water heater was on. When the water heater was cold, the pump never did the pulsing.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have outside shower make sure you include that in your search for "water leaks" - easy to overlook but they tend to have issues.
Kevin

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Also check the water heater drain and pop off.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Could also just be some schmutz in the check valve seat, keeping it from closing all the way.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I will indeed verify that there are no plumbing leaks, but I’m almost positive there are none. I’m then going to find the check valve that could be offending (there could be more than one check valve, and, if so, I’ll replace them all). Though I’d forgotten till now, I remember quite a few years back I had a situation where my fresh water tank was mysteriously filling while on city water, and it was a check valve. Maybe the one I put in is slowly leaking. Or it could be the pump diaphragm. At least I feel I’m on the right track and will start searching down the culprit.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
rbcamping wrote:
If you have no leaks, then it's probably the check valves in the pump leaking down. They make rebuild kits for most pumps which usually come with a new diaphragm and new valves. Look online with your pump part number

^^^^ YES!
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Good chance it's backflow in the pump but do a good check of the plumbing. It could be a really slow leak and if left to continue could do a lot of damage before you find it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no leaks, then it's probably the check valves in the pump leaking down. They make rebuild kits for most pumps which usually come with a new diaphragm and new valves. Look online with your pump part number

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, as I read your post, I was thinking along those lines.
Is it possible that the pump is leaking within itself? Relaxing the pressure?

I have a boat, different water pump, but I have seen them leak inside themselves from years of wear. Then they dont pump or move water as efficiently.
gh