cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at NY state parks after they close

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we drove to I believe 8th lake state capground, it was closed for the season but we drove in and walked , and there were a couple RVs there spending the night.
I assumed they would throw you out ... any id a if this is normal ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
12 REPLIES 12

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
In PA a number of state parks have certain loops/spots that are available "after season" Call and ask ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its a select few and to my knowledge they are only located in in the eastern side of the state. I believe Promised Land has some sites in Pickerel Point open year round, and French Creek has the C loop open. But they're open and you're still paying the fees if the water is on or not.

The OP asked about camping when parks in NY are closed, and the way I took it they meant as in free? Perhaps I was wrong how I interpreted that. Knowing what I know from the times I worked in NY, and how deep they had their hands in my pockets, I don't see them letting you do anything for free.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In Vermont, the state park campgrounds all close more or less around Columbus Day or thereabout. However, between November 1st and April 15th, off-season camping is permitted with a free permit, but you're on your own for getting in and out (some have locked gates, some leave the gates open), for taking care of trash, for restroom facilities, for shoveling yourself out after a snowstorm, etc.

New York probably has different rules.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the West, camping changes with elevation. I am going camping at the end of October in Yosemite at a campground that is open all year. Plenty of lower elevations CGs stay open. You just have to check for closing dates.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
In PA a number of state parks have certain loops/spots that are available "after season" Call and ask ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
In Connecticut as far as I know the state park campgrounds are closed in October and gated. The parks are open for walking / bike riding, but not camping. They are randomly patrolled by Rangers.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Maine, the State Park campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend.
However, you can still go camping until Columbus Day depending on the weather (Call first).
There is no one at the gate....but the prices are posted and you just put the money in the envelopes provided. Once in a while, a ranger will come to pick up the envelopes and tour the campground.
You first go and pick your site (water/electricity sites are still available). Once you're setup, you go back at the front gate and pay.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
At most state parks I have been to they have gates. When campgrounds are closed the gates are closed and locked. If the gates are open, even if water is shut off to showerhouses and FHU sites etc the campground is still open, even if booths and contact stations are not manned.

Usually they have a self service honor system box for payment and registration somewhere.

Here in PA some state park campgrounds are open all year, mostly in the eastern part of the state. Elsewhere, where we get the real snow, they all close third weekend of Oct with some closing Mid Dec after the main deer season. None I know of allow you in after closing and I have never seen one in any other state that did so either when closed. With state DNRs involved I find it hard to believe theyll let you in when closed.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Allegany SP few years back in Feb. Had a heated 4 bunk bed cabin. Had to walk to bath house which are locked and private and had showers in them as well (also heated). IMO very nice.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about all NYS Parks, but Letchworth and Allegany are gated and locked when closed.

Allegany does have some areas open year round so call.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The 51 NY State campgrounds in the Adirondacks and Catskills are managed by the NYS Dept of Conservation. They can be reached at 518-402-9428 for information about after season campground stays.

There are 66 NY State Parks with campgrounds managed by the NYS Dept. of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. They can be reached at 518-474-0456 for information about after season stays.

great info thx
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The 51 NY State campgrounds in the Adirondacks and Catskills are managed by the NYS Dept of Conservation. They can be reached at 518-402-9428 for information about after season campground stays.

There are 66 NY State Parks with campgrounds managed by the NYS Dept. of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. They can be reached at 518-474-0456 for information about after season stays.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was paddling the lower Colorado River one time in Februrary. It was hard to find any sandy beaches. We found one at a state park that was closed. It was great to have a picnic table. No one was there. In fact at night we could not see one light. Just out there with the coyote choir and a herd of wild donkeys and a couple of great horned owls.