cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintaining tirepressure.

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We recently took an extended trip to Glacier NP in Montana from the east coast. Before leaving, I over filled the tires to 88 (recommended 82) figuring it would get colder (37deg) and there was an increase in altitude (5,600ft). Sure enough by time we got to Glacier, pressure was down to 81. Again over filled to allow for temp changes. Pressure fluctuated, mostly higher, as temp went up and lower altiude. As we got further east looked like cooler temps. Over fill resulted in harsher ride, but could not see adding or letting air out every day. Is there a happy medium to this problem?
15 REPLIES 15

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who shared their experience. I have a TPMS so I usually check in the AM before starting out. According to Goodyear the min pressure for the G670 is 80lbs. Since we were spending several weeks at higher altitude and cooler temps, I decided to up the pressure some what since it was at 81lbs; rather too much than not enough.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
With all due respect to the OP, airing tires has been discussed numerous times. Air the tires when cold, i.e., before rolling. Ambient temp is not taken into consideration as it constantly changes. Tire mfgrs. have taken that in consideration in their inflation tables.

If you normally air to the max psi indicated on the tires, do so. The tires will naturally heat up in use. I use a temp gun and look for an anomaly. If three tires are, say, 120 degrees, and one tire is 160, that indicates a problem that should be investigated.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Wire Man wrote:
I always fill mine to the โ€œmax pressureโ€ that is listed on the Tire itself because we tow a trailer. Biggest reason for tire failure is over heating which is compounded by under inflation.

x2

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a "if we drive today the tire pressure is checked" guy...safety first.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire pressure set at "cold" before driving is not static. set it once and leave it.anyone with a tire pressure monitor will tell you the it never stays the same while driving ,generally going up with temp and speed and of course altitude but to a lesser degree.Even sunshine on a tire will raise its temp. I've seen 15-20 lbs gain while driving.
Set it and DON'T forget it but do NOT mess it. Better yet get a working TPMS and turn it on.. it will confirm accurate pressure. Chasing 1-3lbs pressure change ea day is over the need. ( Yes I guess you could say a bit OCD) As a commercial driver i Didn't even have a tire gauge for my daily pretrips . If it makes you happy though ๐Ÿ™‚ check away!
Bill

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I check my tire pressures at the beginning of any travel day. I also check it frequently while traveling, but I have TST TPMS. Once settled, I turn it off. I run my tire pressure according to axle weight plus 5. 110/Front 100/Drive 90/tag. Tires wear evenly and coach rides smoothly. Even with changes in altitude I'm still within chart specs. From Yuma @ 117 to Amarillo @ 65 degrees they're still within specs. I only rarely add or subtract pressure in our travels....Just my experience....I could open another can of worms and talk about tire temperatures, but that's another post.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I have 6 motorized vehicles and 4 trailers. I live at 4200 ft and drive to 6200ft regularly. Years ago I figured out that the door post pressure on the vehicles would lead to edge wear on the tires at this altitude. The pressure on the sticker was based on sea level. I add 5 lbs to each door post pressure and have had even wearing tires for the last 10 years. I do the same for the trailer tires. 5 over the max on the sidewall and I have never had center tread wear before the side tread. Your experience may be different but that is my experience.
Turret Class traveler

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:

I'm amazed at how many people SAY they check their pressure everyday. It's surprising they don't create more issues than they avoid.

:? :h How would checking the tire pressure each day create issues? Or even saying one does, whether one actually does or does not check it? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a tire that was damaged by having a pressure gauge applied to it; the only possible scenario I can think of where that might be problematic is if the tire valve were to wear out from extra use cycles, and that just doesn't seem to happen much (and I, at least, have a couple of valve cores and a valve tool in the motorhome).

I do check my tire pressures every travel day before setting out. It's infrequent that I need to adjust anything, but occasionally it is called for.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I run my tires at a pressure that is recommended by the tire chart, according to my axle weights. Once I determined that weight, I wrote it down on my compressor. I check my tire pressure twice a year, once during my yearly service and once in between servicing the coach. In 15 years of owning a DP, the tire pressure has only been off by 1-3 psi after six months and most of that may have just been a difference I outside temperature.

For the first 13 years, I didn't use a TPMS system. I now use one, but it's only to see if I had a tire lose pressure overnight.

I'm amazed at how many people SAY they check their pressure everyday. It's surprising they don't create more issues than they avoid.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If wildtoad is saying โ€œfollow manufacturerโ€™s specifications,โ€ X2. Go figure! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here we go again... For a motorhome, in 99.9% of the situations the pressure indicated on the tires is nice to know, but NOT relevant since you may never need that much pressure to support the actual weight of your motorhome. Trailer and fifth wheels are different.

If you have no additional information, then use the pressure that is on the placard inside your motorhome.

If you only know your GAWRโ€™s then use that along with the tire manufacturerโ€™s weight tables if you find the placard weight too harsh.

If you know your actual axle weights, or better yet four corner weights, then use that information along with tire manufacturers weight tables to set your tire pressures for where you are at the moment.

The pressures in the charts assume some fluctuations due to temperature and altitude for short term. Adjusting pressures frequently/daily is a sign you have OCD and you need to see a doctor.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cars/Motorhomes/AND Trailers all have a VIN type sticker showing the CORRECT pressure for that vehicle as equipped from the factory. USE those figures UNLESS you have a 4 corner weight done by the A Weight We Go, people at rallies. Doug

PS, do some of you MAX out your pressure on your Automobiles???? Regardless of what the Manual states???

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I fill per scaler weight. But "Cold" is 70 dergrees for practical purpsoes. (If you ask them the tire maker can tell you more precisely) no need to over fill due to 20 degrees out.

On my class A I can tell you filling the back tires just got 1000 percent easier.> DUALLY VALVES. .YES. DUALLY VALVES.. No more removing the simulator and reaching into where I can't see to do the job
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I always fill mine to the โ€œmax pressureโ€ that is listed on the Tire itself because we tow a trailer. Biggest reason for tire failure is over heating which is compounded by under inflation.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net